piercing baby's ears???

I just really hate the look of them, any child before school age I just don't like to see it.
Each to thier own but if you can handle holding a child still whilst a gun shoots a pin though her ear then youve more stomach than me!
I can't bear seeing a stranger put one in mine to for medical purposes let alone to look cute!

I've heard so many bad things about the Claire's training, avoid at all costs!! A tattooist / piercer is far better IMO and probably a lot cleaner!!

Propper tattooists won't pierce a baby. The one on my town won't pierce any one under 16.

So glad to hear that!!!!

What I really want to say is that for those who are against it but say something along the lines of "to each their own" or "their lo, their business" and THEN say "I dunno why they'd do it, etc....isn't this being judgmental/critical of those who decide to do it on their lo for whatever reason/purpose????? Not trying to stir up anything here. But it is kind of an oxymoron to say. Just saying, just wondering......

I'm probably guilty of this sort of thing.

I don't like pierced ears in babies. I'm against it for my LO. I just think it looks wrong and I've probably said that in the past alongside the comments you've put above. "but each to their own"

The thing is, I'm not judging any parent who gets their baby's ears pierced. It really is up to them and I certainly don't think they're "bad" parents for doing it. If I did think they were bad parents for it then I'd be judging or criticising. I just don't like the way it looks myself that's all. Just because a parent decides to pierce a baby's ears and I don't like the way it looks doesn't mean I'm suggesting they're bad parents!

Does that sort of read right?

What I really want to say is that for those who are against it but say something along the lines of "to each their own" or "their lo, their business" and THEN say "I dunno why they'd do it, etc....isn't this being judgmental/critical of those who decide to do it on their lo for whatever reason/purpose????? Not trying to stir up anything here. But it is kind of an oxymoron to say. Just saying, just wondering......

I'm probably guilty of this sort of thing.

I don't like pierced ears in babies. I'm against it for my LO. I just think it looks wrong and I've probably said that in the past alongside the comments you've put above. "but each to their own"

The thing is, I'm not judging any parent who gets their baby's ears pierced. It really is up to them and I certainly don't think they're "bad" parents for doing it. If I did think they were bad parents for it then I'd be judging or criticising. I just don't like the way it looks myself that's all. Just because a parent decides to pierce a baby's ears and I don't like the way it looks doesn't mean I'm suggesting they're bad parents!

Does that sort of read right?

I agree with you... If i see a baby wth there ears pierced i dont like it. I do think poor baby that must have hurt and why would the parents want that, BUT id never go up and say anything or even accuse them of being bad parents because you have no idea under what circumstances they were pierced. :)

My ears were pierced at 1year and one got caught on something and ripped out, I have a small scar on my ear now! I will let my lo have her ears pierced but not until she's old enough to decide for herself and ask.

I have no problem with ear piercing early, just not my choice :)

usually i wouldnt comment (if you've got nothing nice to say...) but since an opinion has been asked for...
i hate to see it, to me it is like trying to make babies look older than they are and i can't help but find it a bit disturbing. even more i dislike the thought of inflicting needless pain on anyone, let alone a baby who has had no choice and doesn't understand what's happening. i don't think that it is acceptable for cultural reasons if it simply because it is commonly done.

not trying to offend or be provocative, just my opinion.

No way, no how! When she's old enough to ask then that will be fine.

It looks wrong IMO

I think it looks awful and if I had a girl I wouldn't get them pierced until she could decide for herself. Really don't know how anyone can watch their baby go through pain for the sake of earrings.

I wouldn't do it but I know a few who have and their reasoning is 'If they get it done now by the time they are older they won't have to go through the pain and remember it and I will be cleaning them so they won't get infected' each to their own I say

Are all of you ladies who says that it "looks wrong" thinking that people who do beauty pageants with their children are wrong to? because THAT to me is MUCH worse then getting your LO's ears pierced. I mean come on! IMO there are worse things that can be done, and MOST of the time the LO's don't even wake up.

I wouldnt do it. I had a killer (and i mean killer) infection when i got mine- my ear lobe was so swelled up there was no hiding it, puss dripped out the back off my ears and my lymph nodes were the size of tennis balls.

IMO potentialy subjecting that to a child is cruel and i think they can look a bit tacky. I was hospitalized in agony all the time for weeks.

