Quitting Smoking :((

While I do agree that that was probably a bit harsh..

You are knowingly increasing the risk of your child being born with something. Like you said, there of course is a chance that a child could be born to a non-smoker and have a condition, however I wouldn't feel guilty about it because I wasn't doing anything to cause it (like smoking.) I couldn't live with myself knowing I caused my child to be born with something - asthma, cancer, whatever!

If a cause of a loss you had was down to quitting smoking cold turkey - would you stop altogether?

To me, it's a risk I will not take again. And this pregnancy is all fine and well at the moment.

My son, and unknown however I wasn't so lucky with.

However I don't deserve to be told I should just give my child cancer when born. I have reported her to babyandbump.

My Midwife & DR are happy with the 5 a day. If they are happy, I'm happy.

I'm more concerned about my line of work and risk through that than smoking. The people I work with are more dangerous than a cigarette by all means.

And how do you know you wouldn't of caused It though? There's all sorts of things you shouldn't / should do in pregnancy. Don't eat red meat, don't eat this don't do that. Something along them lines could cause anything (so they say!)

I'm greatful for a healthy pregnancy and that is all x

If a cause of a loss you had was down to quitting smoking cold turkey - would you stop altogether?

To me, it's a risk I will not take again. And this pregnancy is all fine and well at the moment.

However I don't deserve to be told I should just give my child cancer when born. I have reported her to babyandbump.

I'm more concerned about my line of work and risk through that than smoking. The people I work with are more dangerous than a cigarette by all means.

And how do you know you wouldn't of caused It though? There's all sorts of things you shouldn't / should do in pregnancy. Don't eat red meat, don't eat this don't do that. Something along them lines could cause anything (so they say!)

I'm happy you reported her. This forum is for support. No one needs to wish cancer on someone, regardless if they smoke or not. I commend you for only smoking 5 cigarettes a day. A lot of people in my family smoke, smoked through their whole pregnancy not cutting back at all. Luckily their children are healthy. I hope you're able to slowly cut back more! Happy 9 months dear!

To be honest, I just wouldn't smoke to begin with :shrug:

I'm glad your pregnancy is healthy, and I only hope that your child is when he or she is born.

She is disgusting. Lost for words. I would not dare say that to anybody .. Even if they were pregnant when drug addicts! Lost for words completely.

I quit for a year then settled on 5 a day. Sometimes I'll only have one when ive really bad nausea.

I'd also like to point out.. My grandma has cancer and she's never smoked a cigarette and doesn't touch alcohol .. So.. No comment lol

Thanks for your support mel28nicole .. Nice to see friendly members on here :) x

I'm sure he/she will be thank you buffy :) I don't doubt that for a second 💗 x

I really think you would benefit from seeing a different midwife one who isn't deluding you with the idea that quitting smoking caused you to miscarry and I am more than happy to say she's a liar, I can't see why she would be 'happy' your smoking 5 a day either she should be referring you, if the baby was dependent on your smoke then how come every day there are babies born who's mothers have smoked the whole way through and they aren't needing to be pumped with nicotine, im not having a go for you smoking each to their own and all that, I just don't understand how you could listen to this woman's bull and actually believe it if my midwife tried filling me with that rubbish I'd be questioning her abilities as a midwife and I certainly wouldnt be going to her for advise throughout my pregnancy I'd be demanding a midwife who actually knows what shes doing/saying

I wouldn't question anyone's abilities who's been through years of university to get where they are today.

Believe it or not people do lose children to quitting smoking. And some don't.

Same as some are born healthy and some aren't. What works for some doesn't work for others and I do hope your not naive enough to think otherwise.

I accept your opinion as which your entitled to. However my opinion in return won't change.

No need to refer me to anyone. I will not quit smoking. But thanks for your input and concern.

I wouldn't question anyone's abilities who's been through years of university to get where they are today.

Believe it or not people do lose children to quitting smoking. And some don't.

Same as some are born healthy and some aren't. What works for some doesn't work for others and I do hope your not naive enough to think otherwise.

I accept your opinion as which your entitled to. However my opinion in return won't change.

