Prisoners get the right to vote?

Scamp

I'm a mummy
Reaction score
What does everyone think of this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11674014

From what I can tell, they won't all get the right. Full life and murderers won't get to.
I can't see how it will work. How are they going to make sure prisoners get full information on each party? How will they work out what constituency (sp?) the votes go to?

I think that if they want to vote then they should have to pay council tax. They can spend their prison work wage on that if they want to vote so much.

x

Surely the whole point of prison is that offenders don't deserve the rights of a normal member of society. :dohh: More European nonsense!

I've been thinking about this too and whilst I understand why we've had this policy in place I don't think I agree with it. I realise criminals have gone against society's rules but I think the right to vote is fundamental for everyone. They might be inside for having broken a contentious law and without the opportunity to vote there is no way to play a part in changing the law. The law after all isn't always right.

The loss of voting rights for prisoners predates women having the vote. I think it represents a time before we were a truly democratic country and that should be redressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->