Raising Children In Religion

I think it's often unintentional... because Utah is so highly concentrated with LDS, it's easy to assume everyone is. Then, you accidentally say things, make assumptions, or hold people to expectations that they never claimed in the first place.
Also, for kids.... it's hard. If they aren't LDS, they often feel 'left out' of groups because the church keeps the kids so busy with weeknight activities and other things... so again, people become unintentionally exclusive, not even knowing they're putting those expectations on others, or even leaving them out.
It's somewhat like that in bigger Utah cities, but especially like that in smaller Utah towns.

Can I share something embarrassing? One of the first questions I was asked by my classmates was if I was LDS.
I said, "Oh...um...I don't do drugs.." :dohh:

:haha: lol.... That's not the first time I've heard that mix-up. I'm a teacher, and what's funny is alot of my students who ARE LDS don't even know they are called by that acronym. "Huh? What's 'LDS'?" and when I reply "Mormon" they are like, "Ohhhhh....."

Alaskagrown: "What's with people assuming I do lsd??" ;)

It'll be interesting when my kids are old enough for classmates to discuss these things, and to see what odd questions they get asked. I guess not as many around here, but I've been asked some weeeeeeeeirrrrrrrrrd questions! (Then again, I've asked just as many weird questions... so....)

you mean questions like underpants? btw, my dad was a Mormon. but he wasn't a practicing mormon. my mom was a baptist. most of my family are.

Well, sure, questions about my underwear would be weird. :)

It seems simple... For those to whom religion is a very important part of their life, it's unthinkable not to raise their kids with the same beliefs. Why? Because we truly do believe it is true... We aren't speculating, or developing theories. We believe it to be 100% true, therefore why wouldn't we want to pass those truths on to our children?

And for those to whom religion is not as important, it would feel like a false indoctrination of their children to raise them to believe something specific when it comes to religion. So this is (usually) a pretty simple line. Religious parents will raise their children in that same belief system and religion, and those who aren't won't.
The reason why I asked this question is because my Aunt & Uncle are strict Catholics, they however want to raise their child a Christian. Everyone doesn't understand why (not that it's any of their business anyway), but if they believe so strongly in that faith why would they choose to raise their child an opposite religion from what they believe to be fact?

Sorry - can I just check - you do know that Catholics ARE Christians don't you??? Catholics aren't an opposite religion from Christians - they're a particular group of Christians.

(I assumed she must have meant a more non-denominational type Christian church... the kind that is much more casual and has a lot less tradition and ritual...? I think that's what she meant by 'opposite'...not that Christians are 'opposite' of Catholics...)

(I assumed she must have meant a more non-denominational type Christian church... the kind that is much more casual and has a lot less tradition and ritual...? I think that's what she meant by 'opposite'...not that Christians are 'opposite' of Catholics...)

Thanks - I just wanted to check!!

It seems simple... For those to whom religion is a very important part of their life, it's unthinkable not to raise their kids with the same beliefs. Why? Because we truly do believe it is true... We aren't speculating, or developing theories. We believe it to be 100% true, therefore why wouldn't we want to pass those truths on to our children?

And for those to whom religion is not as important, it would feel like a false indoctrination of their children to raise them to believe something specific when it comes to religion. So this is (usually) a pretty simple line. Religious parents will raise their children in that same belief system and religion, and those who aren't won't.
The reason why I asked this question is because my Aunt & Uncle are strict Catholics, they however want to raise their child a Christian. Everyone doesn't understand why (not that it's any of their business anyway), but if they believe so strongly in that faith why would they choose to raise their child an opposite religion from what they believe to be fact?

Sorry - can I just check - you do know that Catholics ARE Christians don't you??? Catholics aren't an opposite religion from Christians - they're a particular group of Christians.

She meant protestant christians.

She meant protestant christians.

Ok, I just thought it was a bit extreme to say that Christians are an opposite religion to Catholics!!!

theres not much difference in protestant and catholic anyway, some prayer are different and Catholics have things like holy communion where as protestants dont. I have been to both masses one was terrible but I wont go in to that.

