Please help, been scammed out of £500 3 weeks before my baby due

lylasmummy

Reaction score
OH won a car on eBay last Monday, £1,400. The seller stated in the listing that he would put 6 months tax on it the following day.

The seller said if we could put £500 cash into his bank account he would deliver the car to us on the Wednesday, I said no, PayPal only so we are covered.... Seller asked for bank cos needed it quick to buy a van allegedly, Anyway, my stupid OH sent him £500 into his bank on the Tuesday, car supposedly coming Wednesday.

Wednesday came, the seller said oh, it will be tomorrow now and gave an excuse :dohh: ok, so my OH agreed to this, Thursday we sold our car so we would have the cash to pay the remainder off when he delivers it, he wouldn't answer his phone all day, eventually after I'd txt him a snotty text he rang, some rubbish about not driving it without being insured on it, fair enough so I said we will collect it, he then tells me he hasn't taxed it and won't be doing but would knock it off the price we owed him, I wasn't happy driving it the 100 miles back home without tax, I couldn't tax it without insurance docs and if I did it over the phone the disc would have gone to a previous owner (not the seller)

Thursday my OH asked him to return the £500 he stupidly paid him, he agreed but said he would do it Friday, Friday came and no money, said he would do it sat, sat came no money, said he would do it today, and we'll you can guess what's happened today, he originally said Monday morning 9.30am, he txt my OH this morning and said early afternoon.

We need this money, we used our last savings to buy a replacement car on Friday as I am having a few problems with pregnancy and live in a small village miles from anywhere...

I'm so stressed, I'm in hospital tomorrow for a scan to see if they gonna turn my breech baby and might be taken in for an emergency c-section and I haven't got everything yet, waiting on this £500.

Can we call the police? Or is it my stupid OH's fault for not using PayPal?? :cry:

I'm soooo stressed, OH and I argue about it and all I do is cry....

He keeps saying "he will pay us it back" and I know he won't. :cry:

Sorry to hear this Hun can you get his address from eBay and call the police they might call him and that will make him pay you your money back hope you manage to get it sorted

He gave my OH an address when we was supposed to be collecting it, would the police do anything??

first thing to do is stay calm, then phone the police non emergency number and get a crime reference number, then phone your bank stating you had been scammed with the crime reference number and then do the same with ebay, the bank will almost def refund you but you need a crime number xx

first thing to do is stay calm, then phone the police non emergency number and get a crime reference number, then phone your bank stating you had been scammed with the crime reference number and then do the same with ebay, the bank will almost def refund you but you need a crime number xx

Really????

I think you will find that unfortunately as you gave the money to him there is nothing the police will be able to do. People have been scammed left right and centre, it was on tv the other day and because they had made a bank payment willingly, and it wasn't taken fraudulently there wasn't anything the police could do. May be different because it's gone through ebay, but i wouldn't count on it. Sorry it's not what you want to hear.

I would never of gave any amount of money unless the car was inf ront of me. Ur going to have to contact ebay

I would never of gave any amount of money unless the car was inf ront of me. Ur going to have to contact ebay

That's not really very helpful is it? I think they realise that now.

Well yes I know that. I did put in my op that I asked my OH not to do it :(

I think you will find that unfortunately as you gave the money to him there is nothing the police will be able to do. People have been scammed left right and centre, it was on tv the other day and because they had made a bank payment willingly, and it wasn't taken fraudulently there wasn't anything the police could do. May be different because it's gone through ebay, but i wouldn't count on it. Sorry it's not what you want to hear.

Oh no! Your joking :( I can't deal with this, getting myself so worked up I'm getting some cramps in my bump, this is no good for my baby girl :(

Legally i doubt you will have any way to get your money back.

I would be sending my OH (not alone) to the address

I would go down the route of crime number, if they've never done anything like this before they might get scared and give the money back!

Your bank i think can request they pay the money back but dont have to make them and they wont retrieve it automatically for you im afraid.

I know 5oo is alot of money but its not worth your blood pressure going through the roof and making yourself sick esp with the baby.

If the money doesnt come back just take it as a lesson learned and try and move on from it. xx

Maybe not be helpful but its a lesson learnt.

If u go on ur paypal u might be able to get his address on the details. U could actually ring the police

ide call him & say you have 3 options..

bring me the cash now.
put the money in my paypal now.
or i call the police.

they police msy not be able to do anything as OH willingly put the money in has bank but it may scare him enough to pay it back!!

let your OH deal with it hun, you dont need the stress! xxx

Really hope u sort it out hun cus its a horrible feeling when something like this happens. Ive had it done to me in the pass and i learnt from it

I went through something similar. If you have an address i would write a letter, short and sweet, stating that if you dont receive the £500 by a certain date (give him around 1 week) then you will be taking legal action which will result in a court case. Put in the letter you have consulted your lawyer and have notified police.

I went through something similar. If you have an address i would write a letter, short and sweet, stating that if you dont receive the £500 by a certain date (give him around 1 week) then you will be taking legal action which will result in a court case. Put in the letter you have consulted your lawyer and have notified police.

This ^^

If you have messages to state he will send the car etc, then he has breached the Sales of Goods Act. You are covered by this. This is what you would take him to court for.

I would phone/text him and say if the money isn't in your account by close of business tomorrow then you will call the Police and report it as fraud.

If he has done this before (fair chance I would say) then he'll probably just ignore you, but I would still report it to the Police. I don't know if they would get involved or not, they may regard it as a civil matter, but technically he has stolen the money so they may help.

Good luck x

I text him earlier.

"Jeremy it's lees partner, I just wanted to inform you that I will be contacting the police as I believe you have no intention of returning our money to us. Lee might be a push over but I AM NOT!!" This was at 4.30pm, I didn't get a reply.

He just rang OH and said "oh I've had a busy day just got in, will be in your bank early morning without fail"

So we will see.

I've got appointment at the hospital in the morning, hope I can keep calm enough to get through this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->