popular or unpopular . . . what's worse?

We deliberately avoided the 100 names but we didn't have to try hard as we really didn't like a lot them, we wanted to choose a name that is uncommon but not a bizarre/ modern creation and still one that people would recognise.

We deliberately avoided the 100 names but we didn't have to try hard as we really didn't like a lot them, we wanted to choose a name that is uncommon but not a bizarre/ modern creation and still one that people would recognise.

This is pretty much exactly how we did it too. lol

Nice names don't have to be totally out there, or in the top 100. The last thing I want is my kid(s) to be in class with 2-4 other kids with the same name. I knew sooooo many people named: Jennifer, Kelly, Jessica, Stephanie, Chris, Matt... The names are nice, and I actually do like them. But they're just too common. There are a million names out there to pick from, so its not that hard to find a nice name that isn't super popular. :)

I think made up or deliberate misspellings are worst. like spykorylla or vadgesty or brydykora or singpraises.

We wanted 'unusual' rather than obscure but we didn't want them to end up getting picked on because of them. I also, as an 'Aimee' (pronounced Amy) didn't want my children to end up one of 6 with the same name in a class (I kid you not! lol).

Earl is the most unusual and is a bit of a marmite name. You either like it and smile or you curl your lip in some unconscious reaction to it lol.

Edward we just really love it. I think it was number 40 on the top 100 in 2012 but with boys I have noticed that the top 10-20 get the high hits then it tails off quite dramatically. Unfortunately he may end up with other Edwards in his year as he was born just in the middle of the 'twilight' hype so there are a few Edward's his age around these parts lol. I still love the name though, no regrets.

Charles was named after my Uncle. His name was number 60 on the top 100 in 2013. Not too common, he can go by Charlie or Charles or CJ (his middle name is Jerome) so he has options.

I have another name lined up for a mystery 4th baby or a dog lol. But I am keeping that one close to my chest.

Girls names have been Joy, Faye and Lucy for the 3 boys. Again, not overly popular but not obscure.

I prefer semi traditional names over very obscure names but I think it's a personal choice. I don't like really overly popular names either and although I know Oliver is pretty popular I've never met another!

We picked Oliver because the name popped into my head and I adored it instantly. I was set on it from when I was about 6 weeks pregnant.

We thought long and hard about our girls name. We wanted something uncommon but traditional, you know, a real name. When we hit on Stella we just knew.

I think obscure is worse than popular. Niamh is incredibly popular with girls her age. But the mythology behind it means a lot to me.

I'd NEVER of called her something like Talliana, Belicity, Ledaisy etc (all names that have been at either her playgroup or nursery, all girls).

But we all have our own limits of obscurity. For example, my list of girls names this time are so far Josephine, Collette, Brigid and Henrietta. When I've mentioned them to friends they've laughed thinking I was joking. Tell me you want to call your baby Jazzmyn and I'd have to walk away very quickly so not to laugh in your face.

Belicity and LeDaisy?

I've since learned that Belicity after her 2 grandmothers. Belinda and Felicity. Ledaisy, I have no explanation for. I couldn't even begin to guess. :shrug:

I think if we have anymore girls we'll go for Cecelia, Violet, Quinn, Aria or Prue. I love those! Most people think they are unusual.

I generally like Popular names: Ava, Lily, Scarlet, Max. Most of my favorite names are in the top 100.

There are a few unpopular names that I love.. Piper, Bailey and Riley (only for girls) saw little girl called Parker on here which I love!

I don't particularly like obscure or made up names or names that don't age well.

I think if we have anymore girls we'll go for Cecelia, Violet, Quinn, Aria or Prue. I love those! Most people think they are unusual.

Quinn and Aria are both very popular around here, Niamh has 2 Quinns in her class.

Quinn and Aria are both very popular around here, Niamh has 2 Quinns in her class.
Really? Thats so cool! I know Arias gaining in popularity with Game of Thrones and Pretty Little Liars but i've literally only heard Quinn once on an American show :)

I love Cecilia!! I think it's so cute and classy :)

Isn't it just? I think it goes so well with my girls, if i have another and its a boy i have no names :haha:

Im in the unpopular camp!

I think I like 80s names haha. For number 4 id use Zoe, Sian or Lucy.
Its not about the name popularity but more about matching the other 3 names and being easy to say/spell/no silly nice names and sound half decent on an adult too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->