*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

I remembered there being this thread about a condition involving itchyness, just had a proper read through as ive bbeen driven mad every night with getting warm and then too hot, itching everywhere, not being able to sleep, swollen and painful finger joints and its getting worse and worse.

Last night, despite the freezing temperatures and having 5 inches of snow fall, I choose to sleep on the sofa as our living room felt lovely and cool for my skin but I still only got a little bit of sleep.

Now ive read all this, I think I need to see someone, but not sure who?

Ive only seen my community midwife 3 times at 11weeks, 16 weeks and 28 weeks - I dont see her now until 20th Jan and shes usually keen to get you in and out as quick as possible.

Do I wait til I see her or contact someone else? If so, who??

I rang my midwife thinking she would just say that we'd discuss at at my next appointment with her which was going to be a couple of days later but she told me to ring the ante natal day unit at the hospital straight away. I did that and they asked me to come in immediately to have blood tests done. The results were back 2 days later and they rang me at work and told me to go straight in. They took it very seriously and as I said in my previous posts I had loads of tests and scans and baby monitored at the hospital every 2 dayas before being induced the day I got to 38 weeks.

Thanks for replying.

I spoke to one of the midwives at the community team and she advised me to have bloods taken today. I managed to get them done with the nurse at our medical centre as would be a struggle to get to the community midwives clinic with the snow etc and our hospital is 20 miles away.

The nurse said the results should be back early next week.

The midwife also advised me to get some piriton.

Im really hoping that its not OC as we were set on having a home birth :nope:

New on here..... just wondered how long the bloodtest takes to come back i got tested on friday an not heard anything does this mean im ok itching is driving me mad lotions i have dnt work grrrrrr

Depending on your hospital/GP it could yake up to a week to get the results
Good luck x

thanks ladies just wish i knew but mw said she would ring if something was wrong. thanks again xx

I'm worried sick and waiting on my test results, though my MW only took bloods for LFT not the bile acid test, so even after waiting out the weekend for my results they might not actually be conclusive!

I wish I had read your post earlier, I'm 30+2 and have been waking up at night clawing at my skin, but I didn't say anything about it to my MW until 30 weeks when I had developed a rash on both breasts. Her face just dropped when she asked if I had itching on my hands or feet and I had to explain that I'd had that for weeks now! :dohh:

im getting concernd about this, ive always had bad circulation in my legs since i was a kid causing itching when i stand too long, but my arms are routinely getting itchy now and often im tired and dizzy and feeling abnormally warm in the afternoons even when the heating is off and im only wearing a tshirt and trousers,
i might just call my MW on monday the antenatal clinic at the hospital, caus im also getting jaundice and that can be related to liver function as far as i know

Hiya girls/ladies,

I thought it important that i start this thread as I had this condition when i was PG with Jack and there was very little information about it.

We all know the signs to look for with Pre Eclampsia but non of the baby books i was given explained about this.

This condition can be a threatening one to both mum and baby if not treated correctly (please don't be scared).

I started with mild itching on my arms at about 30 weeks, my MW sent me for blood tests and it was OC.

Basically it is a blood/ liver disorder flow of bile is restricted as the liver is not fuctioning properly which leads to a build up of bile acids in the blood which is what causes the itching.
I was given steroids and various other pill and potions (15 a day in all!!) and monitered very closly and the delivered Jack at 37 weeks

The main signs to look for are ITCHINESS, TIREDNESS(i know we are more tired anyway!) and FEELING INCREASINGLY HOT

I thought it important to post this now as it could be confused with the warm weather and it would be better to be safe than sorry.

I am going to put some links up for you if you have any questions please feel free to ask either on here or PM me

https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/content/diseases/obstetic_cholestasis.asp
https://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068933/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/obstetriccholestasis1.shtml

www.itchymoms.com

Hiya, just to let you know the link to the British Liver Trust info on OC has moved to:
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.u...eases/obstetric-cholestasis.aspx?searchId=529

Off to have bloods done for this tomorrow! Started itching randomly all over yesterday, even my head, mentioned it to midwife today, as I also had what I think was gallstone pain 2 weeks ago. So it all adds up now!

Also, I know I am thinking ahead of myself here, as dont know if I have it, but I understand what I means for the baby but I am also breastfeeding my 19 month old. As it makes the acid level in the blood go up, what about my breast milk?

Wonder where I can find out about that?

They have come back fine, but no bile acid result yet, that will be next week.

So if the other tests LFT have come back ok, does that mean I am in the clear, without the bile acid test result yet?

Sems I am not in the clear until bile acid results are in, as others can be normal, which wont be till next week

Sorry, just saw your post Divvy. It doesn't even necessarily mean you're in the clear even if the bile test comes back low because it can take weeks to show up in your blood work...

There is quite a lot of info at the OC support group, and there is a forum where an OC researcher will answer your questions too... www.ocsupport.org.uk

I'm going to add that link to the first post.

Thank you x

Thank you :flower: If they come back clear, I will ask for them to be redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->