Pinching Nipples

S

Shifter

Ok, so it still sort of pinches, almost stings when Jack latches on. It usually eases off after a minute, if it doesn't I take him off and try again, assuming his latch is wrong. Is this normal? Or do I need to work on our latch more?

Also, the evenings are often pretty rough for us, he doesn't seem satisfied with what he gets from me. He'll latch on and suck but doesn't seem to be swallowing and sometimes it's quite uncomfortable as I can feel his gums against my breast. I'm pretty sure he's not getting any milk when this happens. Am I right to take him off when this happens?

If you are happy that your latch is ok then your nipples may just be 'toughening up' a bit. I used to have a toe tapping 10 or 15 seconds to start with. Have you checked you nipple when he comes off?? It's sucked into a centre point is it?? If he's not latched right, your nip may rub on the roof of his mouth and cause it to be moulded to a point but not an even one IYKWIM (I keep reading this and I cant think how to decribe it best :dohh:)

Evenings in the early weeks are rough. I hadnt drank enough and so on during the day, I felt like I didnt get full. That coupled with the constant cluster feeding was very wearing. If it gets uncomfy swap sides. Dont try to analyse if he's swallowing enough. If he's not comfort sucking (which is oftem described as a very gentle, quivery almost tickly suck) then just keep swapping and putting him on. You might not think he's getting milk but he will be - even if its only small amounts. This type feeding (if it is cluster feeding) often comes before they start to sleep longer at night. I felt I needed a break when it was at it's peak for me. so I used to get up at least an hour before she did and pump both breasts when they were nice and full. This meant that I always had plenty for a top up feed just to give me a bit longer to let my boobs refill. I still pump first thing everyday for my top up feed.

:)

After what feels like a really good feed my nipple is usually moulded so that the top sort of leans out! I've seen so-called natural teats shaped like this, so figured it was a good sign!

We've been topping up most evenings as I find it utterly exhausting and frustrating. Usually we top up with formula as I haven't got into a good expressing routine, but I want to get that sorted so he is exclusively BFed. He does the quivery suck thing sometimes at the end of feeds, so I guess he's staying on for comfort after he's had enough milk.

Our pediatrician says it's never supposed to hurt...if it hurts take him off the nipple and start again, stuffing more areola into his mouth.

Of course sometimes I can't be bothered and just put up with the slight pain, because I don't want to make him angry. :laugh2:

After what feels like a really good feed my nipple is usually moulded so that the top sort of leans out! I've seen so-called natural teats shaped like this, so figured it was a good sign!

We've been topping up most evenings as I find it utterly exhausting and frustrating. Usually we top up with formula as I haven't got into a good expressing routine, but I want to get that sorted so he is exclusively BFed. He does the quivery suck thing sometimes at the end of feeds, so I guess he's staying on for comfort after he's had enough milk.

The way you are describing the nipple (better than I did) is not a good latch but I can see why you might think it is from the so-called natural teats.

That ridge you get can turn to blister and then you're in trouble. Basically he needs a bigger mouth full. so when you take your breast away, there is no ridge - it may be stretched longer but only slightly flattened and that ridge shouldnt be a strong one like its been stuck to the roof of his mouth. It should be a gentle line across the middle of the end of the nip at the most IYKWIM??

Our pediatrician says it's never supposed to hurt...

I think your doctor is right 9 times out of ten but a breastfeeding advisor will tell you you even with a perfect latch you may have some discomfort to begin. I had a week or so of pain even once I'd nailed my latch. If it's only for the first 10 seconds after starting, it's not necessarily totally wrong - your nipples need to get used to it as well. :)

Try not to top up hun, it's a downward spiral.
I know with Savannah, she was constantly on the breast of a night time. Thea reason being is that that is when your supply is at it's lowest and they are also preparing themselves for a longer time between feeds. It could also be a comfort for Jack, maybe thats his 'whingy' period and suckling is his way of coping.
You are doing a great job, feel proud!

Thanks Sarah, I would prefer not to top up, but the nights we don't are pure hell. I get very sore if I let him feed as much as he wants to and it still doesn't satisfy him. He screams and I get stressed, which dries up my supply completely for several hours, leading to an even more distressed Jack. Ultimately a less stressed, less exhausted me is better for all of us.

Understandable. Work on getting your latch right and take it from there I guess. Be prepared for a few hard nights when you do change over as your supply needs to build up.

Everything you describe is how it feels for me too. It isn't every time but if Hannah hasn't fed for a couple of hours then it hurts for the first 20 secs of the feed. So much so it takes my breath away but it is ok after that. I have had my latch checked and everything and there doesn't appear to be a prob with it. So you are not alone hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->