*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

I'm going to add that link to the first post.

Thank you x

Thanks Jo :D

They replied to my questions so quickly, and were so helpful :) This is the address for the forum:

https://groups.google.com/group/ocsupportuk

You can read the threads on the forum without having to join, but you need to join to post a question.

Id be interested to know what was the normal range for bile acids in pregnancy..Ive had 2 lots of blood tests as Im suffering horrifuc itching..Ive never had anything like this in pregnancy before..my feet hands, arms and legs itch so badly..Ive drawn blood and im covered in scabs..I cant think straight and my skin feels like its on fire..first lot of bile acids were done last tuesday and were 3...second lot done today show bile acids have jumped to 8..theyve asked me to come back on thursday for further blood tests but said at the moment all the tests are normal....

Hiya Hun the normal I think is between 1-15 as it has raised in such a short time it is
obv something the docs are concerned about. Did they do your ALT levels aswell?

Hiya Hun the normal I think is between 1-15 as it has raised in such a short time it is

I had LFT'S done too..but when I phoned for the results the MW said my LFT'S were normal..whats the normal range in pregnancy/ Im tempted to ring back and ask

The Bile Acid levels seem to depend on the lab doing the testing, in some 9 in the upper end of normal, in others 14 is the upper end of normal...

I'm still waiting on my bile acid levels from bloods taken a week ago on Monday :hissy: Still waking up clawing myself to bits :(

I would say it is really good that they're paying attention and you're gettiong repeated bile acid tests, I had to stamp my feet a bit before they'd do the bile acid test!

thanks..I checked with the hospital and their cut off point is 10.

I sympathise with the itching..I drew blood last night from scratching

They told me 14 was normal for bile acid results. Mine were 80 the first time I was tested at 36 weeks, then 138 at the worst point and the hospital said they hadn't seen anything like it. I'm WTT in a year's time and already so, so worried I will get oc again.

They told me 14 was normal for bile acid results. Mine were 80 the first time I was tested at 36 weeks, then 138 at the worst point and the hospital said they hadn't seen anything like it. I'm WTT in a year's time and already so, so worried I will get oc again.
blimey thats high..I think you do stand a chance of getting it again..but I guess you will be monitored very closely

Mine were 128 when I was tested at 30 weeks. I am dreading it I am just sitting waiting for it to come back now and will be so devastated if it does as I am wanting a home birth this time around. I have just started itching but not sure if it's just a change in weather but it's not THAT bad that I am bleeding yet.

I had LFT'S done too..but when I phoned for the results the MW said my LFT'S were normal..whats the normal range in pregnancy/ Im tempted to ring back and ask

ALT levels should be between 5-35 and these will more than likley be raised if you have OC my levels last time were 400.

I wish I'd photocopied my notes now as I can't remember what my ALT levels were, although I know they were very elevated. I am desperate not to have oc next time and be able to have a normal labour not an induction.

ALT levels should be between 5-35 and these will more than likley be raised if you have OC my levels last time were 400.

Thanks:thumbup:..I will ask what they were when Im back on thursday

hey laides :)

at around 30 weeks i was really itchy on my hands and feet, so i went to my antinatal day unit and they monitered baby and took blood test to rull out my cause for the itching, my bloods come back and they told me i had oc, i am now 33 weeks on saturday and i have to have baby monitered very closely 2 times a week and have my blood tacken 1 week, some days my itching can be ok but other days its bad, its more on my legs and arms also on top of my hands,
but my consultant told me they like not to induce now at 37 weeks due to a new rule that come out, they like you to go ful term,

this site is soo good if youve got ant questions :)

xx

They can't just bring out a new rule there is not enough research into OC and the research there Is suggests that if you are left to go to full term there is a chance of stillbirth. I would get a second opinion if they were telling me that they won't induce.

Not to scare you but my mum had a stillbirth at 38 weeks and when I was diognosed with OC they got her notes out and confirmed that is what the cause was as she was tested during her pregnancy with me.

I went to my appt today, had my bile acids done again..they came back at 6..so theyve told me just keep an eye on the itching and they may re test again in 2 weeks

Hi guys

This appears to be an old thread but not at all an old issue. I was quite relieved to see OC mentioned.

I am 35wks pregnant and was diagnosed with OC last week and promptly given some medication. Since then i can say that the itching has gone during the day and at night has diminished considerably. Although my reading werent that high i was horrified and very anxious to hear the results. Particularly when the 'receptionist'- who called me on the eening i had my blood test- put it so sensitively: " Your results have come back abnormal". When i said 'SHIT' i was then told there was no need to swear! Anyway.. thats all besides the point.

Its worrying indeed but my anxieties about it have calmed for now. I have a liver scan booked for this Thursday just to make sure there are no other complications so at least they are taking precautions.

