Pregnant with #1 ~ May Babies 2013!

I also struggle with which size to get Sass. I was 9 lbs 3 oz at birth. DH was under 7 lbs ? oz. I know it was under 8, but more than 7, and he was maybe a couple of days early (I was 12 days late). I think I'm just going to go with 0-3, unless on scans baby is measuring in a smaller percentile.

Mainly my struggle with the going home outfit is should I get something that I want for "all" of my babies to come home in, or should I just pick out something special for this one? There can always be some other item that all of them wear :shrug:. I think DH wants one for "all" of them, but like I said before, after LTTTC I don't want to cheat my experience now on the unknown of whether or not I'll even have more.

Plus I was asking SIL, what is MIL going to do with that one item now? Is she going to give it to us and expect us to start a tradition with it (please no...)? Will she offer it to SIL when she gets pregnant? Or one of the other 3 kids? Or will she just hold onto it in a closet in storage forever? If I get each kid their own special thing, then I can pass it on to them when they have children of their own, to use as they wish.

Also, babies don't regulate their temps well. The rule of thumb is to have them in one more layer than you'd wear yourself, but then in the end I think it does vary by baby as some babies get hot and sweaty very easily!

MissPriss, that's awesome about your homebirth! I've semi-joked with DH that I'm ready to be done with doctors and do a homebirth. I don't think it's legal here, or at least not common as I can't even find a midwife who practices in hospitals! But there are other factors. We live in a 2nd story (rented) apartment, would take 15 minutes minimum to get to a hospital, which is too long imo, and also it would make DH extremely uncomfortable and I don't want to place him in that position. That's awesome that your DH is supportive of it!

Ooo I feel left out... we don't really have a 'going home outfit' custom for our babies here! Put some piccies on so we can see!

MissPriss, that's awesome about your homebirth! I've semi-joked with DH that I'm ready to be done with doctors and do a homebirth. I don't think it's legal here, or at least not common as I can't even find a midwife who practices in hospitals! But there are other factors. We live in a 2nd story (rented) apartment, would take 15 minutes minimum to get to a hospital, which is too long imo, and also it would make DH extremely uncomfortable and I don't want to place him in that position. That's awesome that your DH is supportive of it!

Well it is legal most places. It is not common here in Arkansas, but is perfectly legal. Are you in the US? It's legal in over half the states, although it may be hard to find someone.

It is 17 minutes from our house to hospital. I say 15 in an emergency, because speeding would be thrown out the window because I wouldn't stop for a cop in an emergency, he could just follow me to the hospital with his lights on for all I care. To me, this is plenty close! Most times there is an "emergency" my experienced midwife will be able to tell long before it gets that way. You can call ahead in an emergency and they will prep for surgery or what needs be and you are just whisked in. In reality, if you are already in a hospital, they still need that 10-15 minutes to prep for surgery anyway, and you probably wouldn't get in any faster.

Well again, my DH would never feel comfortable with it anyway. I'm already a little bit too "out of the box" for him, at least when it comes to all of this.

I just looked it up, and apparently it's legal here, but the laws are stricter than, say, Texas, the next state to the west. I'm just a state below you ;). If I hadn't lost my job in the first trimester, I would've tried to convince DH to go with a birth center over in Texas, but since we'd have to self-pay we can't afford that now. And on that same note, I doubt we'd be able to afford a home birth here either.

From my internet searches, at least, there are no midwives in our area. My friend in Kentucky went to a certified nurse midwife for her prenatal care and (natural) hospital birth. That would've been my ideal, but I can't even find one of those :wacko:

Well again, my DH would never feel comfortable with it anyway. I'm already a little bit too "out of the box" for him, at least when it comes to all of this.

I just looked it up, and apparently it's legal here, but the laws are stricter than, say, Texas, the next state to the west. I'm just a state below you ;). If I hadn't lost my job in the first trimester, I would've tried to convince DH to go with a birth center over in Texas, but since we'd have to self-pay we can't afford that now. And on that same note, I doubt we'd be able to afford a home birth here either.

From my internet searches, at least, there are no midwives in our area. My friend in Kentucky went to a certified nurse midwife for her prenatal care and (natural) hospital birth. That would've been my ideal, but I can't even find one of those :wacko:

DH was against it until he met the midwife, she answered all of his questions and concerns and now he asks me "Why do doctors do all that stuff [pitocin, labor on back, electronic fetal monitoring] if it isn't good for babies and moms?" He's switched over!

I saw a few, but if your husband isn't on board...Yeah I have to pay out of pocket for my homebirth. I may get partial reimbursement from the insurance company, but I am not counting on it. You can always look for a doula to help with your natural birth in the hospital, but again, it would probably be out of pocket. Probably a lot cheaper than a homebirth though.

I'm going to probably do the same - pick out a boy outfit and a girl outfit, bring both to the hospital, & just return the one that isn't used!

However, another WICKED cute idea that I had considered:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/82088888/going-home-onesie-made-to-order?ref=&sref=

What do you girls think?? :D

That's adorable Bella!

MissPriss, after my conversation with you, I tried to do a bit more research on homebirths in the area, and there were several other postings in various places on the internet looking for a midwife here. But no, DH definitely isn't on board. I have just been adjusting him to all of my "hippie" ideas throughout the pregnancy, so he knows what I want and can advocate for me. When I explain WHY I want things that way, he still thinks it's a bit far out but isn't as weirded out I guess. I will also have a birth plan written up, with him having his very own copy, so he doesn't forget what I want lol. And I'll be discussing it all with my doctor beforehand... of course in hospital births there's no guarantee you actually get your doctor :wacko: But I will labor at home as long as possible to try to avoid laboring very long in the hospital. I know once you get there they put you on a time clock basically.

I think you could make the on your own Bella! Looks simple enough and a cute idea to boot.

Selfish post alert... me and my boy have made it to V day!! Wahoooooo!!!!

Happy V-day Padbrat! I know it's been a long time coming :hugs:

Yay PB!!!!!

It's not selfish....I plan on celebrating in 6 days too!!!!

Definately not selfish - I am totally planning on celebrating as well. Actually I figured most of us would be posting the same thing...so hopefully let's see all those posts start rolling in....

So happy for you PB! Lucky number 7 he is! Little champion!
Our going home outfits are nothing specific, just a nice outfit. My mom did my brother and I both in all white knit I think. Maybe a bonnet and booties and a little knit romper, but that was her. I can't decide what to do for Dylan. Should I go all for comfort, or modern with a funky flair?

I'm due with my first on May 27th. And my biggest symptoms at the present moment are probably my gigantic tatas (they're so swollen I feel like I need a table tied around my neck), major mood swings, and freaky dreams.

Tomorrow is my gender ultrasound, and just as I start to really think things are going smoothly, it snows. D: URG I am hoping I can make it off my dirt road and through the 35 miles to the appointment!! My Fiance and I have been looking oh so forward to this ultrasound. :( Hope I don't have to reschedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->