Pregnant after 5 losses

dakotamom87

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I could sure use some success stories right about now. I just got a bfp at 11dpo this morning and really want to be excited. I have 3 amazing kids and then all of a sudden 5 consecutive losses. One at 13 weeks, 1 at 5.5 weeks and 3 right after finding out I am pregnant. I have since been diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and take a baby aspirin a day.
I am so nervous and trying to stay positive. Anyone have any success stories or is going through the same thing?

Hi ladies

I could sure use some success stories right about now. I just got a bfp at 11dpo this morning and really want to be excited. I have 3 amazing kids and then all of a sudden 5 consecutive losses. One at 13 weeks, 1 at 5.5 weeks and 3 right after finding out I am pregnant. I have since been diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and take a baby aspirin a day.
I am so nervous and trying to stay positive. Anyone have any success stories or is going through the same thing?

Me! Almost at the finish line now with my first. I almost but never quite gave up hope that I could make it out of the first trimester and I finally did.

Which clotting disorder do you have? They aren't giving you lovenox injections as well?

I have Factor V Leiden and MTHFR.

Me! Almost at the finish line now with my first. I almost but never quite gave up hope that I could make it out of the first trimester and I finally did.

Which clotting disorder do you have? They aren't giving you lovenox injections as well?

I have Factor V Leiden and MTHFR.

Hi and thank you for your reply!
I am newly diagnosed with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and really haven't had a chance to talk with my doctor since my diagnosis. He had wanted me to come in this month and discuss the diagnosis but I became pregnant before I had a chance to. Before I was tested, my doctor told me he would want to wait till 6 weeks before giving me lovenox. The problem is, I lose my pregnancies very early on, like at 4.5-5.5 weeks.

I knew this was going to be a problem so I stared taking baby aspirin after I ovulated hoping that would help some. I am pretty frustrated because there really isn't a game plan and I feel helpless.

Hi and thank you for your reply!
I am newly diagnosed with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and really haven't had a chance to talk with my doctor since my diagnosis. He had wanted me to come in this month and discuss the diagnosis but I became pregnant before I had a chance to. Before I was tested, my doctor told me he would want to wait till 6 weeks before giving me lovenox. The problem is, I lose my pregnancies very early on, like at 4.5-5.5 weeks.

I knew this was going to be a problem so I stared taking baby aspirin after I ovulated hoping that would help some. I am pretty frustrated because there really isn't a game plan and I feel helpless.

I got second and third opinions on my diagnosis and all agreed on starting lovenox the moment I knew I was pregnant. Actually I had 5 doctors say the same as I ended up on a hunt for the “right” ob/gyn I felt comfortable with and was sent to the repro endocrinologist.

Have you called the doctor yet? You should call now and tell them you are pregnant. I’ve had ultrasounds as early as 6-7 weeks since my diagnosis. You could also say you want to start the lovenox now.

I had a DD, 3 losses in a row, a second DD and now pregnant with a boy (got my panorama result back today).

Although nothing was found for me after recurrent loss testing, my OH had high sperm DNA fragmentation which put me at a higher risk of miscarriage due to chromosome issues.

I am paranoid but just taking it one day at a time. I would definitely get a second opinion and maybe start medication straight away? Is there any harm in starting the medication early?

Fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy for you :)

Also, the 13 week loss could have been for a different reason. My sonographer said anything after 8/9 weeks is usually because of chromosome issues - but could be different because of your clotting issues.

3 of my early losses had heartbeats and stopped growing around 6-7 weeks. The two losses I had on Lovenox were an empty sac (blighted ovum) and a heartbeat at 6 weeks but a very thin lining and a loss at 7. I really urge you to ask for the medicine now. It won’t hurt you and it might help.

Thank you ladies for your replies and support! After talking to both my RE and OB, they decided to put my on lovenox injections right away. He did say that is was a good thing I began taking the baby aspirin when I did. Although I hate needles (I am a huge wimp) I feel good to have a game plan this time around and hopefully, this one sticks!!

It is so difficult, because I want to get over- the-top excited, and look at cute maternity clothes, and think of baby names, but I feel as if I have learned from the past and to just take it day by day. These next few days I feel are pretty critical. I lost 3 of the 5 pregnancies a few days after finding out I am pregnant, so I am crossing my fingers! Does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to take your lovenex shots?

Thank you ladies for your replies and support! After talking to both my RE and OB, they decided to put my on lovenox injections right away. He did say that is was a good thing I began taking the baby aspirin when I did. Although I hate needles (I am a huge wimp) I feel good to have a game plan this time around and hopefully, this one sticks!!

It is so difficult, because I want to get over- the-top excited, and look at cute maternity clothes, and think of baby names, but I feel as if I have learned from the past and to just take it day by day. These next few days I feel are pretty critical. I lost 3 of the 5 pregnancies a few days after finding out I am pregnant, so I am crossing my fingers! Does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to take your lovenex shots?

Hi Dakota, that's great news! I wrote up my lovenox routine in post #4 of this thread:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/threads/mthfr.2473724/

I'm on heparin twice a day now that I've reached the end of the 3rd trimester, switching over at 36 weeks seems to be the standard. It's more of a pain in the butt, I miss lovenox! lol.

