Possible blighted ovum???

Dollyh

Reaction score
Hi, I went to the early pregnancy unit yesterday thinking I was about 6 weeks pregnant. They scanned me early because of previous miscarriage. They could only find a gestational sac. They said this is normal but I'm so confused and have to wait an agonising 2 weeks to find out 😩 Anyone had anything like this? X

Hi, I have had two blighted ovums but didn't know until I started bleeding at what should have been 10 weeks. It's pretty normal to not see everything at your stage, and ypu could have ovulated a few days later than expected. Going off LMP is only a rough guide and even when I used OPKs, I ovulated about a week after I was meant to and caught the egg by accident. It doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about at the minute, so try to relax and be positive. Good luck for your next scan xxxxxx

I had a blighted ovum the first time I got pregnant. Like moom, I didn't find out till 10 weeks when I started spotting. This time I went for a scan at 6 weeks, couldn't see much but we did get a glimpse of a yolk sac. I was told that early a day can make a huge difference as to what you can see. Infact my measurements have been all over the place at each scan, sometime a week out (!) sometimes just a day or two. Try not to worry, it's very hit and miss that early. I hope the next two weeks fly by for you. xxx

Dollyh, I am in the EXACT same position as you right now! Doc said not to worry just yet but that we are either not as far along as we thought or I have a blighted ovum. We go back on the 26th. When do you go back? I know how you feel with the agonizing wait!

I've been reading a lot about blighted ovum diagnoses and it seems that this is the type of miscarriage that is misdiagnosed the most. Not that either of us have been diagnosed with that at this point! I'm sure an incorrect diagnosis happens hardly ever relatively speaking, but if what I've been reading is accurate then there are a whole host of reasons for things to appear that way when really a healthy baby is actually in there all along. Sorry if I'm sharing what you already know, but the consensus seems to be that we can't be certain of a blighted ovum diagnosis until 9-10 weeks, so keep that in mind when you go back. If our doc tells us there is no change then I will trust that it is a blighted ovum. Nonetheless, after all I've read I think I would still be unwilling to consider a dnc until I'm a few weeks farther along. Which would suck for closure, etc., but imo it would be worth it to feel certain of the diagnosis. Sorry to jabber on about something you didn't even ask about! In any case, I am so right there with you right now :)

My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum. My hcg levels rose but never really doubled. With my DD, I had an early scan (think I was 5w6d) and all we saw was gestational sac and yolk sac. No heartbeat or even baby. I went back a week later and there was baby with heart beating away. As other ladies have said, a day or two can make such a big difference at this early stage. Stay positive! Xx

Hi

I was as scared as you.. They could noyl see gestational sac at 5w4d and that was the expectation really. 7weekish is when u can see yolk sac, fetal pol, HB etc. so it all builds up v fast..

Here is my thread from a couple of years ago:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...729-scan-5-wks-only-gestational-sac-seen.html

Thanks for the replys, my scan is on the 29th September. Still over a week to wait. All your stories are reassuring it's just my tummy feels empty if you know what I mean. I have no uterus stretching or cramps and with my other 2 children I had it. It's so scary yet my doctor wasn't worried at all 😪
SwtlyBlessed are you going to wait until your scan or try and get in sooner? Don't know wether to try and get in faster I hate the not knowing xxx

Try not to worry yet, although I know it's hard. I'm trying really hard to enjoy the fact that I am actually pregnant, even if it turns out that I'm not a week from now. I'm waiting the two weeks bc my doc said we want to give it plenty of time to see development, and this space of time is more conclusive. I did have the option of getting my HCG levels tested three days apart, so maybe you could do that? But even with that he said it COULD give us good news but might also seem like a bad sign when it wasn't at all. My hubby is a nurse studying to be an NP and he agreed, so I finally just let it go. That said, I would think that as long as you were ok with it not being covered by insurance you would be free to have it checked whenever you want.

As for the empty feeling, who knows. They do say every pregnancy is different so it could just be that. Or not. Ah it really is agonizing to not know like this! Feel free to message or whatever if you want to commiserate along the way :)

Kind of in the same boat. 5+6 on monday and only saw gestational sac.

So i need opinions.

My dr called and wants me to go in to talk to her tomorrow. She wouldnt talk to me over the phone. And i asked what the point was and they said because they wont refer me for another ultrasound or blood work until i see her.

So whatever ill go. I know the actual reason she wants me to go in is to talk about the liklihood of a blighted ovum.

But the thing is.. She will only send me for blood work once. Which is kind of pointless because one beta tells me nothing. And she doesnt do repeats. Knowing this, i dont care to sit at a walk in to get bloods done tomorrow for four hours because appts take three weeks to get so id have to do walk in.

Id prefer to just wait for the ultrasound and if my next ultrasound is off.. Then to do the blood work process.

What are others thoughts on this?

Mississippi, what ever happened with this? I replied several days ago and apparently actually submitted it, sorry about that. At the risk of repeating myself I do really feel that no one can be sure of a blighted ovum until ten weeks or so. Just curious how things progressed

Mississippi, what ever happened with this? I replied several days ago and apparently actually submitted it, sorry about that. At the risk of repeating myself I do really feel that no one can be sure of a blighted ovum until ten weeks or so. Just curious how things progressed

Thanks for writing!
I talked my dr out of betas and talked her into doing another scan. I go in on thursday.. At which point I should be 7+2 so I should be able to see something.
Im for sure starting to feel pregnant. I haven't been so worried. Ill wait until thursday to be worried!

My first scan with this one at 6 weeks didn't show much other than the sac. It was just too early to see much.

I have had a blighted ovum before and it was at 7.5 wks and there was nothing in the sac. I opted for a d&c but then wondered if it was a case of misdiagnosed miscarriage so I would always wait longer to know for sure if it happened again.

Please click on the link at the bottom of my signature. It may help I went through the same thing. Yet my princess asleep next to me now. Try and stay positive x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->