Pharmacists, Nurses?

jjbubbles28

Reaction score
I work in a hospital setting and wasnt sure where to find the medications that would be dangerous to touch now that I am pregnant.

Most will say on them. It's mostly cytotoxic drugs that you are best to avoid. And finasteride- be wary of that one. But most things are ok otherwise. I work at hospital too and had a wee scare during my pregnancy with my son when I came into contact with something cytotoxic (a patient had an unlabelled box in with them and I didn't realise it was cytotoxic till after I'd handled it!) but the pharmacist assured me risk was minimal, and no ill effects to note. Your employer should go through a risk assessment with you at any rate so that you are not exposed to anything, or any situations, that you shouldn't be. Also, perhaps have a wee chat with your ward pharmacist who can give you pointers. It depends where you work as to what you might potentially be exposed to. Xxx

you need to tell your hr health and safety person and get a risk assessment done, I'm sure they will be able to give you details.

I always wear gloves when on a drug round/ giving out medicines to patients when pregnant!

It wouldnt be easy for me to wear gloves the entire day. We bounce around from the room assisting, to dispensing, to phones etc. Thanks for the responses and I will check with hr

It wouldnt be easy for me to wear gloves the entire day. We bounce around from the room assisting, to dispensing, to phones etc. Thanks for the responses and I will check with hr

Oh I didn't mean for the whole day just whilst doing the meds. In hospital we have mainly set times to do rounds and then only a few in between xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->