Personality in the womb?

Both of my sons had distinct personalities in utero. My oldest gave me heart palpitations and he is still very active at six years old. I called my younger son a jokster when I was 3 months pregnant because I thought I'd lost him. He is quite the clown today, always hiding stuff and very sneaky. Just as importantly, I read to them throughout my pregnancy. Babies can hear at about 6 months gestation, and there's some research that indicates they can learn too! No matter, there's nothing that soothes them more than mama's voice.

I called DS1 my little monkey and still do - he made me laugh while I was pregnant with him - always had the hiccups and his kicks/pokes/punches always happened when I needed a happy thought or smile.

I call DS2 monkey #2, but I think he is cheekier than he is funny. He is less active, and won't let DH feel him move. In my 12 week ultrasound, he was sticking out his tongue!!!

I don't think it's possible to assign a personality to your growing baby, that only comes when you meet them and they show it to you, but I do believe that mothers have an instinct about their child and can sense certain things about them.

I think some traits are biological and others environmental :) My Eamon is just like his father, and Liam is just like me. Eamon was temperemental and highly-strung from birth, Liam started off clingy but happy when he was with me... both are still the same!

I can't wait to see what my little one is like :cloud9:

I believe that babies are born with a genetic pre-disposition to 'be' a certain way (shy, adventurous, calm, hyperactive etc) but that it's the nurture that determines whether that will be fulfilled or if they will be encouraged (deliberately or otherwise) to act differently.

Hubbie and I are quite different, I'm very relaxed and optimistic whereas he is much more of a worrier and likes to have all his bases covered. It's why we work so well together! It'll be interesting to see which one of us baby takes after :)

My baby's activity level and patterns are all the same as when I was pregnant. I couldn't even do kick counts because she simply wasn't very active, and she's pretty "lazy" now too. Just very laid back.

I'm sure it'll catch up with her, though... I was the same as a baby and then became a non-stop talking machine when I was a toddler...

I found this to be true. When I was pregnant with DS he was SO busy in there. I used to joke he was having soccer practice every night. He was always moving and kicking (hard!) constantly. Since he's been born he has been in constant motion-- wants to be GOING all the time, just like he was in my tummy :)

My baby wasn't overly active when I was pregnant. He never moved much through the night, no kicks in the ribs etc. mostly I just felt rolls.

From the day he was born he never slept and was never still :haha: he don't STTN till after his birthday and is on the go all the time. Totally the opposite of how he was before was born :)

I personally think it can go both ways. For example, while one of my friends was pregnant, her baby was a huge kicker, moved around a LOT, etc. and turned out after her baby was born, they moved a lot and was quite responsive. I don't think it goes too in depth into personality development in the womb, but I guess every baby is different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->