Questions on epidurals

Carley

Mama to one and pregnant
Reaction score
What does it feel like to have an epidural? In my head they look painful.

Whens the best time to have an epidural? I'm scared to get it too early and the be too late for it.

What was your experience for having an epidural?

Any other advice on getting an epidural?

:hug:

OMG great question Id like to know these questions to!!! Thats the only thing im really terrified of is getting an epidural it just seems scary having a long needle inserted into your spine!! :(

Oh I know but i really want one cause i dont want to deal with the pain

i have no experience but from what I have seen on tv and stuff... women say they dont hurt as much as the contractions it self!!

My mag says.... you need to be at least 3cm dilated, but its thought to be most useful when your 5cm-6cm! After this you might not be able to sit still for it to be administered!

Mobile epidurals cant be given within 3 hours of pethidine, as they contain a painkiller!!

Dont know what its like where you are but it seems in the UK... particularly northampton unless absolutely necessary they wont give you an epidural!! A few people I know have been told "no-one on site to administer it"!!! Which is a load of crap cos if you needed an emergency c-section they would be screwed!!

I personally dont want one.... the idea of not feeling anything is great!! But remember you need to then be told when to push etc!! You cant listen to your own body!! Also my mum had 2 epidurals with me and my sister and she hated the fact she couldnt be mobile once baby was here!! Baby was left in the cot and would start crying... she had to buzz the mw in to pass her her baby!! :(

Oh wow id hate to live in the UK so what do they do if you have to have a c-section?? Oh and carley did you have a natural birth?

they use an epidural or a spinal.... but it was I was meaning was that they lie to the woman in labour!! Saying its not available yet there really is if something went wrong!!!

WOW!!! Those people SUCK! lol And i wanted to visit the UK nevermind on that!

Before you get carried away Sammie...lets not call names...whether it be personal or countries...
Remember you can opt for an epi if you want to, just remember to get information off people who have actually had them. :lol:
Its a personal choice so if you want to go ahead and have one that is your right, and just remember that different countries have different laws etc...I know that alot of Drs and or MW like you to try natral births, but if you want an epi, then you just ask for it and make sure you write it in your birth plan and or talk to your MW or Dr about when to have one!
I had an epi and it was great! Trust me you never even remember what it was like at the time seeings as your going through labour and that has your mind completely focused on that! Just remember that if in dooubt ask your MW or Dr...they will know what is best for you personally. Some people are allergic to the drug...so they cant use it...
REMEMBER if you have real concerns about anything....Talk to a professional...as much as we can give advice we are not medical professionals (well, the majority of us :lol: ).
Its always best to be sure by asking...they honestly dont mind... :winkwink:
Good luck hun, and hope things go well for you! :hug: Just remember that labours dont always go to plan! So be ready for the unexpected! :winkwink:

Uuu,this is interesting Carley.Thanks!

I don't know about UK,but here in US it is almost a given that you will receive an epi for some reson.
The doctor decides the time.

The only thing that scares me about it is that les than 1% chance that something will go majorly south and I'll end up paralized or something.I usually don't like playing with my spine...:neutral:

Doesn't an epidural slow down labour? I'm guessing that if you can't feel anything, would it make pushing etc awkward?

Oh wow id hate to live in the UK so what do they do if you have to have a c-section?? Oh and carley did you have a natural birth?

I live in Australia and my birth with Scarlett was natural...the pain of labour scares me. :cry:

ok i was very agaisnt epis until i was in labour and had been for 24 hours plus. gas and air wasnt working and i was about 5cm dialted. i asked for epi which didnt hurt at all it just felt cold going in.
my epi didnt slow my labour down it actually helped me relax and i went from 5cm to 10cm in less then a hour.
i still knew when to push as i could feel bump tightening and pressure in my bum so knew when to push.
i ended with with emergency c section not sue to epi but other factors and was glad i had epi as my c section happened a lot quicker x

ok i was very agaisnt epis until i was in labour and had been for 24 hours plus.

24 HOURS!!!!:shock:

I really don't want to have an epi but I don't think I could cope with 24+ hours of labour and nothing coming out. I really want to try all the natural methods first, but my pain threshold isn't very high so I don't know what I'm gonna do!:hissy:

What does it feel like to have an epidural? In my head they look painful.

Whens the best time to have an epidural? I'm scared to get it too early and the be too late for it.

What was your experience for having an epidural?

Any other advice on getting an epidural?

:hug:

When i went to the antenatal classes etc i was dead against the epidural. But when i was in labour (i had pre eclampsia) and it was the best thing to fetch my BP down. It was heaven!! After all the pain of the contractions...thrashing around on the bed it made the birth fantastic & enjoyable.

My story...
I was 4cm at 4.30pm. Had gas & air till 6.30pm, then the MW suggested i should have the epi cos my BP was very high & i was at risk of a emergancy section. I went ahead. They put the catheter in my hand (which i was petrified...but i concentrated on that pain!! Made the contractions abit more bearable)
Then the worse part of the epi is trying to bend you back while having a contraction while they are getting the epi in. I didnt feel it going in at all. They also took 6 attempts getting in my back!
Finally got it in..then y0u have to lay on your side..then switch over to your other side so it spreads evenly. They then spray your legs with cold spray.
WELL... it didnt work!! I was still in pain. So at 7.30pm they gave me pethidine which knocked me out.
They then gave me something to fetch me back round at 8pm and the pain had gone!! They had put stronger stuff in the epi. And it worked!!

At 8.30pm my waters went & i was 10cm ready to push. So i had to wait a hour for her to move down on her own. It was nice getting excited knowing we would be holding our LO very soon..then it took me just over a hour to push. It was lovely...i was watching her head through a mirror... So calm & relaxed. MW told me when to push.
NO stiches/tears.

Only thing is for a few days after your back really hurts. So bruised & you cant sit back. It dont really matter bout not feeling your legs cos you tend to have a sleep when the births over with & by the time you wake up you can feel them again (plus the after pains!!)

I would def have another one again!

i was all for natural methods but i was knackered towards the end and i have to admit it really helped i think i dialted quicker as i was relaxed x

Doesn't an epidural slow down labour? I'm guessing that if you can't feel anything, would it make pushing etc awkward?

It can do. But they can put you on a drip to keep the contractions coming. The MW told me when to push plus i could feel the contractions (tightning no pain). They usually give you a hour after your 10cm and turn the epi off so its starting to wear off.

Then the worse part of the epi is trying to bend you back while having a contraction while they are getting the epi in. I didnt feel it going in at all. They also took 6 attempts getting in my back!
I would def have another one again!

i was curled on my side with my DH pushing my head down and my mum pulling my legs up as i couldntmove with the pain. i told the anethatist he was a pal for life as it is amazing stuff x

It can do. But they can put you on a drip to keep the contractions coming. The MW told me when to push plus i could feel the contractions (tightning no pain). They usually give you a hour after your 10cm and turn the epi off so its starting to wear off.

I'm scared.:-( I've already had my fair share of needles and drips and I'm only 13 weeks!!!

u dont see this one at all
x
i was puffing on gas and air when the put mine in (which made me sick)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->