Provera?

s_love

Mom to 1 & Newly Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi ladies! Im new to this site and never been on a site like this. Theres so much information in these forums I dont know where exactly to start so forgive me if Im repeating another question. Up until earlier this month, I didnt even know I had PCOS. After all the tests and ultrasounds my doctor told me thats the reason for my irregular periods and why ttc has been a challenge. She recently put me on Provera to get things rolling and today was day 8, so I have 2 more days. When did AF come for you ladies while taking these pills? My doctor told me it wasnt uncommon to start during the 10 days (she said day 5 or so) of taking pills but it also wasnt uncommon to start up to 1.5 weeks after I finish the pills... lol thats a large spectrum! So Im wondering what some of the experiences were for other people. Thanks!

I'm also new to taking Provera — I am on day 7 with only slight cramping and no sign of AF.

I think it varies from person to person! I'm hoping I get AF within a day or two of finishing up.

My cramping started day 7 too and it increased slightly today. Did your doctor mention anything about AF being heavier than normal? My doctor didnt, but I read that a lot of women experience that.

No, my doctor didn't mention anything else. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little heavier, since we are using medication to induce it.

This is the first time I'm looking forward to getting AF, lol.

i just started provera too, im on day 4 - how are you guys doing? im scheduled to take it for 10 days. nothing is happening yet....

Im currently on day 9 of 10, and I have had light cramps since day 7 but other than that nothing. I wish it would hurry up already so I could start the Clomid!

I know exactly what you mean! I'm SO hoping Clomid is my miracle drug!

I'm on day 8, had cramping last night but nothing today. Just the faintest tint when I wiped, so I think after I take the last pill AF will be right around the corner. *fingers crossed*

When i took it she said if i hadn't gotten a period a week after i stopped taking the pills to call her but that never happened! the first time i took it i went about 5 days over the initial 10 days of pills , the time after that it was down to 13 and stayed that next few rounds i took it. so hang in there!! good luck!

I know exactly what you mean! I'm SO hoping Clomid is my miracle drug!

I'm on day 8, had cramping last night but nothing today. Just the faintest tint when I wiped, so I think after I take the last pill AF will be right around the corner. *fingers crossed*
See Im not even getting the tinting or anything. As ready as I am to start the Clomid I heard some of the side effects were just awful... I really hope I dont get any.

With Provera, you are not supposed to start bleeding until after you have taken all ten doses. This is because Provera mimics the rise in progesterone at ovulation. The reason they give you 10 days it that it mimics a natural luteal phase.

Normally, when you ovulate, the corpus luteum (the thing the egg comes out of on the ovary) begins producing progesterone. If the egg does not get fertilized and implant, the corpus luteum dies after 10-16 days and progesterone levels drop. The drop in progesterone is what causes you to start your period.

So the way Provera is supposed to work is that you take it for ten days and your body thinks you ovulated. Once you stop taking the Provera , your body thinks that fertilization did not happen and that the corput luteum is dead. So the DROP in progesterone is what causes your period to start.

The Provera doesn't always work for everyone on the first go. Most docs/midwives start you on a 10mg dose. If this isn't enough to trick your body into thinking you ovulated you'll be upped to a 20mg dose for ten days.

The reason that they say you could start your period while taking Provera is because you could have already ovulated (delayed/late ovulation) and you're about to start your period anyway. If you have already ovulated (but just don't know it) the Provera increases the level of progesterone in your body. When your corpus luteum dies your progesterone levels will drop enough that it may still trigger your period, even if you are on the Provera.

Even if you see bleeding during the Provera course, you should still continue the Provera for the full ten days just in case the bleeding is break-through bleeding and not actually a period. (In loooong cycles, break through bleeding can be heavy enough that it appears to be a light period.)

With Provera, you are not supposed to start bleeding until after you have taken all ten doses. This is because Provera mimics the rise in progesterone at ovulation. The reason they give you 10 days it that it mimics a natural luteal phase.