From my knowledge up to now, i am aware that they have little research to go by on OC and only arouund 20yrs of clinical experience with it. Apparently, for the Derbyshire area anyway, there has been an increase this year.

I must say that the midwives - i am being seen at Royal Derby Hospital - have been great so far and seemed calm enough about it and confident that all will be well as long as treatment and regular observations are taking place.

If the condition persists then they will most likely advise me to be induced at 37 weeks -just 2 weeks now then!

I know its reasurring when we feel our litte ones move around.. and now its even more reassuring when i feel her move as i am aware of the potential implications of OC.

If anyone else has been diagnosed with this, please share your thoughts and experiences. Its always beneficial to know that your're not on your own!

Thanks Granny Jo, for starting this thread! X X X X

Hi guys

This appears to be an old thread but not at all an old issue. I was quite relieved to see OC mentioned.

I am 35wks pregnant and was diagnosed with OC last week and promptly given some medication. Since then i can say that the itching has gone during the day and at night has diminished considerably. Although my reading werent that high i was horrified and very anxious to hear the results. Particularly when the 'receptionist'- who called me on the eening i had my blood test- put it so sensitively: " Your results have come back abnormal". When i said 'SHIT' i was then told there was no need to swear! Anyway.. thats all besides the point.

Its worrying indeed but my anxieties about it have calmed for now. I have a liver scan booked for this Thursday just to make sure there are no other complications so at least they are taking precautions.

From my knowledge up to now, i am aware that they have little research to go by on OC and only arouund 20yrs of clinical experience with it. Apparently, for the Derbyshire area anyway, there has been an increase this year.

I must say that the midwives - i am being seen at Royal Derby Hospital - have been great so far and seemed calm enough about it and confident that all will be well as long as treatment and regular observations are taking place.

If the condition persists then they will most likely advise me to be induced at 37 weeks -just 2 weeks now then!

I know its reasurring when we feel our litte ones move around.. and now its even more reassuring when i feel her move as i am aware of the potential implications of OC.

If anyone else has been diagnosed with this, please share your thoughts and experiences. Its always beneficial to know that your're not on your own!

Thanks Granny Jo, for starting this thread! X X X X

Hope all goes well hun :hugs:. You're not on your own. My story will be a few pages back in the thread but I too was called back quickly about my results and told to go to the hospital NOW, was monitored every two days, bloods redone frequently, normal scans, liver scan, then induction. I only knew about oc from this thread. I think I'd have ignored my itching if I hadn't read this.

Hope all goes well hun :hugs:. You're not on your own. My story will be a few pages back in the thread but I too was called back quickly about my results and told to go to the hospital NOW, was monitored every two days, bloods redone frequently, normal scans, liver scan, then induction. I only knew about oc from this thread. I think I'd have ignored my itching if I hadn't read this.

Thanks for that.

Yes, i remember reading your story and its so good to see your little one smiling out from that gorgeous picture. Brought some wetness to the eyes!

Well i was in hospital again yesterday and things seem to have calmed down. Daddy is out of the country and arrives on 28th March, which is week 37!... and i have been booked in for an induction on 3rd April! He was a bit worried that he might miss her arrival.

There's so much to consider during pregnancy and thats without any complications!! We all hope that things will go smoothly and then to find out that you have to be induced... its something i am ok with as i have absolutely no intention of taking any risks. However, i am really hoping that that both baby and i respond well to the induction.

As for OC. As soon as my itchin had worsened i started to look on the internet so i was aware that there existed a condition with the liver. It wasnt until i was diagnosed though, that i was given more information. It seems to be something which is overlooked quite easily and i feel that thats not the best policy!

When i had mentioned the itching to my midwife, she dismissed it as something quite normal to pregnancy. Needless to say, i recently had some words with her and told her that i feel it is in our (mother-to-be's) best interest if they did not dismiss this. I know that itching can be a normal symptom BUT i feel that the risks far outweigh the chances that its simnply just an itch! I was very sad to read about one of the B n B member's story of losing their baby because this was overlooked.

I sincerely hope that mothers and midwives will pay more attention and that information on this condition is made more easly accessible.

Miss Preggie

All the best to everyone! XXXXXXX

Just to let all you OC suffers know I had my wee baby boy by section on 4th March. He was 37+3, was in hospital for 3 days before his birth so I could have steriods to boost his lungs. When delivered he was totally fine...slightly jaundice but fine. So glad I kept pushing the fact I was itchy as the midwife thought it was a skin condition!!!

Thanks for all your advice and support!

That is lovely to hear, well you know what I mean :)
Congratulations on your safe arrival xx

Just goes to show mums instincts are usually right, but is so wrong we have to push and push

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->