Prices?

Ladybug2001

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Baby fever is hitting hard for me again, so I've decided to focus on the price.

Can anyone help breakdown the general cost of pregnancy and delivery?

It will totally depend on where you live. For me, in Canada, it's all covered on health care but I know in the USA it can be up to $10 000. Where are you?

I live in the US and total for ds was over $25,000 before insurance. This was a routine (induced) vaginal delivery. I did have extra monitoring through the pregnancy. I believe our out of pocket was around 5,000.

I've heard in the U.S. that it can be $10,000-$15,000 with no insurance. I believe our maximum out of pocket is $5,000 for our insurance. :)

I live in the US and total for ds was over $25,000 before insurance. This was a routine (induced) vaginal delivery. I did have extra monitoring through the pregnancy. I believe our out of pocket was around 5,000.

WOW! That is so much money! And that is just for a normal, routine pregnancy?

WOW! That is so much money! And that is just for a normal, routine pregnancy?

I was monitored extra towards the end due to diabetes but outside of that everything was normal. I had no complications with the pregnancy or delivery.

I think I received 4 growth scans and 4 stress tests and one fetal echo. And I believe on the printout of my bill those were around 200 each, except the echo was 600. So nothing that would suggest such an increase. I think the quotes of 10,000 for a normal pregnancy are outdated.

Those prices are crazy. Why do you guys shun public health care again?

Those prices are crazy. Why do you guys shun public health care again?

Oh believe me I don't! I definitely support a single payer system. Why everyone else doesn't is beyond me. There is so much corruption and fear mongering here it is unbelievable.

Jeezo this is terrifying! My pregnancy was slightly more complicated, I had 5 early scans, my NT scan, 20 weeks scan, and then 3 growth scans. I had 4 episodes of reduced movement which resulted in all day stays in hospitals on monitors, then weekly monitors from 30 weeks, induction, and eventually an emergency c section. There is no way in hell I could afford to have a baby in the US!

Those prices are insane! Thank goodness for the NHS :wacko:

I tallied up once that my first birth cost so much money at US prices that at the rate I pay national insurance at, I will never pay back what it cost, in my entire lifetime. Monitoring, scans, painkillers, physio, then an emergency c-section and an 8-day stay in hospital for both of us, with baby spending a lot of that time in NICU and private room for me, antibiotics, various investigations to try and determine the infection, lumbar puncture x 2, etc etc - then breastfeeding support and two different types of community support - and that's before you even get started on the therapy it took to put me on the path to recovery from the PND I swiftly developed as a result of all of the above..

And I went on to have another two sprogs (less complicated than the first, admittedly, but still not 'routine' since apparently once you have a c-section, you're then a liability)! :haha:

I'm so glad I live in Ontario where it's covered by OHIP. I don't think I could ever afford to have baby living in the US.

Essentially, it would cost at most whatever your out of pocket maximum is on your insurance plan. Most plans cover the actual maternity costs (appts, etc) at 100%. Then delivery, etc would be based on cost of hospital, services rendered, length of stay, etc. I had a great plan with my first and paid about $1200 for the whole thing including all my prenatal, a c section, lactation consultants, 5 days in hospital, and my son needing extra care in the special care nursery and extra nights in the hospital. I would check your insurance policy to see what your max would be, and you could always call your provider to discuss details.

My delivery was like 18,000 before insurance, I was in labor36 hours and stayed 2.5 days after she was born, that included induction, epidural, and food, idk how much my appointments added up to

I'm not sure what my total bill was but all of my scans (had to have 5 in total plus a NST), blood work and visits were fully covered. The actual labor and birth we paid 2,500 out of pocket. Thankfully my Hubby's old job fully covered medical costs so we were reimbursed.

In New Zealand I pay $45 for a scan, and $5 for any prescriptions. Everything else is covered by the government including my choice of midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->