Normally, when you ovulate, the corpus luteum (the thing the egg comes out of on the ovary) begins producing progesterone. If the egg does not get fertilized and implant, the corpus luteum dies after 10-16 days and progesterone levels drop. The drop in progesterone is what causes you to start your period.

So the way Provera is supposed to work is that you take it for ten days and your body thinks you ovulated. Once you stop taking the Provera , your body thinks that fertilization did not happen and that the corput luteum is dead. So the DROP in progesterone is what causes your period to start.

The Provera doesn't always work for everyone on the first go. Most docs/midwives start you on a 10mg dose. If this isn't enough to trick your body into thinking you ovulated you'll be upped to a 20mg dose for ten days.

The reason that they say you could start your period while taking Provera is because you could have already ovulated (delayed/late ovulation) and you're about to start your period anyway. If you have already ovulated (but just don't know it) the Provera increases the level of progesterone in your body. When your corpus luteum dies your progesterone levels will drop enough that it may still trigger your period, even if you are on the Provera.

Even if you see bleeding during the Provera course, you should still continue the Provera for the full ten days just in case the bleeding is break-through bleeding and not actually a period. (In loooong cycles, break through bleeding can be heavy enough that it appears to be a light period.)
Thank you for explaining it! I wish my doctor would have explained it that way. She said it was actually common to start during the Provera 10 days. Well now I know to wait and see, although I wish it would start soon so I can start my Clomid. This will be my first cycle since May.

I know how you feel! I had to have Provera to start this cycle, too. My first cycle since March! (I took some supplements that are supposed to help with TTC, but they screwed my hormones up really bad and I had 4 months with no period. :dohh: ) I'm doing soy this cycle. Today was CD8, so yesterday was my last day of soy. (I did CD3-7.) If I don't O by the 20th or so of August I'm doing another round of Provera and then starting Clomid.

Don't worry. You'll make it through the Provera (though it seems like FOREVER while you wait for AF). I started AF 2 days after I finished the Provera. So it was real quick. And you're right, they really should explain it better. They told me the same thing they told you and I was so confused! GL! :flower:

I've just been diagnosed with PCOS too.

I finished my last of my Provera 12 days yesterday. When I was on Microgynon it was 3 days before I would get AF, so was thinking it might be the same? Will let you know since I am a few days ahead.

I didn't get my period until the 3rd round of Provera, and on that round it came about 6 days after the last pill. After that first bleed, I didn't need Provera for my second bleed so hopefully I just needed that kick start and won't need it anymore. I'm on CD12 of my 2nd round of Clomid, and the side effects aren't awful. I take my pill between noon & 2, which causes the side effects to happen more into the evening for me, which works well! Best of luck ladies!

I didn't get my period until the 3rd round of Provera, and on that round it came about 6 days after the last pill. After that first bleed, I didn't need Provera for my second bleed so hopefully I just needed that kick start and won't need it anymore. I'm on CD12 of my 2nd round of Clomid, and the side effects aren't awful. I take my pill between noon & 2, which causes the side effects to happen more into the evening for me, which works well! Best of luck ladies!

Ill have to remember that when I start my Clomid round. So you didnt experience any of the horrible hot flashes and mood swings Ive read so much about? I heard they are pretty intense but only for a few days... even if I do get it, it will totally be worth it if I O and get my BFP this month!:thumbup:

The hot flashes are bad, but I get them in my sleep, so I only wake up once or twice a night drenched in sweat. But I figure better that than when I'm at work and have them throughout the day. I've heard if you take a sleeping pill at night, you can sleep right through them, but I haven't tried that. I was alot more emotional too, but like you said, it is all worth it if it helps us ovulate and brings a BFP one of these rounds!!

I took provera for 5 days and it took me a week to start after taking my last pill.

Well day 1 off Provera and no AF, but mild cramping on and off all day... my lack of patience will be the death of me! 8-[

Just took my last pill today. I'm also very impatient! Hurry up AF!

So I got AF pretty much 48 hours after last pill. Slightly quicker than BCP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->