No need to refer me to anyone. I will not quit smoking. But thanks for your input and concern.

Honestly I'm not trying to have a go I've smoked before so know exactly how hard it is to quit I quit when I fell pregnant with my first my midwife offered to refer me but I declined because I was doing it on my own, I just can't understand why a midwife would tell you that, if you choose to believe her then that's your choice it makes no difference what I think end of the day she's your midwife not mine I just find it really hard to believe sorry I hope this pregnancy ends in a healthy and happy baby

It's not hard to quit at all. I smoked 45 a day maximum and I quit cold turkey and it caused problems.

It is not hard quitting however this time I CHOOSE not too. I think going from 45 to 0 then back to 5 maximum is pretty good.

My baby is perfectly fine, with a super strong heartbeat. Thank you :) x

And believe me I'm no way neive to belive if you go by the rules you get a healthy baby my friend give in smoking when she fell pregnant with her son and he was born at 21 weeks stillborn her friend pregnant at the same time carried on smoking, taking drugs, drinking and gave birth to a very healthy baby, sometimes bad things happen to good people just the way it is unfortunately

I really think you would benefit from seeing a different midwife one who isn't deluding you with the idea that quitting smoking caused you to miscarry and I am more than happy to say she's a liar, I can't see why she would be 'happy' your smoking 5 a day either she should be referring you, if the baby was dependent on your smoke then how come every day there are babies born who's mothers have smoked the whole way through and they aren't needing to be pumped with nicotine, im not having a go for you smoking each to their own and all that, I just don't understand how you could listen to this woman's bull and actually believe it if my midwife tried filling me with that rubbish I'd be questioning her abilities as a midwife and I certainly wouldnt be going to her for advise throughout my pregnancy I'd be demanding a midwife who actually knows what shes doing/saying

I'm sorry hunny but what this lady said is right. I think what people trying to get across to you is that what your midwife has told you is wrong, I mean very very wrong. I happened to mention it to my ob the other day just out of curiosity and his direct response was 'report her'. I'm sorry you have experienced losses, it's heartbreaking, I know how much, but the facts are the chances of them being directly caused by stopping smoking are just just realistically non existent. I hope you will find a new midwife, one that will offer you the care you deserve weather you chose to smoke or not. I'd say at the moment the real risk to your child is her. I'd question the level of care she is giving to you and your baby. Happy healthy 9 months to you!

why are people assuming I have the same midwife? This is not the same pregnancy my 2 children are dead.

This is a new pregnancy with a different midwife.

I also never said it was smoking alone. I did say it was a contributing factor.

Are you saying that you have had more than one midwife tell you that your miscarriage was caused by you quitting smoking?

People are saying to get rid of the midwife that is telling you that it is ok to continue to smoke.

why are people assuming I have the same midwife? This is not the same pregnancy my 2 children are dead.

This is a new pregnancy with a different midwife.

I also never said it was smoking alone. I did say it was a contributing factor.

Where I am they give you the same midwife for every pregnancy, that way your seeing someone who already knows you which is lovely makes it that little bit more special

That doesn't happen where I am, Alex. I guess it's different everywhere!

my second dead child was to do with quitting 45 cigs a day, however there were 2 other factors involved which were beyond my control.

I have a new pregnancy HEALTHY by the way !! And she's happy with me smoking 5 as sometimes I may only have one. And I never go over 5.

Why would I change my midwife? I don't think people are grasping the fact I will not quit. Changing my midwife to one who forces me to quit wont do anything because I still won't.

This is the ONLY healthy baby I have and I will continue how I have done the past year or so.

I will still work in the dangerous surrounding. I will still smoke 5 or less.

Not here sadly. Infact. We're lucky to have one. Super short staffed.

I use private healthcare more than NHS. I'd rather pay for better treatment. X

That doesn't happen where I am, Alex. I guess it's different everywhere!

I'm pleased it's like that here my midwife was absolutely lovely (I even cried WAYYY more than I'm proud of when I realised I'd never see her again) (for a good few days) baby blues are crazy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->