Question - Anyone Who Has Had An Epidural

Louisa K

Reaction score
Does it hurt?

Im still in two minds whether or not to have this as an option if the pain gets to much..

The thing that scares me is the actual 'going in bit' and whether or not it hurts..

It looks painful. Is it?

I had epidurals in both my births and I must say that compared to the labor, the epi was nothing ;)

haha really, thats good to know (i think!!) lol

We all handle it differently and every birth is different. I'd at least have the possibility open, I know I will with my third even though I'm all into natural births, hypnobirthing etc etc ..

I think your right, it's better that I don't totally rule it out and just see how I feel.. :)

I had an epi with all my babes (3) and will be doing with this one.

They numb the area before inserting the needle, so it does'nt hurt that much, it is just uncomfortable as you have to lean right forward so they can see your spine clearly.

Yeah I'd agree with that too. I was more bothered about DH who has a total needle phobia and was cringing in the corner looking faint. LMAO!

My IV hurt worse.

the only thing you feel is a few numbing shots and then some pressure.

During the contractions of labour, you really don't feel the epidural. It was nothing in comparison.

However, I had one for my planned C-section with my son. It didn't hurt but you could feel pressure when the needle was inserted.

Does it hurt?

Im still in two minds whether or not to have this as an option if the pain gets to much..

The thing that scares me is the actual 'going in bit' and whether or not it hurts..

It looks painful. Is it?

I wanted to ask the same question!

I have to have an epidural to have my cervical stitch removed before they induce me in 8 weeks time and i was really nervous about it.

Is it true that you can have a mobile epidural so you can move around more. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have heard about a mobile epidural but I dont know much about it. I was considering that too. I dont like the thought of my legs being numb, I think Ill panic.

xxx

My OH doesn't want to be in the room if I have it *rolls eyes* He practically passes out every time I have blood taken as it is.

I have a feeling Ill be doing this on my own! lol

xxx

I've heard epi's don't work for a lot of people so that's what I'm more worried about! I'm not scared of needles at all but I'm panicking incase the pain really gets too much I feel I have to have one and then it not working properly and still being in pain! Most people I've asked have said it was a god send and they didn't feel anything, the only bad thing is losing all feeling in your legs. Is a mobile epidural not as effective as a normal epi for pain relief then if you're still able to have the feeling in your lower half?

Yeh I asked this question too.

That's the part that freaks me out as well. The actual inserting of the needle. Media have made it out to be this horribly agonising thing. "15 minutes of agonizing pain" etc.
I'm definately considering one. I'll see how the labour goes.

I was also worried about getting the epidural, and I was worried about getting a catheder and IV put in (if you get an epidural you need to have both of these as well), but I mentioned to the nurse I really didn't like needles and they used some numbing cream on my skin before they put the needles in so I didn't feel it. And any discomfort I had getting the needles/catheder was very mild in comparison to the pain of contractions, and I felt instant relief from the epidural. I plan on getting the epi again.

2 of my friends had them and said there was no pain. one said it was mildly uncomfy for a second but then nothing. Justa feeling of coldness then numb.
I think the horror stories are them not working are awful and the media love something dramatic - plenty DO work. I wouldnt worry about this.

It didnt hurt having it put in. The only thing I didnt like was how it seemed to slow my contractions down and that I couldnt walk about for.

My advice is dont rule anything out - see how it goes.

x

Well i have decided not to have one...purely because i have a bad back as it is and i dont like the idea of having a needle put in my spine...the thought makes my belly turn!!! Ive told my mum, even if i scream for one, not to alolow it...the way i see it is even if i really am in so much pain and think i cant take it, i will get through it.

I will have gas n air and i also plan for a water birth....

I say all this now though and my birth story will be bed and epidural!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->