Please Read - Obstetric Cholestasis

I just wanted to add my support for this sticky. Amy and I almost lost our little one due to this even though she was under close observation. Happy ending though as LO was delivered by emergency C-section at 37 weeks.

Ive suspected I may have this condition for a couple of weeks now. My arms and legs have been itching like mad! The doctor said it was normal & gave me some piriton, even though it hadnt been proven safe for pregnancy. Took it for a week with no improvement so i stopped taking it, and I also noticed a change in movement in my LO. This started to make me worry, so i went back to the docs & was seen by a different doctor, I demanded a blood test to rule out Obstetric Cholestasis. So I have had that today & get the results Thursday. I think you have to be really demanding with doctors etc as I feel that I was easily fobbed off, which could have fatal consequences if it was left unchecked! x

oh sweetie, that is shocking that you got fobbed off like that the first time around
Good luck for your results on Thursday x

oh sweetie, that is shocking that you got fobbed off like that the first time around
Good luck for your results on Thursday x

Thank you Jo. Its been driving me mad! I didnt really have much faith in the first doctor as he always seems to look online to see if I can have certain medications! I will update everyone Thursday! :hugs:

Ive suspected I may have this condition for a couple of weeks now. My arms and legs have been itching like mad! The doctor said it was normal & gave me some piriton, even though it hadnt been proven safe for pregnancy. Took it for a week with no improvement so i stopped taking it, and I also noticed a change in movement in my LO. This started to make me worry, so i went back to the docs & was seen by a different doctor, I demanded a blood test to rule out Obstetric Cholestasis. So I have had that today & get the results Thursday. I think you have to be really demanding with doctors etc as I feel that I was easily fobbed off, which could have fatal consequences if it was left unchecked! x

Called the doctor for my blood test results today & they said that my HB was borderline, and recommended an iron rich diet & to retest in 1months time, and the other test recommended a protein rich diet. The doctor will call me monday morning to discuss it further. But I do feel I havent been given a proper answer. Why would just my arms & legs be itching if I was lacking in iron & protein? Guess I'll just see what the doctor says.:shrug:

arrgghhh help, I don't kno if I should be worried after reading this? I had my gallbladder removed when I was 13, this obviously produces bile, the midwife and docs kno about it but have not mentioned about it being a problem, I was really iching the other night but haven't since and I always seem to be warmer than my oh! I'm only just over 13 week tho, can it effect at any point in pregnancy?? thanks!x

I am 31 weeks and this week was diagnosed with OC. My dr warned me that they may have to deliver early if my liver enzymes get too high? Does anyone else know any other things to look for that would cause them to deliver early??

I have to say it's a great idea you have put information on this site about Cholostasis. In my first pregnancy I was itching so badly I had to scratch my feet with a knife til they were red raw. I cried with the itchiness. It was horrible. I think I had it long before I was actually dignosed with Cholostasis at about 34 weeks but because It was so progressed at that stage I had to stay in hospital as I got so ill. I then delivered my baby at 36 weeks and 5 days.

Then my second pregnancy I knew all about it so I knew the signs. I was diagnosed cholostasis at approximately 25 weeks.

My third pregnancy I was diagnosed it at 19-20 weeks. The midwives at the antenatal clinic were so shocked I'd got it so early, as it does tend to be the 3rd trimester.

I am now 14 weeks pregnant with baby # 4 and I can see the signs already. this week I have been itching like crazy on my feet, hands and back. I will explain to my midwife on thursday about this but it sounds crazy to have developed it at only 14 weeks doesn't it?? Maybe I'm mistaken but I know the signs.

I am 31 weeks and this week was diagnosed with OC. My dr warned me that they may have to deliver early if my liver enzymes get too high? Does anyone else know any other things to look for that would cause them to deliver early??

In Leeds, it is routine for them to deliver at 37 weeks no matter if the level gets too high. If you are diagnosed with OC then you always get delivered early. :)

arrgghhh help, I don't kno if I should be worried after reading this? I had my gallbladder removed when I was 13, this obviously produces bile, the midwife and docs kno about it but have not mentioned about it being a problem, I was really iching the other night but haven't since and I always seem to be warmer than my oh! I'm only just over 13 week tho, can it effect at any point in pregnancy?? thanks!x

I would still get it checked out. Its only a simple blood test though if you dont have gallbladder then maybe this isnt the cause. you can get very bad itching due to the change in hormones and your skin too as it's stretched during pregnancy. hope all goes well for you. I see you're in Leeds too :)

thankyou for posting this hun. My best friend got pre-eclampsia in her pregnancy and swelled up like a balloon - it was awful to see her in such distress as she was in/out of hospital for monitoring all the time. So i will definitely be looking out for these signs. x

In Leeds, it is routine for them to deliver at 37 weeks no matter if the level gets too high. If you are diagnosed with OC then you always get delivered early. :)

its the same here i got induced at 3 weeks but my induction took a week for her to be born and my level only reached a max of 28, then by the time i was induced it was at 15.

Hi thanks for this info, I was just looking into this because recently the sole of one foot was itching so bad for hours and hours I couldn't sleep. In the day time it's one palm or the other. It's not constant but goes for hours when it starts. There is no rash or redness and I've been bewildered what it is. Do you think it's worth a trip to doctors or would it be more constant? X

Hi - if I were you get the midwife to do blood checks. itching on soles of feet and palms of hands is classic sign of Ob cholestasis. Doesnt mean it definately is but you should get it checked so they can rule it out or keep an eye on you.

I had this in my last pregnancy and am now 14+4 and hopig I wont get it again though I know I likely will unfortuanetly.

O.C. normally starts with itching on your hands and feet, if you get this DEMAND a blood test from your midwife, if it is normal....watch the itching, if it carries on then get another blood test 1 week later as the itching can start 7 days before the liver function changes get picked up in the blood. Dont take no for an answer xxx

My DF mentioned this to my Midwife yesterday as he was concerned with me having been itchy for a couple of days. She didnt seem too concerned as i told her i had put my xmas tree up the night before and this is when it started. Its all over tho - palms, feet, legs, head, face, neck, belly. I'll keep an eye on it - if it gets worse i'll go for bloods

thanks for this xx

Thank you for posting this. It makes me want to ask my Dr more questions about my elevated liver enzymes and extreme itching. Even if it isn't OC (since I am in 2nd tri and have had the itching since 1st), I feel more comfortable pushing her to look into the cause as I now know it can definitely be something dangerous.

i had never ever heard of OC before i got it when i was pregnant with dolly x it started with itching hands and feet at 30 wks x i mentioned it to the midwife on a routine check up and she said not to worry it was probably sunburn as we'd had hot weather x i couldnt sleep that night, i was in tears and nearly bleeding through scratching so much so i googled it on the net and OC came up x i went straight into local hospital first thing in the morning where they did tests and sure enough it was OC. i had to go back for blood, bile and baby checks every 5 days as my levels were so high x i was induced at 37 weeks as the itching was sooooo bad and all the tablets i were taking weren't makign no drastic change in my bile acid levels x

anyone have it more than once? i know its more likely i will get it again this time round but i am keeping everythign crossed i don't, its an awful experieince x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->