piercing baby's ears???

Nope I won't be her body her choice I don't understand how any mother could put there baby through unnecessary pain to be stylish Claires next to me were piercing a 6 month old the baby moved and the girl accidentally pierced through her cheek :s xx

I don't think its about being "stylish" for most people. I think it really is better to get little girls' ears peirced when they are younger because it heals easier and is less likley to close. I got mine poerced when I was 10 months old and they never been infected and never close even when I don't where earrings for years. I can't even get peircings now because my skin scars over it :blush: I actually had to have minor surgery because of a cartilage piercing gone bad. I don't want my LO to end up like me and NEVER have the option of piercing her ears and forever being stuck wearing stupid clip-ons. I really am thankful that I got mine done as an infant.

My baby's ears were pierced when she was 3 days old :D at the hospital, by a nurse. She didn't even wake up... it's totally a cultural thing and very normal here. My ears were pierced when I was born and I was always happy that I did not remember it... if she doesn't like it she can stop wearing earrings.

We got Sophia done at 3 months. I am originally from Brazil and its normal there. I guess its a cultural difference. I dont see anything wrong with it, she didnt cry, it healed really well because she doesnt touch them or get them dirty, and if she doesnt like them when she is older she can take them out. I got mine done as a baby and am happy about it.

I seriously dont understand why everyone gets into just a flap about it!!!

yep, i got my first daughters done at three years, and my lo whi is fifteen months will get hers done soon:)

My family is italian so it is pretty common. I was three when I had mine done and had it done by my grandfather in Italy (who was a jeweler) They probably would have been done earlier if we had gone to visit earlier, but that was my first trip to Italy so we waited til then. It didn't hurt- just made me flinch. I personally don't like the look on babies and wouldn't want to deal with the hassle so I will wait til LO wants it done. I for sure wouldn't go to a place like claires though lol, no matter how old she is! Especially a baby I would take to someone who had been doing this for many years and had prior experience piercing baby ears!

It's absolutely normal to me and will have my pediatricians office take care of that for my daughter. I had my ears pierced at 9 months and according to my mom never any problem with it!

I had mine pierced when I was three, and I'm glad my mother had it done. I didn't wear earrings for seven years and the holes didn't close up. I got a second set when I was ten, and they closed up after I didn't wear earrings for two weeks. That said, I want to make it a special occasion for my daughter so we probably won't do it until she's old enough to understand what's happening.

That's just my personal decision for my daughter. We all have to make decisions for our LOs every day, and I'm certainly not about to tell another mother what's best for their child.

Someone asked me when I was going to have my daughter's ears pierced the other day. I was a bit shocked, it was a friend of mine and she said she had her daughter's ears pierced when she was only a few weeks old. Personally I can't stand seeing babies with earrings in...and I would be worried about them becoming infected, because they would pull at them!

Has anyone here had their baby's ears pierced? I had mine pierced for my 8th birthday.

I had my ears pierced when I was maybe 1 or 2 and they DID get infected (mostly from my parents not cleaning them I suspect, as well as I am allergic to most earrings.). My ears swelled up huge and my dad had to cut the earrings out with a pocket knife.

My husband and I agreed that Evelyn will not get her ears pierced until she is big enough to ask us herself! : )

I think its a culture thing. Where I live most baby girls do have them done. I had mine done at 3 weeks old

I don't have a baby girl, But IMO their is nothing wrong with it. I had my ears peirced on my 1st birthday and had no infections or problems with them. If i have a baby girl in the near future i will also be getting hers done on her 1st b'day.

Everyone has different ideas and opinions, Each to their own i say.

Here in the US, it's incredibly common for girls to have their ears pierced at 4+ months and honestly, I'd be lying if I said it never crossed my mind. But in the end, I went with my gut instinct. I wanted to wait. I wanted her to ask. I want to make a really huge, fun girly day out of it! Go to the movies, get our nails done, etc., and then get her ears done. I need her to understand the responsibilities and know they have to be cleaned 2x a day. She has to understand that she can't play with them, can't touch them necessarily, and any wrong movement can rip them out of her ears. This is something I decided I/she wasn't ready for quite yet especially with the fact that she tugs on her ears when she's tired.

