Positive for Chlamydia????

adr75050

Reaction score
So my husband and I had a full battery of all STD testing done in Jan of last year for fertility treatment. The year before that with another fertility doctor we did the same testing. All negative for both of us both times. I got pregnant and we got transferred over to my obgyn for treatment. She wanted to do all her own STD testing, so we did. I got a call today that I tested positive for Chlamydia. If you know anything about it, it is primarily diagnosed in ages 15-19 and common in populations under 25. My husband is 38 and I am 35. Neither of us have any symptoms (but evidently that is fairly common). More importantly, I am fairly confident (without being naive) that he has been faithful, and I know I have. The nurse stated that they suspect it could be a false positive ( I had a swab test) and therefore they are sending the swab to a different lab for a different test. But they called in an antibiotic for me and instructed me to take it today just in case. I am shocked and now alarmed, also offended. But the nurse was very nice and did say, "before you strangle your husband, we suspect it to be a false positive and are sending it for a re-test."

As if I need this drama and additional stress! I read online that this is actually fairly common in pregnancy to have a false positive. Anyone else ever experience this? I found hundreds for self-reports when I did a search online. It's just so un-necessarily stressful:(

sorry you're going through this! I hope it was just a false positive .. I never heard of having false positives for this before now. so try 2 relax until u know for sure. if it does come back that it was positive (not false) then u have some decisions 2 make. good luck with everything!

I've actually seen another post on here with this exact scenario. It's most likely a false positive. Yiu feel fairly solid with your relationship right? Go get tested again, I think this is one of those tests that can come back funny (well not so funny but you know what I mean).

2have4kids-seriously thank you, i need to hear posts like yours

I've not had experience with this, but I can't imagine the stress this has put on you both :( I'm glad they at least reassured you that it could just be a false positive, but still, I can't imagine having to deal with that :(

Thinking of you and hopefully things are worked out with the re-test :hugs:

Def likely to be a false positive, glad they did indicate as such as well. My aunt wasn't pregnant but she also had a false positive for both chlamydia and gonorrhea (it technically wasn't a false positive actually but a lab mix up actually)

I hope that is indeed the case. It sounds like you're pretty sure of your husband's faithfulness so I would be surprised if it turns out to be a legitimate diagnosis.

This kind of happened to me on my first...
My husband was my first sexual partner and my husband had only ever had a ONS before he got with me. Anyway he had an STD test as I wanted to be sure as we weren't using condoms. All clear.
On first pregnancy they offered me a routine smear. I was like why not, always good to see that everything is as it should be.
Got letter to say I needed a repeat, went back,then got another letter and phone call to say it was still inconclusive and it could be chlamydia. At first if was shocked and upset but then I relaxed as I knew my husband was faithful so I knew it wasn't that. After 3rd smear it turned out it was nothing. They did discover I had group b strep though, probably no connection.
Anyway just to agree - don't start with those accusations yet! Best of luck, and hope they figure it out soon!

Doctor called today and the second test came back positive too. They simply used the same swab on a second test. So if my swab was contaminated via dirty lab equipment during the first test, it is still contaminated during the second test. I kept looking around to see what STD testing was done in my fertility treatments and I thought that both my husband and I were tested for everything this time last year. Turns out no. We tested for HEP B,HEP C, HIV, and Syphilis but no test run for Chlamydia. So no telling how long we have had this if it is accurate. My husband reports for his test tomorrow and I have a retest with a fresh swab that will be sent to a different lab on Monday. This has turned my world upside down and caused arguing between myself and my husband. Im second guess everything now as we relocate, close on a house, and obviously my relationship. He is adamant he hasn't stepped out on me and is taking the test "to prove" it. This is not any more reassuring to me. Im too old for this crap and angry and resentful that I have been put in this position at this stage in my life.Its been a week since the doctors called to tell me and I am so angry that this drama drags on with more tests and more results. Totally want to break down and cry and will as soon as Im done writing this.

So sorry you have this to contend with, being 13 weeks pregnant is hard enough on your emotions (well it certainly has been for me) without having this to deal with!! Don't really have any advise to offer, just wanted to send you some cyber love x

Ask for a fresh swab testing to ensure that the answer wasn't cross contamination x

I can't believe they used the same swab! I can certainly see why it's causing you to question everything. FX it's a false pos again.. Stupid labs. I'd demand a second test, if I were you. If they're dragging their feet, can you get it done at a clinic or anything? Here we have GUM clinics where you can just drop in. Easier said than done, but try to stay calm until all of the results are back in xx

So sorry. I definitely would be asking them to take another swab.

If you were never tested before, you could very well have had it for a while (if it isn't false pos.) It doesn't necessarily mean anyone cheated :flower:

Oh I hope the fresh swab comes back negative.

If you haven't been tested at all for Chlamydia in the past (assuming you meant with either of your rounds of fertility testing), then it's very likely to be something that one/both of you picked up a long time ago. Actually, having an active Chlamydia infection can cause infertility, so it's amazing they didn't test you for it way back then. As someone who works in the sexual health field, I can tell you Chlamydia is incredibly common, many sexually active people do get it at some point in the years when they're dating and having multiple partners here and there (as in like, before they get into one long-term lifelong monogamous relationship). Rested assured, it's just very normal and common, and it likely doesn't mean anything untoward has happened. If neither of you has been tested in the past, it could have been hanging around for many, many years with no symptoms. Which isn't probably super nice to think about, but hopefully it's reassuring that it means your husband is probably being truthful. The good thing is that they checked now and if it's true you have it, you can both be treated, so that it doesn't have any negative effects on your birth or baby, which is the important thing.

I have a new swab test Monday. My husband has one today. We have been doing IVF for three years and last March I had a laporoscopy (spelling sorry) performed and endometriosis and a fibroid removed. I also had a uterine septum and had a laser procedure performed. I read that if I had this for years it would have progressed into PID after about 2 years, which is diagnosed by a laporoscopy and my fertility doctor would have picked up on it last year. So this leads me to believe I got it within the last year. My husband and I are fighting and we were supposed to go to my families to announce our pregnancy this weekend on Easter. Now he is refusing to go because I am accusing him of cheating. This is a disaster. Like I went through 3 years of IVF to finally get pregnant and deal with this crap!

I tested positive during my first pregnancy I was furious with my spouse. He was tested as well and his came back negative so for us it was a false positive

chathamlady - that is my hope at this point. This has turned my world upside down because I felt very secure in my relationship and my spouse and now these tests are causing me to doubt everything I think I know

There are three possibilities here that I can see.

1. The test was right because somebody cheated.

2. The test was right and the previous ones were wrong. Nobody cheated.

3. The test was wrong due to contamination/human error.

As Sherlock Holmes says, once you have eliminated every possibility, whatever remains, however improbable must be the answer. I'm hoping the lab messed up on this one :hugs:

girlinyork - Im hoping the lab messed up too, but I wont know until the my husbands labs come back and my new labs come back. But even then I may not know because the nurse said often times men test negative because the infection is on the exterior and their body can fight if off, as with women we carry our infection internally and we cant fight it off. Its beginning to look like I wont get any clear answers on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->