Raising Children In Religion

Every church or religion have a psycho in them (there's always someone who give their religion a bad name). Just hope they don't start a cult!

Agree there, but still insulted that some think its made up. :wacko: There are not so nice people everywhere :cry: Anyway I dont like religion not sure why I am even here just didnt like friends who have suffered being called liars.

I don't think it is made up. In fact, even my religion have lots bad reputations because of what some members did (and we teach it is WRONG too).

Nobody here said victims of abuse made it up!
But your statement earlier about "what Mormons do to their babies" is a prime example of how one person failing to verify what they 'heard' perpetuated rumors that aren't true for that group.

It took me 30 seconds of Googling to see that
1.) yes, it happens
2.). It is not done by the church you heard/ said it was

So... Nobody said somebody was lying.

Dragonfly.... I'm not saying someone made it up. I'm saying you accused the wrong church and completely different group of people.

I also didn't suggest that any victims of abuse made anything up. I said that when something happens to someone it isn't fair even rational to apply what happened to them to an entire group of people because of it.

I missed this comment before sorry. It just looked like that when you said it wasnt true. Anyway interesting convo I do know not everyone in certain religions is capable of things you hear I have friends from different religions like not all christians are like the Pearls or westboro baptists. Now they are just wrong:nope:

Thanks for saying that.
And yes, I agree that it's horrible that it happens, and that no matter what group, religious or otherwise, there are people in them who do awful things. Those who do it in the name of religion tend to be even more dangerous because they are deluded into thinking they are somehow justified in doing it. It makes me sick, and when something is done by someone who IS from the Mormon church, it makes me just as nauseated as when it's someone from another church.

There are just so many good, good people from many of these groups or religions/denominations that it's so sad to see how the entire group of people get trashed/a bad name because they were unlucky enough to have a psycho or a group of sickos come in and claim their name while carrying out these things.

The Catholic church has priests that have abused... many of them. But they also have people who gave their entire lives to service, like Mother Teresa.

So... it comes down to the fact that even if there were no religious separation within us, there would be good people and evil people everywhere we turn.

Maybe look in to mother teresa a bit more to she wasnt such an angel. A lot of missionaries have their side of the story that where there to tell and pictures to. I was on a group on facebook a long time about that and I didnt believe it at first till I looked in to it. She maybe trying to help but done more harm than good in most cases.

Just trying to use an iconic example that people would know, regardless of whether they were Catholic....just utilized her name for the purpose of juxtaposition.

Just basically saying that there are good, good people from all religions, just like there are bad ones. There are good, good people who are not affiliated with any religions at all... just like there are bad ones.

Every church or religion have a psycho in them (there's always someone who give their religion a bad name). Just hope they don't start a cult!

Agree there, but still insulted that some think its made up. :wacko: There are not so nice people everywhere :cry: Anyway I dont like religion not sure why I am even here just didnt like friends who have suffered being called liars.

I didn't say everything was made up, but that some of the things certain religions are said to have as a religious tenet or widespread practice, are made up. In the past it was even said by mainstream Christians that Jews kidnap, cook and eat children as a religious thing, this just shows how harmful false rumours about those of faith can be and how they can escalate. I am not saying no-one has ever been abused in the name of religion, not saying that at all xx

id never force my child to behave a certain way or beleive a certain version of events and i will give him ALL the facts so he can make up his own mind. i couldnt care less what he believes as long as hes happy, healthy, informed and not harming anybody.

OT, Jackie, wow, you look lovely in your pic, you cant have long left now? xxx

(Thanks! This is the point where I don't FEEL so lovely... but things are moving along, so hopefully sooner than later... Sometimes I swear he's going to come within days, other times I think I'd better prepare myself for the long-haul... How's little Joel?) ;)

(Thanks! This is the point where I don't FEEL so lovely... but things are moving along, so hopefully sooner than later... Sometimes I swear he's going to come within days, other times I think I'd better prepare myself for the long-haul... How's little Joel?) ;)

aww its horrible feeling like that, the pampers advert used to make me cry! due dates are there to tease us, im sure of it.