I respect everyone's decision and never judge anyone but I can't wait to have my big girly day with my LO! :D

Someone asked me when I was going to have my daughter's ears pierced the other day. I was a bit shocked, it was a friend of mine and she said she had her daughter's ears pierced when she was only a few weeks old. Personally I can't stand seeing babies with earrings in...and I would be worried about them becoming infected, because they would pull at them!

Has anyone here had their baby's ears pierced? I had mine pierced for my 8th birthday.

I don't agree with piercing a baby's ears. I think it's best done when they are old enough to care for the piercings themselves, and that it's a right of passage for a little girl that I don't believe we should take from her. I understand that some mommies do this because it can be hard to tell that their LO is a girl (my mother used Scotch Tape to tape a bow to my head -- back in the days before these cute little headbands became the norm), but I believe there are far better ways to do so that aren't permanent.

I'm not concerned about infection -- as I know mommies probably take good care of the piercings for their babies -- for me, it's just a right of passage that a little girl should have growing up.

Cultural piercings don't bother me, especially if it's associated with a ritual or ceremony. I'm big on traditions. All in all, there are much worse things to do to your child out there; baby piercings are pretty innocuous. So to each mommy their own; just sharing my personal belief about getting my (someday hope to have a little girl) potential daughter's ears done.

I've been told off for voicing my opinion on this before, but seeings as you're asking...

It's one of the only things I feel strongly about, and I think that inflicting pain on a defenceless baby for the sake of vanity is just plain mean. Cultural or not, we all have choices when it comes to our babies.

Willow can have hers done when she's old enough to ask, choose for herself and be able to be responsible enough to look after them.

No none of my babies ears are pierced, although I do have boys. If I had a girl she wouldn't have hers done until she could ask for them and understand about keeping them clean etc. I couldn't imagine causing my baby pain because I wanted them to have their ears pierced, plus the risk of infection is higher due to an immature immune system. I've seen one baby have their ears pierced and like Lozzy said she screamed :( Broke my heart x

Me and Oh have agreed she can have them done in the summer holidays before she starts secondary school... so nearly 12. We wont budge on that. I dont agree with piercing a babies ears, i dont think it looks right, but thats my personal view. I was 7 when i had mine done and looking back even then it was to young.

I won't be doing it.

I'd rather she made that decision for herself when she is old enough and responsible enough to look after them.

I won't be doing it either, I hae very strong opinions on this which (as a pp has said) I've been told off for before so I won't go off on my usual rant but I will say I
Think it's really cruel.

I just really hate the look of them, any child before school age I just don't like to see it.
Each to thier own but if you can handle holding a child still whilst a gun shoots a pin though her ear then youve more stomach than me!
I can't bear seeing a stranger put one in mine to for medical purposes let alone to look cute!

I've heard so many bad things about the Claire's training, avoid at all costs!! A tattooist / piercer is far better IMO and probably a lot cleaner!!

I just really hate the look of them, any child before school age I just don't like to see it.
Each to thier own but if you can handle holding a child still whilst a gun shoots a pin though her ear then youve more stomach than me!
I can't bear seeing a stranger put one in mine to for medical purposes let alone to look cute!

I've heard so many bad things about the Claire's training, avoid at all costs!! A tattooist / piercer is far better IMO and probably a lot cleaner!!

Propper tattooists won't pierce a baby. The one on my town won't pierce any one under 16.

If a have a daughter I will wait till she asks, I hope my son never asks, I really don't like boys with earrings, but if he wanted it done as a teenager I'd let him.

I have no problem with other people doing it. Most people who do it for cultural reasons do it very young, sometimes at birth, and I don't think it causes that much distress to a baby at that age, over in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->