Questions on epidurals

lol, even 8hours is a long time to be in pain and exhausted...

I am going to see how the pain goes. If its not too bad, then maybe I wont have an epi. But if it is too bad then I will get one.

The health care system when I am is pretty good, most of the doctors respect your wishes unless you or the baby is in dire need, then they will do what is going to save the babies life. I have not heard of people here being forced to have c-sections unecessarily.

No they most certainly do not do elective C-sections because you want one and are afraid of natural birth. They do it because of necessity.

However, Canada's advert is free health care! HAHAHA You pay a premium every month....so they cannot say it's free!

And you get what you paid for. I've heard of the awful healthcare in this country. Go to the emergency ward and wait for hours on end just to get seen.

Oh, I can go on and on about the stories I've heard.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I intend to push twice, sigh delicately, deliver a perfectly clean, dressed-and-ready-to-go baby, then order a martini. I doubt I will even break a sweat. Epidural? Not for today's modern woman! :)
Change that to a Bacardi & I'm doing what your doing ;)

No they most certainly do not do elective C-sections because you want one and are afraid of natural birth. They do it because of necessity.

Here in the UK, if a woman is diagnosed as having tokophobia, or an unnatural fear of birth she may be allowed to have an elective c-section to preserve her mental health.

I am going to see how the pain goes. If its not too bad, then maybe I wont have an epi. But if it is too bad then I will get one.

The health care system when I am is pretty good, most of the doctors respect your wishes unless you or the baby is in dire need, then they will do what is going to save the babies life. I have not heard of people here being forced to have c-sections unecessarily.

However, Canada's advert is free health care! HAHAHA You pay a premium every month....so they cannot say it's free!

And you get what you paid for. I've heard of the awful healthcare in this country. Go to the emergency ward and wait for hours on end just to get seen.

I don't think health care is called free - I think it's more that everyone is guaranteed access, regardless of ability to pay. If you paid the actual cost of health care, you'd be thinking those premiums were a pretty good deal. I agree that there are a lot of problems with the system - and I think we've heard enough stories about the NHS to know that Canada isn't the only one struggling with this issue.
I think health care has a long way to go everywhere. My husband is a paramedic and sure has stories, but the problem isn't just lack of funding and resources - there are way too many people who abuse the system and clog it right up.
I think socialized health care has a long way to go, but that it is a work in progress. I'm not ready to abandon it!

We may pay a preium, but id rather pay the premium and be able to get x-rays and MRI's, cat-scans etc for free then have to pay thousands for all the tests etc someone goes through during life.

Also working on the hospital end of things... I can understand and appreciate the long waits in ER... One reason is lack of doctors and walk-in clinics,

The other reason that people dont understand about the wait in ER is that they have serious eergencies come in regularly, serious meaning people coding (ie dieing) which takes nearly all of the emergency staff to respond to.

Plus other serious related traumas related to accidents and things. PLUS if there is a code in another area of the hospital, certain people in the ER have to leave and respond to it as there are set teams of people who are trained to use the defib and do intubations etc.

I dont even live in a huge city.

But lets face it, someone comes into the ER with a cold or whatever, no they wont be getting in as quick. People are taken in on priority to their condition.

Everything is done for a reason, and when your the one laying on the table coding, im sure you would be thankful that the person with the cold is sitting in the waiting room for an hour while you are having your life saved.

There are bad stories about everywhere, nothing is perfect.

The other reason that people dont understand about the wait in ER is that they have serious eergencies come in regularly, serious meaning people coding (ie dieing) which takes nearly all of the emergency staff to respond to.

Ditto this. I've been on both ends. Waiting up to two hours to be seen for a broken foot, and being seen immediately by eight doctors when I was in a very bad way and brought in by ambulance. Quite simply, if you wait hours then yes it is frustrating but there are people who are more needy than you who require treatment.

I think I'll play the epidural thing by ear... if the contractions are just awful and I can't take it, I'll ask for one. It would be kind of nice to do the amazon thing and go natural, but I'll see when the time comes.

Hmm, it's one thing to think, "Oh, my baby is almost a foot long!" and then to think, "Oh, something at least a foot long is going to have to exit my vagina".

