private messages being displayed on facebook??

lau86

Reaction score
someone had put a warning post on my news feed saying, do you know that facebook are displaying all private messages in the timeline?? normally i would take this with a pinch of salt but i had a look and some of the messages are there! not all, but some. I'm absolutely fuming, there are some personal messages in my inbox that are between myself and people that live far away so we don't see eachother all the time, things that are PRIVATE MESSAGES for a reason!!! Just stuff i wouldn't want all my facebook friends to see, cos lets face it not all of them are "friends". Does anyone know anything about this???

I saw this in the news last week, but fb denied it and said it wasnt true.

Off to check my timeline !!

Had a look on my timeline, I don't have any showing but a friend of mine has, I just hid mine anyway!

I can't see any on mine but thanks for the warning, i'll keep a check on it xx

This is what I had posted on my wall, the last part gives instuctions on what to do. Still not sure if its a hoax though as I pp my friend had some pm's on her timeline.

Your private chat messages are now visible for all to see, from 2011 and earlier! This could get VERY awkward, very quickly...this is a new change from Facebook as of yesterday. Read your timeline from those years...yikes! They look like wall posts.....they are not!

There's an easy fix--when you're in your own timeline, just click on the year on the right (2007, 2008, 2009) and you'll see a box with a bunch of friends' messages and a header that says 89 people have written on your timeline--hover over the right until you see the pencil, click and select hide from timeline. do that for each year and let your friends know so they can do the same!!

There have been some on mine and on the timelines of some people I know. I'm fuming. Only noticed yesterday after someone on facebook said that it had happened to them so I checked xx

Can't say I've seen similar, FB claimed its not true as well?

I saw this and hid mine just incase. Bit worrying really seen as I can't hide my messages to other people if it is true.

OMG just looked at mine and yes there are messages that were sent via inbox, i.e Private. Thankfully they don't seem to bad and are not all are there from what I can see looking at my phone, going to go have a look on computer though just incase.

Thanks for the warning. :flower:

99% of the ones I checked on my Facebook were showing! Its so wrong!

i have checked back every year on mine and it is only showing things that were on my wall, not pm'd

I have just hidden my wall posts and been through all my messages and deleted them, there are messages sent that were only meant for the people I sent them too!

This hasn't come up on mine either x

Ive just checked mine & it's only showing stuff that was posted on my wall so im not worried x

Facebook really is getting ridiculous. Going to check mine on the laptop first thing in the morning.

I have just hidden my wall posts and been through all my messages and deleted them, there are messages sent that were only meant for the people I sent them too!

I was going to do this but there are messages on my wall that I deleted long ago from inbox, some I'm not even friends with anymore so I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference. :growlmad:

Deleted messages aren't properly deleted, just archived.

I don't get how FB can deny it's happened :wacko:
I have loads of old PMs showing. Nothing I particularly care enough to delete but it's absolutely awful for those who might have very private things on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->