Hi Dakota, that's great news! I wrote up my lovenox routine in post #4 of this thread:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/threads/mthfr.2473724/

I'm on heparin twice a day now that I've reached the end of the 3rd trimester, switching over at 36 weeks seems to be the standard. It's more of a pain in the butt, I miss lovenox! lol.

You are almost there girl!! Do you know how long after you deliver are you still going to be on heparin? I am confused by the whole thing. Like, I know after you give birth you are at a greater risk for blood clots, so you would still need to be on it, but you also bleed alot. Wouldn't you bleed out haha?

I had a similar experience to you. I had three children and then four losses in a row. I had all the testing. It came back showing I was anemic and extremely low in Vitamin D. We fixed them both and my next pregnancy was successful. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Vitamin D as I found a few links between a deficiency and miscarriage, but I haven't had a doctor say they think that was the problem. I'm now unexpectedly expecting again and she is doing great so far. I am anemic again, but my VitD levels are great because I've been supplementing for years. It's encouraging to know they can find problems and fix them. I wish you the best with your pregnancy. :flower:

I had a similar experience to you. I had three children and then four losses in a row. I had all the testing. It came back showing I was anemic and extremely low in Vitamin D. We fixed them both and my next pregnancy was successful. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Vitamin D as I found a few links between a deficiency and miscarriage, but I haven't had a doctor say they think that was the problem. I'm now unexpectedly expecting again and she is doing great so far. I am anemic again, but my VitD levels are great because I've been supplementing for years. It's encouraging to know they can find problems and fix them. I wish you the best with your pregnancy. :flower:

Jules, do you know what your D levels are and were?

How much D do you supplement with?

I have been disagnosed as anemic and D deficient this pregnancy, but was told both cases are mild. My research on how much vitamin D to take indicated such a wide variety in what is considered a normal level.

Last edited:
It was in the teens. They gave me 50,000 IU's once a week for two months and after that they had me take 5,000 IU a day during winter and 3,000 IU a day during summer. I took it diligently for years, but now I probably take it half the time. They tested it about five weeks ago and it was 62.4 which is great. I moved states and have a new doctor this pregnancy and she is not in support of taking such high levels of Vit D. She wants me to switch to 600-800 IU a day. I am finishing the bottle I have but am willing to drop the level to a smaller dose, although I'm not sure it will be as low as she suggests. I am interested to see what level it will be at in a year of making the change. I don't want to overdose but what I have done so far has been what my body needed and I'm a little hesitant to change it too much.

Thanks for the info.

Mine was 29 in the first trimester and the lab range here indicates should be above 30 and below 50 (I think). It looks like Australia, for instance, encourages much higher levels!

She told me to add 25 mcg per day and she’ll retest in a year. I bought a D3 supplement and it was already in two of my other vitamins, so I am taking 75 mcg daily (3000 IU). I am positive I will have to remind her to retest, she definitely didn’t think I have much of a problem. Both of my parents supplement too, but I’m not sure how much.

Hi and thank you!
I have also read about the correlation between low vitamin D and miscarriage! I know my prenatal vitamin has 400 IU of D. I am not sure if I am low or not but I started taking a D3 Supplement of 1000 IU as well because I also read that having too much could be bad too. Haha I just want to cover all my bases this time!

I had APS and thrombophelia and cannot take a baby to term unless I’m on injectables. BTW I also always supplement with vit D too as it’s one of the most important supplements for hormonal & fertility functions.
When you have these blood clot conditions you need to be on injectables as soon as you know your pregnant. Blood clotting impedes the embryo from implanting deeply. If clits form between embryo and where it needs to dig into to eventually establush nurishment it can break away resulting in m/c. With APS you should also consider taking baby aspirin when you’re a senior to prevent stroke & heart attack. After I found out what my issue was I had multiple m/c’s and couldn’t concieve for 6 years of trying. As soon as I was treated I had a singeton girl and then twins girls within a 2 year period. I am the happiest mom ever - finally. Good luck with your pregnancy!

I had APS and thrombophelia and cannot take a baby to term unless I’m on injectables. BTW I also always supplement with vit D too as it’s one of the most important supplements for hormonal & fertility functions.
When you have these blood clot conditions you need to be on injectables as soon as you know your pregnant. Blood clotting impedes the embryo from implanting deeply. If clits form between embryo and where it needs to dig into to eventually establush nurishment it can break away resulting in m/c. With APS you should also consider taking baby aspirin when you’re a senior to prevent stroke & heart attack. After I found out what my issue was I had multiple m/c’s and couldn’t concieve for 6 years of trying. As soon as I was treated I had a singeton girl and then twins girls within a 2 year period. I am the happiest mom ever - finally. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Thank you! This makes so much sense! I started taking baby aspirin as soon as I ovulated and I tested early, like 11 dpo, and got a strong BFP. That next day I started my injections. I am positive this one is going strong because I started the aspirin when I did.I am also taking an extra Vitamin D supplement and I feel that is helping as well. I am now 7 weeks 2 days and just saw my baby's heartbeat flickering away on the ultrasound. I about cried I was so happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->