Poo questions.. from breast to formula

D

DizzyMoo

Hello all ,

Can someone give me bit of info, Ive just got jax on to sma gold from breastfeeding, I introduced the ready made carton last wkend as a top up when i'd fed & he still seemed hungry he seemed to settle better, Anyway for various reasons i decided ( now regretting ) to fully ff. Well 1st 2 days jax struggled to poo which i put down to the change in milk , but since then they have been bright ish green with every poo & the poo isn't as soft as i thought it would be,
tmi i know but it seems to look like a sausage & be a little hard. I dont know if this is right having never ff or seen a ff nappy. He's been fully formula fed now since tuesday so should his poos still be green?? Should his poo not be a little sloppy? When he tries to poo he sometimes seems to be straining & gets a little upset nothing major just starts making whingy noises, Again is this all normal .. Silly questions but having only ever breastfed inc my 1st son, i just want to check . Thanks ladies xx

when i switched lilyann to formula, she got so constipated that she didn't poo for a week! i took her to the doctor and he had me mix 3 ounces water, 1 ounce prune juice and the formula. it worked! then slowly take out the prune juice till baby is just left with soft poos!

where did u buy the prune juice from ? silly as it sounds i cant find it lol

i have heard formula gives them green poo its normal i think. hun if you regret going full formula have you tried bf again? i gave up and have expressed for two weeks but lately he is still hungry so i tried him on the breast and he still latched on after two weeks of not doing it so its never too late.

Breast fed babies poos are soft runny and yellowish,and bottle fed are more like normal poos lol but I think green is a sign of a bad tummy.I was going to say as wel,if you are regretting quitting bf why not try again if its only been a week?

green poo can be normal for FF babies and is usually the excess iron in the formula. I'm not sure about formula brands there but have you tried one that is low in iron or doesn't contain iron? that might help. And from what I've been told FF babies poo isn't as soft as BF babies though Hannah's poos were never really what I'd describe as hard or firm (until she started solids).

Its been a week since i bf , my boobs are back to normal now :( Im so disappointed in myself its unreal . Hes had this green poo since being on ff but seems fine in himself so do i see how long it lasts or what? x

mentioning excess iron, he was jaundiced would this matter?

no it wouldn't matter I don't think
formulas are fortified with iron here unless you specifically buy one that is low in iron or without. And it's completely normal for the poo to be green (it's the extra iron that causes it). Hannah always had a mix of yellow and green poo--which our pediatrician assured us was normal (she never had any tummy issues)

Brill thanks hun , yep sometimes in the green poo there is bits of yellow too.

When my son was on formula we had to use cow and gate comfort due to colic, this made his poop really runny, green and stink like a drain! but he was comfortable. Although the hv said that green poop meant that he wasn't being winded properly - never heard of that one since!

I have just started my daughter on the same formula and her poops are like yellow grainy squishy but formed iykwim.....

You're not supposed to give prune juice until they're at least 4 months old I think.

I was similar hun, started bf but wasn't making enough and ended up fully ff, I felt really guilty too for a few weeks but Brady is so happy its unreal, he's now going 4 hours between feeds in the day and sleeping from 11 til 8am.

Saying that though, I put him on SMA after bf and at first his poo was yellowish but after a few weeks went very dark green. He was also constipated, really strained to go and his poo was hard/pasty. I was advised to give him cooled boiled water which worked for a few weeks, although he was still straining every time he went. After a while he was constipated again though. Also had problems with wind and sickness.

After experimenting with a few different things, I now have him on Dr Browns bottles to help with wind (Infacol doesn't work on him), unfortunatley they dont do a variflow teat so he is now on the size 2 teat which has been great for the wind and sickness. He's been on Cow and Gate for about 2 weeks now and his poo is much more like it was when I was bf and he's going at least once a day now and not struggling as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->