Claires accesories:

Avoid them like the plague. They use guns for piercing, to sterilise it- they run a little wet wipe over it. Its impossible to sterilise a gun, so think how many germs are on it??

If your going to get it done get it done by someone who pierces with a needle

Are all of you ladies who says that it "looks wrong" thinking that people who do beauty pageants with their children are wrong to? because THAT to me is MUCH worse then getting your LO's ears pierced. I mean come on! IMO there are worse things that can be done, and MOST of the time the LO's don't even wake up.

Absolutely I'm saying beauty pageants are much worse than getting a baby's ears pierced. There is a sexual element to beauty pageants with young children dancing provocatively/wearing skimpy swimsuits and flirting with the audience and actually in that case yes, I am judging. I don't think the parents are "bad" per se, but I question their motives. Children are meant ot be children, not young adults

Its a totally different ball park to ear piercing.

The difference for me is a simple case of I just don't like the look of earrings on a baby but I don't think it's morally wrong. Whereas I think beauty pageants are generally morally wrong for the reasons I've stated above. They sexualise young girls... (of course, there are likely to be ladies on here who like beauty pageants, who are planning on taking their daughters to them and entering them. I won't go into that and I'm sorry if I offend. But that is my opinion since it was asked for!)

I know alot of people think it looks ugly or weird or whatever but I genuinely find it strange when little girls don`t have pierced ears, so I guess it`s very much a cultural thing for me. Over here it`s (as far as I know) always done by medical staff. (We do have Claires but I don`t think they do piercing!)

I think they look really cute. To be honest I really don`t care if people judge me for having my daughters ears pierced, I completely understand that it`s not for everyone and at the end of the day I don`t make parenting or life choices for the approval of others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I won't be, and I don't understand why people would want to tbh. Why put ur LO through unnecessary pain, both initially and to keep them clean, plus the risk of infection, catching on clothing, etc. I don't get it:shrug:

No I don't agree with beauty pagents either as I want to teach my children beauty comes from within and that they are beautiful without tonnes of make uo etc. BUT I think piercing a babies ears is much worse as babies have immature immune systems meaning the risk of infection is much higher. Having an infected piercing I would not risk my baby going through that pain x

Not for us but we don't have to worry about it as we don't have any girls. Even if we did, I personally wouldn't do it but would never tell another parent that it's wrong or cruel or whatever.

EDIT Also detest beauty pagents, I think it teaches girls to value their superficial looks above other important things.

I nearly cried when my LO had his heal prick test - there's no way I would put my baby through anything that would cause pain if it wasn't necessary for medical reasons.

Having 12 ear piercings and one nose piercing myself, I can categorically say I would never ever put my baby through the pain. I chose to have each and every piercing done. Not just the initial pain of having it done, or that aftercare pain, but also the pain for weeks afterwards when you lie your head to one side on that ear.

If my child one day chooses to have her ears done, it will be an informed choice so that she understands the pain involved and she has the power to make her decision. It will definitely not be inflicted by myself for cosmetic reasons.

I cannot even take her for her jabs as I get so upset. I cannot imagine pinning her down to have metal shot through her ears unnecessarily.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is that causing avoidable suffering to a child for purely cosmetic reasons makes my blood boil.

I wont be getting Jessicas done either, until she is old enough to ask. Even then I would be wary. I had mine done around 8/9 and they went infected so took the studs out. Had them pierced again a few years later and the same thing happened!

I do have them done again now, but i rarely wear earrings, and when I do it starts to hurt after a few hours! Xx

I got Paiges done when she was 5 months old, and yes mostly because I like it... so it probably was a bit selfish. To be honest, I dont listen to people who put others done just because I chose to get her ears pierced... Does that make me a bad parent? Im certain it doesn't. She was young, and she never touched them once, they healed perfectly.
I got mine done as a baby, and I have never thought "I wish my mum hadnt done that" or anything along those lines, Im actually thankful for it.

At the end of the day, what you decide to do with your child is your business and no-one elses. If people dont agree, then fair enough but whos place is it to say its wrong? If it was so wrong then it wouldnt be allowed. I chose to get my LOs done and Im glad I did. Im happy, shes happy so whats wrong with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->