Some protestants can be anti-catholic and tend to preach why catholicism is bad. Even some of the churches I went to, they preach against catholic. So She probably didnt understand why a strict catholic would send their kids in that type of environment.

Some protestants can be anti-catholic and tend to preach why catholicism is bad. Even some of the churches I went to, they preach against catholic. So She probably didnt understand why a strict catholic would send their kids in that type of environment.

I think I know what you mean, I had to go as I was bringing residents of a home I worked in , was my job and my turn that week. They knew I wasnt protestant and was treated like dirt. :wacko:

This :thumbup:

Catholicism and Christianity are not always the same ... hence why I posted this topic in the first place; to possibly get some ideas of why my Uncle would raise his son a different religion from him. If Catholicism & Christianity were the same thing, surely they wouldn't have a different name, right?

Anyway, that is besides the point. I realize that both religions can have similar beliefs, but they are still two different religions to me. That is just my opinion, though.

I want to thank everyone for their input :flow:

Sorry - I know I'm being a pain but I really can't leave it as Catholics and Christians are different religions - Methodists, Catholics, Episcopalians, Baptists, Church of England, United Reformed etc etc are ALL Christians - They all have the same basic beliefs at their heart.

Judaism & Christianity or Islam and Hinduism are different religions from each other. It would be more unusual if your relatives were Christians and choosing to raise their child as a Hindu.

I can appreciate what you're saying but the word you want is denomination not religion - Roman Catholics and Protestants are different Christian denominations but they're part of the same religion.

(Sorry I was a primary teacher responsible for RE - I can't help myself!!)

However yes I agree - it is strange that your relatives have chosen not to bring their child up as a Catholic - maybe they feel other denominations have better children's programmes in their churches or something??

Sorry - I know I'm being a pain but I really can't leave it as Catholics and Christians are different religions - Methodists, Catholics, Episcopalians, Baptists, Church of England, United Reformed etc etc are ALL Christians - They all have the same basic beliefs at their heart.

Judaism & Christianity or Islam and Hinduism are different religions from each other. It would be more unusual if your relatives were Christians and choosing to raise their child as a Hindu.

I can appreciate what you're saying but the word you want is denomination not religion - Roman Catholics and Protestants are different Christian denominations but they're part of the same religion.

However yes I agree - it is strange that your relatives have chosen not to bring their child up as a Catholic - maybe they feel other denominations have better children's programmes in their churches or something??

Some protestant think anti-Christ will come from Rome = Catholic. There is a difference between catholics and christians especially when it comes to salvation.

of course, people also think Jehovah witness and mormons are a form of christianity. But how they view trinity is totally different how most christians view it.

Some protestant think anti-Christ will come from Rome = Catholic. There is a difference between catholics and christians especially when it comes to salvation.

of course, people also think Jehovah witness and mormons are a form of christianity. But how they view trinity is totally different how most christians view it.

Well... that's why we're not discussing "trinitians".
Christians are, by definition, believers in Christ as the one Savior, through His atonement for our sins.

So... regardless of how they interpret many other specifics that others may or may not agree with... bottom line is Catholics are Christians, and yes... so are Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...)

Yes, yes this :thumbup:

I apologize, I just sometimes can't find the right words to say :haha:

Denominations is the correct terminology I meant :)

I'm still not exactly sure why they have chosen a different denomination though .. for some reason they won't tell anyone, but that is their choice. I'm assuming it is just a very private decision for them, but I wish they could open up about it x

I think 'Christians' consider Catholics to be the same, but I don't know one Catholic that think that they are the same as the rest. Catholics believe only Catholics are going to heaven. I also have heard many churches bash Catholics. Infact, as we cannot make it to the Catholic church with our schedule right now (although next September, I am hoping to) we have tried a couple other churches, and one said "oh, Catholics, why would you want to hate God?" WTF?! Clearly she was misinformed. There is MANY differences, and even going to the Anglican church at the moment, there is alot of differences. But, it's what you are used to and believe in. I personally believe in the Catholic church, although, I will say, there are some things that I don't agree with about it (IE: their views on divorce, and gays etc...I do not use birth control though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->