popular or unpopular . . . what's worse?

I prefer names that aren't common but I still manage to choose names that I don't think are popular but then they soon become it not long after :shrug: lol! Like my daughter is also called Violet but I've never met anybody but my grandmother with that name & everybody told me they hated it but now it seems so popular & I was told on the day she was born by a nurse how strange it was as she'd not seen that name chosen before until that day & there where 3 violets born that day! The same with Cameron I chose it because I thought it was different but then everybody seemed to have chose that name that year :dohh: admittedly I knew Sophia was a popular name though but we couldn't find another name we liked at all! Anyway I voted for obscure because although I don't like popular names I hate all the silly, made up & out there names that I keep seeing people call there children lately xx

I don't know! I like popular and not so popular names. Although I do seem to sway towards more traditional ones personally.
Although I wouldn't call a child of mine Dior or something really out there, I do love other peoples names that they've chosen such as Beyonce's little girl Blue Ivy :shrug:.

I'm not a fan of mega popular names. In particular the name Ava is just way over popular here.

Hard to say, I'd probably prefer a popular name over an obscure one but it depends on how popular or how obscure!

I prefer something not too common. My oldest is called Max and that seems to be quite popular these days. Parker was originally meant to be called Emelia but when I realised how popular Amelia was, it put me off. The name Parker I originally heard on TV, and it was a little boy. I fell in love with the name and wanted to use it. When it turned out I was having a girl, I still wanted to use it and I get lots of comments on what a lovely name it is and that people have never heard it before, especially for a girl. I don't think Nate is too obscure, more popular in America than over here but then I have had people tell me they've never heard that either :shrug:

I'm not big on nutty names but I wouldn't want to go with a name everyone else has too. When we were naming Lucas we spent forever trying to come up with something not obscure, but unusual enough that it'd stand out a bit. Little did we fecking know that there was a Liverpool player named Lucas, and suddenly every other bloody child his age round here has the same name:dohh:

I prefer unique names as middle names. Popular is usually because its a nice name. I think there is a reason that *some* names are unused!!

I prefer unique names as middle names. Popular is usually because its a nice name. I think there is a reason that *some* names are unused!!

Exactly! I know, that's what I'm beginning to think about Thora :wacko: I wonder if it was just too out there lol.

I love Parker!! We also really liked Harper when I was pregnant last time too but the Beckham's had not long had their Harper and it put OH off.

One of my daughters has one of the most popular girls name, but that is because she is named after my sister But I have rarely herd a child with this name, it was more popular 30 years ago and she is 10. so even though it is popular it's not for her age. and she is the only pupil out of 400 in her school that has this name. (but a few of the teachers have this name)

My 2nd daughter's name isn't overly popular but I have only herd of a few people with this name my whole life.

My sons name isn't popular at all. well not where we live and I have never met another person with this name. its is nice but different.

I like names that are not popular as long as it isn't made up or redicilous.
I also like popular names but I like to be different, and couldn't name my child that loads of other kids were called.

I like old fashioned names and unfortunately for me they've become increasingly popular in the uk.
I've yet to meet another baby /toddler Albert "Bertie" - named after dh grandad, but there are so many Freddie, archie, etc etc.
In everyone's search for an uncommon name they're all becoming less and less unusual.
Xx

I used to care that Ivy's name was becoming more and more popular but I don't really at all anymore, its not the end of the world and I love her name. However there are THREE Ivys in her preschool class and one of the other Ivy's is really mean to her, I think its because she doesn't like that they have the same name :( And she is now cursed with the burden of having 'W' added to her name for the rest of her school life! I have nooo idea how that feels I have never even met anyone with my name before :haha:

Noooo Thora is lovely and it sounds like a girl name. I mean something like cave I dont want to use the example in my head in case I offended. Not seen name on bnb but who knows xx

I used to care that Ivy's name was becoming more and more popular but I don't really at all anymore, its not the end of the world and I love her name. However there are THREE Ivys in her preschool class and one of the other Ivy's is really mean to her, I think its because she doesn't like that they have the same name :( And she is now cursed with the burden of having 'W' added to her name for the rest of her school life! I have nooo idea how that feels I have never even met anyone with my name before :haha:

Lol I hate the surname initial. Matthew has two poppys in his class. Both Poppy M so one has to be Poppy Mi and another is Poppy Mo!

I like old fashioned names and unfortunately for me they've become increasingly popular in the uk.
I've yet to meet another baby /toddler Albert "Bertie" - named after dh grandad, but there are so many Freddie, archie, etc etc.
In everyone's search for an uncommon name they're all becoming less and less unusual.
Xx

oh bless you.... I have an Albert (but he is Bertie, we barely use Albert!) he is going to be 4 in April and like you, iv never met another!

I like names that stand out but aren't too out there. I like older names than newer ones I think, but my daughters name, Brooke, I just thought was pretty.

a friend of mine recently had a baby boy and called him Wilbur and I literally ADORE that name. I wish I had thought of it!!!!

xx

Apart from the forum i have never met another Ivy but i have to admit you were half the inspiration :haha:

I didn't think Rhys was very common in essex but ever time I go to the park there seems to be another Rhys

I'd never seen another Ivy til I met you on here. I don't know any either. We've had Stanley picked for a boy since I was pregnant with Violet but I do think it's becoming more popular now. We both love it though so I'm not changing and the only other boys name I really like enough to consider using is Leonardo but hubby doesn't like at all lol. For girls I adore flower names: Daisy, Holly, Poppy, Ivy, Rose, but my surname is a fruit lol and it would look stupid :(

Xx

oh bless you.... I have an Albert (but he is Bertie, we barely use Albert!) he is going to be 4 in April and like you, iv never met another!

I like names that stand out but aren't too out there. I like older names than newer ones I think, but my daughters name, Brooke, I just thought was pretty.

a friend of mine recently had a baby boy and called him Wilbur and I literally ADORE that name. I wish I had thought of it!!!!

xx

There are so many names like that popular in the late victorian era and just after.
I actually really like victor xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"