Picking up children while preggers?

emicakess

Reaction score
I am a preschool teacher and I have 10 18 months - 2 years, 20 2-4 year olds and 10 5 year olds in my school. All who like to be picked up, rocked to sleep ect lol. When should I stop picking them up?

stalking.. would like to know if its still ok to pick up my 21lb daughter xx

My daughter is 19lbs and can't crawl yet, let alone walk, so I have no choice but to pick her up.

At 18weeks pregnant, I happily picked up my nephew who's 5 years old and carried him around. I wasn't uncomfortable at all, and I'm currently 23 weeks and my son is still kicking around.

I'm sure it goes with any normal "weight limit", as long as you're honestly comfortable and able to pick up the child/ren without a problem there shouldn't be any problem at all. 25 to 30 pounds isn't going to be harmful at all, but as long as you're not lifting/holding someone that's completely dead weighting you. :p I'm sure your body will actually tell you when "enough is enough". n.n;

At 27 weeks I'm still picking up DS and he's nearly 13kg but I really have no choice in the matter most of the time!

As yours is a work issue though (and perhaps avoidable or able to be minimised) I would talk to your OB/MW.

I'm sure it's not ideal but I have a 25 lb DS that I still need to pick up. He can walk but just putting him in the car seat, crib, and his high chair all require me to lift him. I've been a bit scared about it all b/c I've had some bleeding during this pregnancy on a couple occasions.

My 18 month old is 28lbs and i still have to lift her lots. Lifting things in pregnancy is fine if you are used to lifting the weight beforehand. It really only becomes an issue if you have bleeding etc and drs advise against it. Provided it doesnt hurt to lift then its fine xx

I asked this, the answer what i was told was you can pick whatever your used to up, as i have a 3 and a half year old that has problems walking for a long time

Since I have had bleeding and a low lying placenta I have already been advised not to pick up anything over 20lbs.

My doctor gave me a 25 pound weight limit with my first baby. With my second pregnancy, I stuck to that weight limit, as my "older" child had only just turned 17 months and was about 20-21 pounds when his little brother was born. Now, I have a 6 month old (18 pounds) and a 23 month old (26 pounds), and sometimes, I have to pick BOTH up at the same time. This is an emergency situation, but it has come up about 8 times throughout this pregnancy, now at 17 weeks. It hasn't caused any problems so far, but my doctor told me that I definitely should NOT be picking up both and should use my older child as my weight limit, expanding my limit as his weight goes up. In THIRD tri, lifting heavy objects can cause issues with the placenta, so it's not worth the risk. However, it can still cause issues before then and/or can cause real problems with your tummy muscles as your body is growing.

I recommend starting NOW not to lift anything over 25 pounds and then talking to your doctor about it later. (If you hold a certain child regularly who might be over 25 pounds, your body may or may not be used to it, so just listen to your body and use precautions.) However, there's no reason why you can't hold a child of any weight while you're seated. Have the child go up to you for a rock or a cuddle if needed. Just to be safe!

My doctor gave me a 25 pound weight limit with my first baby. With my second pregnancy, I stuck to that weight limit, as my "older" child had only just turned 17 months and was about 20-21 pounds when his little brother was born. Now, I have a 6 month old (18 pounds) and a 23 month old (26 pounds), and sometimes, I have to pick BOTH up at the same time. This is an emergency situation, but it has come up about 8 times throughout this pregnancy, now at 17 weeks. It hasn't caused any problems so far, but my doctor told me that I definitely should NOT be picking up both and should use my older child as my weight limit, expanding my limit as his weight goes up. In THIRD tri, lifting heavy objects can cause issues with the placenta, so it's not worth the risk. However, it can still cause issues before then and/or can cause real problems with your tummy muscles as your body is growing.

I recommend starting NOW not to lift anything over 25 pounds and then talking to your doctor about it later. (If you hold a certain child regularly who might be over 25 pounds, your body may or may not be used to it, so just listen to your body and use precautions.) However, there's no reason why you can't hold a child of any weight while you're seated. Have the child go up to you for a rock or a cuddle if needed. Just to be safe!

Thank you! I guess I just need to talk to my doc about it, because I have had brown spotting. She just never said anything so I figured I could still do my normal job. But my boss keeps yelling at me when I pick kids up. I just had this thought in my head that there wasnt really a weight limit until a certain point (third tri?). Its SO hard not to pick my kids up when they are hurt/to remove them from a situation/carrying them to their cot after I have rocked them to sleep.

I.got moved from preschool into the baby room when they found out I was pg with my toddler. There were some big kids in that year and I'm only 5ft tall so.guessing.that played a part.

Now I have a 2 stone, non walking toddler! Obviously he has to be carried. But I sit him.quite high up on my.body so it isn't that bad

This never crossed my mind (silly I know!) I have stopped trying to carry my dd as she can walk not a great walker. But instead of carrying her up the stairs I let her crawl up them and obviously I walk behind her so she doesn't fall but some times I do need to carry her (put her in her cot,high chair, car seat) but I don't pick my 4year old but to be honest he doesn't new to be carried or picked up cause he 'is a big boy' as he likes to keep telling me x

My mw told me I can carry on picking my dd1 up when I was pregnant with dd2 as I have allways done it so my body is use to me doing it and she was 4 years old at the time the only time I stopped carrying her was when I couldn't any more as it was uncomfortable.

I will carry both my dds this time as well not that dd1 wants/needs 2 be carried anymore but I will if she needs me to, but I have had easy pregnancies so maybe just ask 2 be safe as it maybe different 4 everyone

I hadn't even considered this, picking my DD up to put in high chair, car seat etc is part of every day life. And nothing beats scooping her up in my arms for a big cuddle. She's 25lb

I've just had to carry my son back from the shop thanks to him having a massive paddy and splitting his lip! It's hard for me coz my son has something wrong with his foot. He gets frustrated coz his mind tells him he can walk but obviously his legs aren't willing. I've just registered me with a gp (recently moved house) so I'm going for an New patient appointment this afternoon.

I think theres a big difference between picking up your own one child, and a lot of other peoples children. I might pick up DS a handful of times a day, but you can bet someone working in child care is picking them up many more times a day. I'd say probably best to avoid if possible.

I've just had to carry my son back from the shop thanks to him having a massive paddy and splitting his lip! It's hard for me coz my son has something wrong with his foot. He gets frustrated coz his mind tells him he can walk but obviously his legs aren't willing. I've just registered me with a gp (recently moved house) so I'm going for an New patient appointment this afternoon.

Poor guy! That must be so frustrating for him!

I think avoid picking up huge squirmy children if you can but I really don't think it should matter if you were doing it before. I'm still picking up my 2stone 2yo and 4st 4yo! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. but if it's work they might need to risk assess I guess? I think maybe try to avoid getting kicked in the stomach more than anything xxxxx

I think avoid picking up huge squirmy children if you can but I really don't think it should matter if you were doing it before. I'm still picking up my 2stone 2yo and 4st 4yo! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. but if it's work they might need to risk assess I guess? I think maybe try to avoid getting kicked in the stomach more than anything xxxxx

So dont pick up the 4 year olds having tantrums and dont let the 2 year olds bounce up and down on my stomach anymore lol got it! Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->