I've heard of people getting c-sections here because they have an un-natural fear of pushing a baby out, but I think they needed to be evaluated by a psychatrist first in order to prove it was a valid fear.

I must say though, that when I went to the hospital yesterday I was in there for all of 5 seconds before I was bombarded by nurses and residents, so it was pretty good. But my baby had a low heart rate too and I was at some messed up stage of being mildly delirious from being dehydrated, so I suppose that was considered serious enough.

I think I'll play the epidural thing by ear... if the contractions are just awful and I can't take it, I'll ask for one. It would be kind of nice to do the amazon thing and go natural, but I'll see when the time comes.

Hmm, it's one thing to think, "Oh, my baby is almost a foot long!" and then to think, "Oh, something at least a foot long is going to have to exit my vagina".

I can handle the foot long part, it's the width that i'm worried about!

You should realise by now that threads get moulded all the time...

The epidural is the best thing in the world! I remember being in so much pain from the contractions that I wasn't worried about the long needle going into my back. Once it was in though the epidural kicked in and I was floating on air! I was actually able to sleep throughout the rest of my labor until I was fully dilated! I even texted all of my friends telling them that I was in labor and how great the epidural was!

I think that the choice is really up to each individual..but man, I personally would never want to go through all the pain of natural childbirth!

im still not sure about epidural or not

i think realistically i will end up having one as i think i have a high pain threshold but im sure that will change when ive been in labour for god knows how long haha

the only reason i am unsure is because my mam still has back pain from having an epidural when she had me 24 years ago, possibly not related but most likely it is

if i did have one i would prefer the one where you can still move your legs as i dont want to be pretty much strapped to the bed as i have heard that can make your labour last ages longer

Haha let me tell you honey, by the time you're in labour and want the epidural your fears will completely disappear! I was scared until I was in active labour, an epidural is NOTHING compared to birth!

And in all honesty, it doesn't really hurt at all. It completely depends on how well the person who is doing it is. Normally they shouldn't hurt.
EDIT* I'm also warning you now - if you get the epidural where you don't feel ANYTHING (can't move your legs, etc.), it makes you very very shaky for hours afterward it will probably be difficult to walk, and you can't hold in farts.:blush: They will fly out like crazy. You may also pee yourself if they don't put in the tube to drain your bladder! Mind you, the pain will completely disappear.

ok i was very agaisnt epis until i was in labour and had been for 24 hours plus.

24 HOURS!!!!:shock:

I really don't want to have an epi but I don't think I could cope with 24+ hours of labour and nothing coming out. I really want to try all the natural methods first, but my pain threshold isn't very high so I don't know what I'm gonna do!:hissy:

24 hours really isn't that long. I think if I'm only in labour for 24 hours I'll be happy. My friend was in labour for 31 hours with her first baby and 41 hours with her second. I've heard other people say they were in there for over 36 hours.

You would think at that point they would do a c-section or something if things obviously are progressing that slowly, but nope. No such thing as an elective c-section here!

And I would kill for the tummy tuck.

24 hrs is a WHOLE DAY!!!!!!!:cry: OMG!!!!

I know people who have gone for longer though. But the women in my immediate family have managed to just pop 'em out in 8 hours or less - it's like there's a race to see who can get their baby out the fastest!

I was in hard labour for 33 hours, worst pain in the WORLD! But then again there's a young woman I know who was only in labour for 6 hours (first baby too).

Haha let me tell you honey, by the time you're in labour and want the epidural your fears will completely disappear! I was scared until I was in active labour, an epidural is NOTHING compared to birth!

And in all honesty, it doesn't really hurt at all. It completely depends on how well the person who is doing it is. Normally they shouldn't hurt.
EDIT* I'm also warning you now - if you get the epidural where you don't feel ANYTHING (can't move your legs, etc.), it makes you very very shaky for hours afterward it will probably be difficult to walk, and you can't hold in farts.:blush: They will fly out like crazy. You may also pee yourself if they don't put in the tube to drain your bladder! Mind you, the pain will completely disappear.

Even in active labour I was really scared of the epidural :(

lol, I cant hold in my farts as it is :D

Lol, me too Rae! Never had such potent farts since being pregnant!

And I'm glad it's not only me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->