*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

Has anyone had really itchy legs and it been from OC? My itching last time was on my hands and feet really badly, but just this week my legs both lower and upper have been SUPER itchy :(

My lower legs along with my feet & hands were the worst. I still have scars on my lower legs from the scratching.

Thanks girlies :hugs: I suspected as much :( I have midwife tomorrow so will definitely ask for bloods then.

Even though that means I won't get the homebirth I've been planning if it *is* OC, I know it will be the safest thing for baby (and bonus, will get to meet them really soon! Haha)

I am in my 2nd tri, but started having intense itching on the palms of my feet and hands about two weeks ago. It seems to have gotten worse this week with three incidents of me crying and screaming while I claw at my feet with cuticle scissors. keys, or anything sharp enough to give me momentary relief. Then the itching starts right back up. I went for a blood test yesterday and am waiting for the results. Until them my doctor put me on this yellow powdered medication two times a day, Cholestyramine. It tastes horrible but I will do anything to try to control the itching. hopefully I will have results in two days.

I am in my 2nd tri, but started having intense itching on the palms of my feet and hands about two weeks ago. It seems to have gotten worse this week with three incidents of me crying and screaming while I claw at my feet with cuticle scissors. keys, or anything sharp enough to give me momentary relief. Then the itching starts right back up. I went for a blood test yesterday and am waiting for the results. Until them my doctor put me on this yellow powdered medication two times a day, Cholestyramine. It tastes horrible but I will do anything to try to control the itching. hopefully I will have results in two days.

How are you feeling now? Did you get the results from your blood test?

Has anyone had OC twice? This is my 2nd pregnancy and I'm 29 weeks and the itching has started again, especially on the lower and middle part of legs and tummy where it was mainly last time, what are the chances of having it again? Should I mention this at my next appt which is 4 weeks away or should I ring my midwife? Thanks ladies xx

I'm being tested for OC. Just got my bloods done, bile acid, lft, plus another one.

I have very itchy arms, thighs, legs and ears. Gets worse at night. But controllable with anti-histamine and cold body butter. But I have none on the soles of my feet and palms.. The thing that is worrying the docs is the lack of rashes, stretch marks, or any discolouration. Just lesions because of my scratching. So, it's really hard to say now, it could go either way. Just preparing myself for the worse.

What's the earliest you can get OC?

I was induced early with my dd because of it. I'm only 5 weeks now but I'm already starting to feel itchy again which is worrying me...

I was induced early with my dd because of it. I'm only 5 weeks now but I'm already starting to feel itchy again which is worrying me...

It is most common to start in the 3rd tri. But it can and DOES occur earlier. My itching started around 17 weeks.

Also, if you had it once chances are good that you will have it in any subsequent pregnancies.

I'm really hoping mine isn't starting again. 22 weeks now and I've been itching for the past week or so. Gradually getting worse and seems to be worse in the evening. Im thinking of emailing my doc just to be on the safe side, but at the same time I hate feeling paranoid :-/ I just really don't want it getting as bad as last time. That was a nightmare :nope:

It is most common to start in the 3rd tri. But it can and DOES occur earlier. My itching started around 17 weeks.

Also, if you had it once chances are good that you will have it in any subsequent pregnancies.

I went to my doctor about it yesterday and she practically laughed me out of the office when I asked for bloods and said there's way I'd get it before the third trimester...grrrr

I posted a few weeks ago. That itching stopped soon after I posted, but over the past few days I've been having trouble sleeping due to itchy feet, hands, and belly. Im still hoping it's just due to hormones, but today it's gotten worse and is pretty much all over. I have an appointment Tuesday and they're getting a full set of labs including liver panel and bile acids. Last time I felt like I was fine one day and going crazy itching the next. I guess I'll know a little more next week!

Still itching like crazy :( I've had minimal sleep for the past week, and not much more than that for about a month and a half. Labs have come back fine so far. It feels exactly the same as the ICP did last time. I'm so frustrated and feeling crazy! I understand the bile acids can take awhile to rise, but this is ridiculous! Last time my LFTS were fairly normal, so I wonder if I'm just one of the women who have normal ones with this. Just finished a course of prednisone just in case.. of course no improvement. So tired of this :cry:

Sorry you are going through this, sm. Just keep asking for lab tests- stay vigilant and remember that the horrible sensation will pass. It sounds like you have great care, which is the most important thing. Look after yourself and your bub! :flower:

Ugh. I got my partial blood tests results back today and they said one number was 18 and the top of the normal range is 21 so I am being treated as high risk. My other results will be in tomorrow. Would this be the number that is considered by some to be cholestasis at 10? I can't figure out what letters it would be.

That could be the bile acids, but I'm not sure. Typically the high is 10, with over 20 being moderate OC and over 40 severe. I've also heard some hospitals use 14 as their high for diagnosis, but for pregnancy 10 should be the high number.

Ugh. I got my partial blood tests results back today and they said one number was 18 and the top of the normal range is 21 so I am being treated as high risk. My other results will be in tomorrow. Would this be the number that is considered by some to be cholestasis at 10? I can't figure out what letters it would be.

If it is bile acids, then that does look like oc for sure. :hugs: i had what my dr termed a "mild" case... she handled it very well, although she thought it was less of a risk than I felt it was. By the looks of your signature, you are pretty far along, which is great. Is your doctor experienced with it? My advice is to research what you want and push for it. I was induced at 38 weeks- everything was fine. I still wish I had pushed for 37. :flower:

Edit: pp said exactly what I knew about numbers.

I think it depends on how he's doing how far they let me go. I am waiting to be called back for my sonogram now and see the on call doctor after. My doctor is on vacation all week so I'm talking to different doctors every day.

Hopefully you'll find something out today even though it's not your normal doc. Fx'd for you!

I'm feeling thankful bc my doc is starting me on Urso today just based on symptoms. We're going to get labs again next week, but basically he's treating me as an ICP pt and we'll hope this gives me some relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->