*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

Thanks Jo :) I went to see my GP earlier as I was also worried about my bump being painful (I've pulled all my stomach muscles from being sick on Sat!) I mentioned the itching to her, and asked if I could be OC.

She's sent me for bloods to get my liver function tested (no mention of the bile test) but I guess she knows what she's doing!

I've got a consultant app tomorrow so I'm going to tell them too in case they want to see the results. My GP has a habit of taking days to respond to results!!

Oh good I am glad she listened to you, your LFT will also show bile levels if i remeber rightly.
good luck and I hope it is nothing :hugs:

Hiyaa :)
just a bit concerend so thought id comment on here for advice!
i read this post a few days ago and i had been having a lot of itching! so i raung up my doctor and they sent me to the maternity ward for some blood tests and the bile acid test. they raung me the next day and asked me to come in as it was slighty raised, been on the monitor 3 times this week. On the phone they sounded really concernd said i had to come in as soon as possible to get tablets and to be seen to. then when i got there hardly any one botherd with me and doctor sent me home saying come back for blood tests next week but nothing else they can do because there only slighty raised. but in the last 24 hours the itching has defintly increased a hell of a lot. but midwives dont seem botherd. any advice? xx im 32 weeks gone x

If it has got worse you will have to just keep pushing and pushing them, if the were raised even slightly, they are probably going to raise some more.

Good luck xx

I got my bloods all re-tested again today to see if the levels have gone up. Also got tested for other tihngs too, they said they would call when they get results but she put it thru as urgent!

i got my results back as slightly raised but to be expected!! so whats the point?!!

After reporting insatiable itching last week, my results came back today and they've diagnosed OC. I'm 40+4 and they're saying come back tomorrow for induction. I'm so worried now that something will happen to the baby between now and tomorrow :( apparently usual management in UK is delivery at 37wks, so seeing as I'm well over that, I would have thought they'd take no chances and do something today.

Everyone says relax and get lots of sleep tonight in preparation - can't see that happening! :cry:

I'm worried about this too. I've been so itchy, especially at night, for 5 days. I have had to get up and shower my feet and legs with cold water the last 3 nights but even that doesn't ease it much. I feel like I've had no sleep at all and can barely get through my day at work. I hadn't realised that itching could be a sign of something serious until today. I've rang my midwife 20 times this afternoon and not got through so will try again tomorrow and will ring the maternity assesment centre at the hospital if I have no luck.

Thats what i would do if you cant get thru just ring triage they will ask you to go for bloods. Ive had mine doen every week since 36 weeks when i rang and altho they are raised theyre not raising more so its not O.C.

Elski good luck tomorrow im sure it will all be fine! x

I got through through to my midwife today who sent me straight to the hospital to have bloods done. I'll get the results by Friday at the latest.

The hospital called at lunch time and asked me to go straight in. My blood results were seriously abnormal. The bile acid result should have been about 14 and mine was 80!!They put a trace on baby and monitored her for an hour (she was fine) , took about 8 little containers of blood to test whther I have something wrong with my liver or whether it is just caused by pregnancy, booked me in for a liver scan and booked me in for a scan first thing Monday morning to make sure baby isn't distressed. They sent me home with a bag full of different tablets to take and strict instructions to go in over the weekend if I'm worried or don't feel regular movements. They'll monitor her every 2 days and induce me probably a week today at 38 weeks.

I never would have thought being itchy could be so serious and if I hadn't read this thread I woukld most probably have ignored my symptoms so a big thanks to B & B for alerting me to this condition which I'd previously heard nothing about.

I had a scan today to make sure baby is still okay and not distressed and thankfully she is doing great. I then went to the ante natal day unit who told me to come back on Weds for more monitoring and more blood tests and will possibly be induced on Friday.

Then later today I had a phone call from another hospital department telling me I had to go for an urgent liver scan. The woman on the phone didn't even seem to realise I was pregnant so I'm concerned about this. I have to have the liver scan on Thursday morning which I am concerned about as I believe it involves exposure to radiation. Has anyone else with OC had this and was it okay? I don't know what to expect and I'm worried it is risky for my baby. Also does anyone know if I would still be induced the next day and if I can even breastfeed after exposure to radiation? I phoned the antenatal unit again and they just said try not to worry and they'll speak to me about everything on Wednesday but not worrying is easier said than done :(.

Im sure bf is fine, But they might not do the scan anyways.. they will do the best thing so dont worry, (or try not too too much) sounds like they caught it and you will have LO very soon!

Hi ladies I had a strange experience a couple of night ago, its only happened the once and all in all prob only lasted about 20-30 mins - could this be OC or would it be a bit more frequent if it was? Was just soooooo bizzare !

I woke early hours this morning feeling boiling hot and sick. My skin felt burning all over and I began itching, arms legs face etc.

I went to bathroom and noticed my face arms and legs were bright red and where I had scratched there was like a heat rash, I tried to cool down with cold water but it didnt help.

I got back into bed and couldnt have covers on me, fortunately i dropped off back to sleep and was completely normal when i woke today, I havent eaten, drunk or used anything out of the ordinary so found it all very odd?

Anyone experienced anything similar?? x

Im glad I found this thread. I'm not in 3rd tri yet but have been having lots of itching myself. I told my doc yesterday how bad the itching gets and he ordered blood work yesterday so will see if I have Cholestasis. I would think it's too soon for me to be having this if I did wouldn't it?

Ive just been to hospital for the tests for this and get my results tomorrow. Dont think they think ive got it as no rashes and when I said that sister had it they said doesnt run in familys even though when googled it said it does????? Will see what tomorrow brngs.

I had the most serious case the hospital had seen in years and I had no rash.

Seems anything ive seen on here or googled docs went against today so just see what tomorrow brings. This forum really is a god send though xx,

Seems anything ive seen on here or googled docs went against today so just see what tomorrow brings. This forum really is a god send though xx,

It really really is. Without this I never would have suspected I had OC and would have assumed the itching was hormonal or because I was big and goodness knows what could have happened. My bile acid levels went up to over 10 times what they should have been which could have been poisoning Daisy. The hospital were great as well though. They took it so seriously, called me in the minute they had my blood results back, monitored us constantly then induced as soon as I got to 38 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->