questions about basal temps.

youngmommy26

Mom of 1 TTC#2
Reaction score
ok so AF is getting ready to show her face in about 3 days. If I don't get my BFP then I will be trying again in January. It will be the first time I have ever tried tracking my basal temp. Just bought a basal thermometer. I was trying to read up on it, and I am a little confused. So I take my temperature every morning when I wake up at the same time everyday? what happens if I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom? or what if I toss and turn a lot that night and keep waking up? I have nights like that sometimes. Also my temp will stay at a steady temp until ovulation happens then after ovulation my temp will spike up? so that lets me know I ovulated? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just really confused by it. Also where is the best place to stick the thermometer? in my mouth or vagina?

Same time every day Hun with at least 3 hours sleeps straight

Same time every day Hun with at least 3 hours sleeps straight

my temps will be steady up until after ovulation then my temp will spike a little bit? or does my temp go lower then spike after ovulation? I am so confused! :laugh2:

It's supposed to dip around ov then elevate after x

also, the thermometer is it accurant in the mouth? or more accurate in the vagina?

If say orally but it's a personal preference I think

If say orally but it's a personal preference I think

oh ok, well that makes sense, I don't know, it would seem to me it would be a lot warmer down there and give inaccurate readings. But I could be wrong.

Personally, I take my temperature as soon as I wake up, regardless of the time. I know its more accurate to take it at the same time everyday, but I toss and turn a lot in the mornings, from about 5AM to 8AM, so that doesn't work for me.
Regardless of the time (as long as I know I won't be getting 3 more solid hours of sleep), I take my temp as soon as my eyes open. For example, if I get up to go to the bathroom at 5AM, then temp at 7, my temp is higher than it would have been otherwise...does that make sense? Again, its just a personal preference.

As for orally or vaginally, I prefer orally, I don't like the idea of waking up to the feeling of a thermometer in my vagina...but the way I understand it, vaginally is the most accurate way to temp because it isn't affected by outside factors, like the temp of the bedroom..

As for what to watch for temp wise, everyone is different. I see a lot of charts that dip a little bit, then have a very obvious spike the next day to show ovulation. Mine does dip slightly, but it rises a little over the course of the next few days, versus showing a large spike all at once. Others don't have a dip at all before, but will rise after.

It might take a couple cycles to figure your body out and what works best for you, but don't stress about it, you'll figure it out. I've only been temping for 2 months myself, but after the first cycle, everything made a lot more sense to me.

Good luck and lots of baby dust to you!

Personally, I take my temperature as soon as I wake up, regardless of the time. I know its more accurate to take it at the same time everyday, but I toss and turn a lot in the mornings, from about 5AM to 8AM, so that doesn't work for me.
Regardless of the time (as long as I know I won't be getting 3 more solid hours of sleep), I take my temp as soon as my eyes open. For example, if I get up to go to the bathroom at 5AM, then temp at 7, my temp is higher than it would have been otherwise...does that make sense? Again, its just a personal preference.

As for orally or vaginally, I prefer orally, I don't like the idea of waking up to the feeling of a thermometer in my vagina...but the way I understand it, vaginally is the most accurate way to temp because it isn't affected by outside factors, like the temp of the bedroom..

As for what to watch for temp wise, everyone is different. I see a lot of charts that dip a little bit, then have a very obvious spike the next day to show ovulation. Mine does dip slightly, but it rises a little over the course of the next few days, versus showing a large spike all at once. Others don't have a dip at all before, but will rise after.

It might take a couple cycles to figure your body out and what works best for you, but don't stress about it, you'll figure it out. I've only been temping for 2 months myself, but after the first cycle, everything made a lot more sense to me.

Good luck and lots of baby dust to you!

ahh thanks so much, I understand now. it's making much more sense. yeah it's probably going to take me a couple months to recognize my body. It took me a couple months to learn about my cycle with OPK's. I was having such a hard time with them, never knowing if the line was going to get darker, or if it was dark enough, and blah blah blah..:laugh2: I have been learning that everything is trial and error. Not many get it perfect the first time. Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->