Proper names for genitals from the outset?

My children use proper terms, although Jasper has picked up weiner for his lately. My mom called mine a foo-foo, and it was just plain weird. I did call Jasper's a bumble bee for a bit, but stopped that as I was worried about what he would think if he heard someone being stung by a bumble bee. I don't think of the proper terms as dirty or naughty. Your elbow is an elbow, and your penis is a penis and your vagina is a vagina. Vulva I hate...but, it is a correct term, so I will use it, if it comes up. I do call Jasper's scrotum, nuts....hubby hates that and thinks they should be called testicles. I just think nuts is an easier word to say. lol

this is exactly my thinking. :thumbup:

I do remember one day walking in from primary school, hitching up my skirt and pointing there, saying "what's this called?"
My mum did answer me, and said "that's your vagina", but I don't think I called it that ever, even though I knew. *shrugs*

Just because i dont use the correct terminoligy... doesn't mean i think they're 'dirty' or 'naughty' ... its just easier! and my background i guess... myself saying vagina sounds ridiculous but when she needs to know the right time ie... when she even pays any attention to it i'll teach her. But right now i think she's fine!

i asked my daughter if many people at school call it 'vagina' and 'penis' and if i taught her that would she say it.

her response was through almost tears of laughing and the raise of one eyebrow, "your kidding arent you, if i said that around my friends they'd laugh me out onto the playground and tell me to get a grip, there's just some words teenagers dont use if they dont want the piss took out of them and vagina is one of them"

she promptly told me to shut up then :rofl:
she's nearly 16 btw

Ithink it doesn't matter what things are called really. I was brought up with the proper terms, maybe it was because my parents were a doc and a nurse so they were used to using the correct terms daily. I don't understand using vagina instead of vulva though. Why bring in the correct term and then use it wrongly? I don't think vagina is a word most young children will even need to know, as another poster said I wasn't even really aware mine was there and didn't really need to

I think it's important to know your body, and H can use slang when she is older if she wants.

We will use both the proper names and alternatives. I want my children to know and be comfortable with words such as vulva or penis but to feel able to casually use alternatives. I don't always refer to my genitals formally and don't expect my kids to.

OASN: We had an amusing incident about a week ago when dd2 (watching something like deadly 60) referred to an Octopus's 'testicles', it was out of her mouth before she knew it and we were all rolling around laughing (including her!!!)

My children use proper terms, although Jasper has picked up weiner for his lately. My mom called mine a foo-foo, and it was just plain weird. I did call Jasper's a bumble bee for a bit, but stopped that as I was worried about what he would think if he heard someone being stung by a bumble bee. I don't think of the proper terms as dirty or naughty. Your elbow is an elbow, and your penis is a penis and your vagina is a vagina. Vulva I hate...but, it is a correct term, so I will use it, if it comes up. I do call Jasper's scrotum, nuts....hubby hates that and thinks they should be called testicles. I just think nuts is an easier word to say. lol

this is exactly my thinking. :thumbup:

LOL .... in my family an elbow is always called an eblow :haha: (and eyebrows are eyebrowns) - both leftovers from when Charlotte was learning to talk

lol!! spaghetti bolognaise (sp?) is always called basketty boil an eggs from when I was learning to talk!!

and this is a COB not a roll or bap, its a "COB" :rofl:

https://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq307/rosiehelen32/cob.jpg

Are you sure Helen? I think cobs are bigger, like a lb of flour's worth but the same shape. :rofl:

Are you sure Helen? I think cobs are bigger, like a lb of flour's worth but the same shape. :rofl:

what do you call them up there, hevz off here calls them something i've never even heard of, but in dercyshire we call them cobs, even in dudley where i live now they call them cobs and they have a really strange accent :haha:

Im going to use tail or willy for a boy and fanny for a girl.

I agree that specimen is a bread roll. A bap is softer and a bit wider/flatter. Then there's stotties in the NE I'd say were giant muffins, like the muffins you'd get chips in (usually white) not the weird little muffins that are flat on both sides and covered in rice flour. :rofl: Bread's a seriously complicated business!

Btw I grew up in North Derbyshire, 19 years there not calling that a cob! :rofl:

Btw I grew up in North Derbyshire, 19 years there not calling that a cob! :rofl:

any bigger it would be a loaf,

you get soft cob and crusty cobs, i grew up just outside matlock, we must have been close.

a roll is what you put hot dogs in :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->