piercing baby's ears???

I won't be, and I don't understand why people would want to tbh. Why put ur LO through unnecessary pain, both initially and to keep them clean, plus the risk of infection, catching on clothing, etc. I don't get it:shrug:

To tell you the truth:
My baby did not even wake up when she got her ears pierced, so I don't think it was terrible unnecessary pain. Since she was so little, she never touched them or anything and I was told to just leave them alone. They're tiny, and they're made for babies (so the back won't be pointy, and they won't fall off). They haven't been any kind of problem really.

Are all of you ladies who says that it "looks wrong" thinking that people who do beauty pageants with their children are wrong to? because THAT to me is MUCH worse then getting your LO's ears pierced. I mean come on! IMO there are worse things that can be done, and MOST of the time the LO's don't even wake up.

yes, i dont like pagaents either. i feel that contests over sexualise children and cause unecessary pressure on them. earrings however, can cause injury and infection, so to me it is a big deal.

Are all of you ladies who says that it "looks wrong" thinking that people who do beauty pageants with their children are wrong to? because THAT to me is MUCH worse then getting your LO's ears pierced. I mean come on! IMO there are worse things that can be done, and MOST of the time the LO's don't even wake up.

yes, i dont like pagaents either. like pierced ears i feel that contests over sexualise children and cause unecessary pressure on them. earrings however, can cause injury and infection, so to me it is a big deal.

how do pierced ears over sexualize children?!

I wish my mom had got it done to me when I was little! I've always hated needles and such, but I got it done when I was 12 and I cried for hours. :p
I would have rather been a baby and not remembered it. I don't know many girls who don't want or have their ears pierced. I think I might get my daughters ears pierced when she is 6 months old or so.

I personally dont agree with permanently altering a baby's body for non medical reasons (eg piercings and circumcisions for not medical reasons).

Also, why is seen as "acceptable" to get a babies ears pierced but not say their nose or eyebrow? Whats the difference? Surely its the same thing? In all circumstances you are inflicting pain and a body image of your choosing onto your baby, why are ears more acceptable than other body parts to pierce?

yes, i dont like pagaents either. like pierced ears i feel that contests over sexualise children and cause unecessary pressure on them. earrings however, can cause injury and infection, so to me it is a big deal.

how do pierced ears over sexualize children?!

oops! was cooking while typing and clearly lost my train of thought. have edited the post.

I personally dont agree with permanently altering a baby's body for non medical reasons (eg piercings and circumcisions for not medical reasons).

Also, why is seen as "acceptable" to get a babies ears pierced but not say their nose or eyebrow? Whats the difference? Surely its the same thing? In all circumstances you are inflicting pain and a body image of your choosing onto your baby, why are ears more acceptable than other body parts to pierce?

I personally wouldn't do ear piercing either. But like circumcision, it can be a cultural thing. Not always purely cosmetic.

I will wait until LO is old enough to ask for them done. I want it to be an experience for her, I remember getting mine done when I was 6, I'd begged for ages (wasn't going to have them done until I was 10 but my mum got sick of me asking!) and was so excited and I didn't flinch, I even asked if they'd done it yet!

I think it's their body their decision!

If I shoved a needle through the skin on willows hand that wouldht be ok....it baffles me that its suddenly ok to do it to ears just for vanitys sake.

I won't be, and I don't understand why people would want to tbh. Why put ur LO through unnecessary pain, both initially and to keep them clean, plus the risk of infection, catching on clothing, etc. I don't get it:shrug:

To tell you the truth:
My baby did not even wake up when she got her ears pierced, so I don't think it was terrible unnecessary pain. Since she was so little, she never touched them or anything and I was told to just leave them alone. They're tiny, and they're made for babies (so the back won't be pointy, and they won't fall off). They haven't been any kind of problem really.

Glad your LO didn't have any problems. Your LO, your call. :flower:

I find the cultural argument a bit of a difficult one really. Why does it make something ok just because it is common in a particular culture? Stoning women to death for adultery is permitted in some cultures... doesn't make it ok....

I therefore don't see that, like with circumcision, having it done for cutural/religious reasons makes it any better. If something is wrong, it's wrong, irrespective of the reasons why it is done.

Just my opinion obviously!

I find the cultural argument a bit of a difficult one really. Why does it make something ok just because it is common in a particular culture? Stoning women to death for adultery is permitted in some cultures... doesn't make it ok....

I therefore don't see that, like with circumcision, having it done for cutural/religious reasons makes it any better. If something is wrong, it's wrong, irrespective of the reasons why it is done.

I think there's big jump between stoning someone to death and piericing ears. One is what I would imagine to be long torture resulting in the death, where as the other is generally less than a minute of pain. Not speaking from personal experience as I wouldn't choose it for my child, even if I had a daughter, just going based on other's experiences I've read or heard of. Sure there's alway infection/complication risk but 99.9% experiences I've heard of are quick and easy with no complications.

Not advocating it, just trying to state that I understand while I may not agree with it, others may come from a different background, culture ect than me, so I try not to judge them as "cruel" for peircing their babies ears.

if youre not apart of that culture or religion you cant really understand can you?

and whats to say its so wrong? i just dont get it!:)

Babies are enough work as it is. Why add to the workload with keeping piercings clean?

Babies are enough work as it is. Why add to the workload with keeping piercings clean?

I was told to just leave them alone, maybe because my baby was really little so there was no chance of dirt or whatever getting into them. It was zero additional workload.

I understand people not wanting to get babies' ears pierced, but it was really not a big deal... not even a little deal :)

I got mine done when I was 11. I just don't like the look of it. That's why I wouldn't do it.

I personally won't be getting my daughters ears done until she can ask for it herself, understand what it entails AND care for them herself correctly.

Nope. A few people keep asking even MIL keeps saying she wants her niece to take my bub to get them done because she took my o/h when he was little.

No thanks, I'll wait till she can make her own choice!

That's the thing, though. What's wrong to you may not be wrong to someone else. Who's to say YOUR perception of wrong is the correct one?

(Not trying to defend any particular cultural norm, just saying.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->