Joel is fine, starting to smile now which is very cute

aww its horrible feeling like that, the pampers advert used to make me cry! due dates are there to tease us, im sure of it.

Joel is fine, starting to smile now which is very cute
Ohhhhh fun!! I'm just SO baby-hungry. I want my little man! (But I have decided, after watching what you, hot tea, blah, and lynnikins had to go through, that I am NOT allowed to whine until I'm at least a week overdue! ;) )

We will be raising our child in the Christian faith. It's more than just going to church, it's a lifestyle for us, so it would be awfully difficult not to include our child. We don't have a church that we attend regularly. I have a few major points that a church has to meet before I'll be a regular: 1. Must preach from the Bible, 2. Worship cannot be a rock concert that hurts my ears, 3. Not a megachurch or tiny group, 4. The church must be good stewards of their money. One pastor told his congregation to give the church more money because they weren't meeting their monthly bills, and was holding an IPad and standing in front of a fog machine while saying that!

Sorry, got a bit off topic :) I would love to have a church family for my child to grow up in. When I quit working, we're going to try out some more churches in the area.

I have always been a firm believer in the fact that the two best gifts you can give a child are the strong sense of family and faith. So yes our LO will definitely be growing up going to church and knowing of faith in God and Jesus. And when she is older and decides that she want to commit she will be baptized.

I think it really depends on how it's done.

Giving a child a sense of religion which ends up crippling them with guilt, stifles their freedom, produces self loathing, promotes hate, discrimination, fear of others, fear in general, a limited knowledge of life, science, art, history etc. and/or a dislike of anything away from their religion is a horrible thing which damages a child and makes them a damaged individual whether they know it or not.

Giving a child a religion which opens them up to the spiritual world and endless possibilities, gives them a dedication to charity and kindess/compassion, shows them love for all humanity despite the frailties and weaknesses, gives them strength when they are vulnerable, gives them courage against injustice, teaches them their minds and character are valuable, that you should seek knowledge, suck out the marrow of life and to good things will lead to a very well rounded, happy individual.

People are different, children are different, they can be affected in different ways, religions can all be either of the above examples. The way people teach religion is different. there are many variables. But many people will simply teach religion the way it was taught to them, full of fear and restrictions which play no part in modern society. And others will break free of those teachings and take a different path.

I will teach my children what I believe but when they're teenagers and inevitably ask "how do we know" I will tell them that nobody does and that I believe what I do because of x, y and z. I just deeply hope that they gain from religion all the things I have and carry those gains with them through life. :flower:

I think it really depends on how it's done.

Giving a child a sense of religion which ends up crippling them with guilt, stifles their freedom, produces self loathing, promotes hate, discrimination, fear of others, fear in general, a limited knowledge of life, science, art, history etc. and/or a dislike of anything away from their religion is a horrible thing which damages a child and makes them a damaged individual whether they know it or not.

Giving a child a religion which opens them up to the spiritual world and endless possibilities, gives them a dedication to charity and kindess/compassion, shows them love for all humanity despite the frailties and weaknesses, gives them strength when they are vulnerable, gives them courage against injustice, teaches them their minds and character are valuable, that you should seek knowledge, suck out the marrow of life and to good things will lead to a very well rounded, happy individual.

People are different, children are different, they can be affected in different ways, religions can all be either of the above examples. The way people teach religion is different. there are many variables. But many people will simply teach religion the way it was taught to them, full of fear and restrictions which play no part in modern society. And others will break free of those teachings and take a different path.

I will teach my children what I believe but when they're teenagers and inevitably ask "how do we know" I will tell them that nobody does and that I believe what I do because of x, y and z. I just deeply hope that they gain from religion all the things I have and carry those gains with them through life. :flower:

That was a GREAT response :thumbup: You've worded it so well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->