Quitting Smoking :((

MissMara

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I got my very first BPF on new years day, and the biggest obstacle in my way right now is SMOKING!!! I have been trying to quit before I had even found out I was pregnant, but I have smoked for almost 10 years and I am finding it really hard to kick the habit.

I successfully cut down to begin with, but now that I have found out I have precious cargo on board, the pressure is on.. I am NOT buying any more packets, but my family and my partner smoke so its really hard to escape them if I am not alone. :blush:

I am proud of myself for cutting out most of the smokes, but still cant help but feel the urge.. I feel so terrible!!!!

Is there anyone else out there who is in the same position, or maybe can offer some advice on therapy or things to try? I am literally willing to do anything!!! Cold turkey just doesn't seem to be an option for me anymore :nope: :cry:

Well done for cutting down! Have you tried any of the patches? Nicotine gum etc? Not sure if you're from the UK or not but they help a lot with stopping smoking and even support groups etc x

Hi hun I know what you mean I'm an ex smoker I've smoked nearly 20 fags a day been smoking for 10 years I used to smoke 10 at first then started to smoke more over the years, I know it's really really hard I made a promise to my partner the day I get the BFP is the day I'll stop them all together and I have done since December 18th 2014 I know it's not the longest but I did it Hun just on mints and chewing gum etc as I know the patches etc ain't good for us pregnant ladies, it hasn't been easy bothmy brother, sister, mother, mother in law and all my friends smoke and when I'm around them I just want to grab their fag from their hand and smoke it but I just know I've got to try my hardest to do this cold turkey don't get me wrong over stressed times (ie when I was spotting I did have a few drags on my friends fag as the nerves just got the better of me) I really wish you all the best Hun I'd stock up on mints etc and try and keep yourself occupied, good luck xx

It's been 2 weeks & 3 days and I still have the urge and crave so much for it, I just suck on a mint lol, the craving lasts no longer than 3 mins then goes again, I found it better when I was stood outside the back door with a cup of tea (my usual smoking spot) and just breathe the fresh air in, that helps me, I know it is really hard and it must be even harder when your partner smokes too, you've done real well to cut down just keep trying (I know easier said then done) but you will eventually stop xx

Qutting is definitely hard but it can be done! I'm coming up on my one year anniversary since I quit myself. For me, I have such an all or nothing personality that I had to quit cold turkey. We were planning on TTC so I finished the pack I was on and never picked up a cigarette again. There are days where I will still have the random craving or even a dream about smoking LOL but it is honestly the best thing I have ever done. You will notice how much better you feel almost right away. You can do it, hun!

I don't have advice-- I just want to say congrats for taking a step in the right direction! Very proud of you x

I started using an E-cig and within a few weeks I was able to kick the habit. 13 months smoke free now :) Keep reminding yourself of your little one. Chew gum! You can do it!

I poas thanksgiving. Thought maybe + wasn't sure very faint. Finished the night out smoking the last of my cigs. I've smoked for 20-22 years. (I'm old and started young), but woke up next day with for sure + and stopped. For a week or so I did do an e-cig to wean. However it scared me and thought what Id it's worse than cigs. Crucial cell splitting time. So I quit. Cold turkey. I'm also all or nothing. Good luck.

I quit cold turkey as soon as I found out I was pregnant several months ago. I have found the cravings manageable, and my partner still smokes though he does so exclusively outside. The one thing that has helped me abstain from cigarettes completely is the fact that I am a very visual person. All I have to do is imagine my baby, and then imagine forcing my baby to smoke a cigarette... the idea horrifies me so much I couldn't possibly smoke. To me smoking while pregnant is the same thing as forcing a baby to smoke. So essentially I am reminding myself that my body is not exclusively my own right now because it is keeping someone else alive, so I have to act with the best interest of my tenant in mind.

I crave cigarettes the most while I am asleep, which results in dreams about smoking then I remember I am pregnant and the guilt I feel about it in the dream is so strong it makes it impossible for me to contemplate smoking in reality even with them around all the time.

I wish you the best of luck, stay strong and find the tactic that works for you and you will undoubtedly impress yourself. :thumbup:

I'll be in the same boat trying to quit this week since I got my bfp yesterday. I cut back when I found out I was pregnant in august but started back up again after my mc. Stay strong and remember you aren't just doing it for your health you are doing it for the baby's too

I understand exactly what your going through.
I have smoked for over 6 years now and my whole family smokes as well- I managed to stay away from them when they go outside. LOL.
I cut down from a half a pack-pack a day to allowing myself a certain amount of cigarettes each day until I eventually just stopped all together. Not only was the smell and the taste different to me and making me nauseous, but knowing a little one is growing inside of me helped me a bunch with my cravings! It's been 2 weeks for me so far!

Good luck to you! I know its sooo hard, but in the end it will be so worth it :)

Before I got pregnant with my first I was a smoker and when I got my bfp I found it hard to quit but once morning sickness kicked in the slightest smell of smoke had me gagging so I went cold turkey.

It is hard the first few weeks especially when others around you smoke but once you get further on you will wonder why you ever smoked in the first place. Or at least I did lol. x

Hi everyone!!

I got my very first BPF on new years day, and the biggest obstacle in my way right now is SMOKING!!! I have been trying to quit before I had even found out I was pregnant, but I have smoked for almost 10 years and I am finding it really hard to kick the habit.

I successfully cut down to begin with, but now that I have found out I have precious cargo on board, the pressure is on.. I am NOT buying any more packets, but my family and my partner smoke so its really hard to escape them if I am not alone. :blush:

I am proud of myself for cutting out most of the smokes, but still cant help but feel the urge.. I feel so terrible!!!!

Is there anyone else out there who is in the same position, or maybe can offer some advice on therapy or things to try? I am literally willing to do anything!!! Cold turkey just doesn't seem to be an option for me anymore :nope: :cry:

I stopped smoking last pregnancy and ended up miscarrying so I am carrying on smoking with this one x

Hi everyone!!

I stopped smoking last pregnancy and ended up miscarrying so I am carrying on smoking with this one x

Sorry, how does that make sense? Why would you not try and cut down or quit this time just because you miscarried last time?

Wow!!

You guys are all so inspirational, thank you for your advice and kind words!

Today I have not had ONE smoke!! :)

Feeling antsy but being visual and just reminding myself of all the reasons why I am quitting. Its easy to shake off so I feel like I am on my way! :)

Its not hard at work, I can keep myself occupied, when I am at home the other hand it will be HARD!

Thanks Ladies!!!

xoxoxoxox

Hi everyone!!

Well that's a really strange thing to say! I miscarried a couple of months ago. Maybe I'll take up smoking...

Hi everyone!!

Sorry, how does that make sense? Why would you not try and cut down or quit this time just because you miscarried last time?

Because it was a cause of my miscarriage.

Hi everyone!!

How? Most doctors agree that stress doesn't cause miscarriages. Most early miscarriages are caused by fetal abnormalities.
It's the fact you obviously can quit because you did last time but won't that is strange to me. Smoking can cause a wide range of problems in pregnancy including miscarriage so that's one for your argument.

Hi everyone!!

How? Most doctors agree that stress doesn't cause miscarriages. Most early miscarriages are caused by fetal abnormalities.
It's the fact you obviously can quit because you did last time but won't that is strange to me. Smoking can cause a wide range of problems in pregnancy including miscarriage so that's one for your argument.

Are you calling my midwife a liar lol? I quit as soon as I found out which caused my mc 5 weeks later. Was nothing to do with stress on myself IT was to do with dependancy as he was used to the nicotine intake.

My god people on this site are so rude. I think I would rather believe a fully qualified midwife with statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->