Questions about pre-labor...

countryrider

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what effaced and engaged means when you get checked?

I also think that my LO has dropped as I woddle a LOT more, have back aches, and I can actually breath now (lungs no longer squashed!) Tonight I was sitting in the recliner and there was a lot of pressure down there along with lightning bolt pains to my whoo-ha. So I went to the bathroom, curious to see if I could feel my cervix (which I could touch but couldn't tell much from it) and pushing against the back "wall" I could feel the baby's head. Does that mean anything? Could I have felt the head even if she hasn't dropped?

As far as the back pain, I thought it's just cause we're coping with carrying an extra load in front, but then read elsewhere that it can be caused by baby dropping and putting pressure on it, or LO being back to back. So I'm confused on that as well.

I know, plenty of questions!! Thanks for your time in reading this

engaged means your baby is head down in your pelvis ready to come (far as the head can go before labour starts-i beleve)

effaced is how soft your cervix is...... is its 0% effaced it is still hard and baby wont come if its 100%effaced it is really soft and ready for baby to come, it needs to be soft for baby to come easily.

and it sounds like baby has dropped too. i dont think youd feel babys head if she hasnt dropped or wasnt so much effaced.xx

Effacement means when your cervix shortens and thins out preparing for labour.

https://electiveinduction.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dilationandeffacement4.gif

Engaged means how far down your baby's head, measured in 5ths palpable or 5ths engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->