Raising Children In Religion

Sorry - I know I'm being a pain but I really can't leave it as Catholics and Christians are different religions - Methodists, Catholics, Episcopalians, Baptists, Church of England, United Reformed etc etc are ALL Christians - They all have the same basic beliefs at their heart.

Judaism & Christianity or Islam and Hinduism are different religions from each other. It would be more unusual if your relatives were Christians and choosing to raise their child as a Hindu.

I can appreciate what you're saying but the word you want is denomination not religion - Roman Catholics and Protestants are different Christian denominations but they're part of the same religion.

(Sorry I was a primary teacher responsible for RE - I can't help myself!!)

However yes I agree - it is strange that your relatives have chosen not to bring their child up as a Catholic - maybe they feel other denominations have better children's programmes in their churches or something??
Yes, yes this :thumbup:

I apologize, I just sometimes can't find the right words to say :haha:

Denominations is the correct terminology I meant :)

I'm still not exactly sure why they have chosen a different denomination though .. for some reason they won't tell anyone, but that is their choice. I'm assuming it is just a very private decision for them, but I wish they could open up about it x

I can't answer for them, obviously, but just wanted to say, that many Catholics have left the Catholic church because of the new pope. But, I don't know. Personally, I am not fond of him...and there is certain things I don't agree with...but, the church overall, and the mass, and also, just the way mass is, compared to other churches 'services' I like better, but just wanted to throw that out there???

Wow, I guess I'm pretty naive when it comes to the Catholics are are/not Christians thing! I work at a Catholic school and I'm Episcopalian and I never was under the impression at any time Catholics weren't Christians :p The Catholic school also really catered to the Russian Orthodox Native Alaskan children (though they never tried to convert them in any way), which I thought was interesting..!
I always heard the "Are Mormons Christian?" debate though... a lot. Only because I lived in Utah.

Catholics are just catholics not mormons or protestants? I wont mention where I heard what mormons do to babies when crying I hope it wasnt true it involved water. :wacko:

I'm Jewish and DH is not. We'll be raising our kids to be educated about the Judaism, but whether or not they decide to become religious is up to them. I'm not religious and was not raised as such. My parents sent me to a rather secular Hebrew school once a week to learn basic Hebrew, Jewish history, and how the religion functions.

I went to a Catholic school - we had a lot of RE lessons and learnt about many other religons as part of it. I find the Catholic church very acceptting of others beliefs and religions...
Catholicism is a form of Christianity - but people following that religion are still Catholic.

Catholics are just catholics not mormons or protestants? I wont mention where I heard what mormons do to babies when crying I hope it wasnt true it involved water. :wacko:

I'm Mormon, and I don't 'do' anything to my babies when they cry except soothe them.... Along with every other Mormon mommy I know.
I don't know why such bizarre rumors go around about Mormons.... If it sounds psycho, it's either not true or it's someone mixing up FLDS (polygamist society in Utah that has zero connection to the Mormon church today) with LDS (Mormon).

Just googled it, and as I suspected, that's FLDS that does the 'water' thing to their babies. https://equalitycentral.com/forum/index.php?topic=1885.0

They are not affiliated with the Mormon church in any way. They broke off on their own in the 1800s due to disagreeing with the Mormon church and wanting to run it their own way. They have been a completely separate 'church'/society ever since. They just kept a very similar name.

Yeah, for once I am going to agree with Jackie...my brother married Mormon...besides lying about when they got pregnant so as not to upset the 'elders' (they must have been stupid tho if they believed them...since she was like 5mths pregnant when she got married). The only thing I thought was 'weird' (meaning different than what I thought it should be) was there was no dancing or music at their wedding??? Strange. They divorced a year later, so that is all I witnessed of that faith, but the rest seemed pretty normal. A friend of mine was mormon in high school...and her mom pushed dresses on her all the time, but she 'rebelled' by wearing pants. lol...she was always a bit dramatic so don't know how real all that was tho.

I don't know why such bizarre rumors go around about Mormons.... If it sounds psycho, it's either not true or it's someone mixing up FLDS

Dont worry the same goes for my religion (Jehovahs witness) Ive heard some crackers i tell ya. The internet is bad for that :flower:

There was plenty of music and dancing at our wedding, so it must have been their own personal thing.

And pretty much the only time I'm in a dress is on Sunday at church. :haha: so, that sounds more like just a mom/daughter disagreement.
It is sort of an 'unspoken thing' that women wear dresses or skirts at church (and men wear ties and usually white dress-shirts) but nobody can really explain it..there's no rule that says so. It's like when something is a cultural norm but there's no law making people do it, you know? They just... Do. :shrug:

Just googled it, and as I suspected, that's FLDS that does the 'water' thing to their babies. https://equalitycentral.com/forum/index.php?topic=1885.0

They are not affiliated with the Mormon church in any way. They broke off on their own in the 1800s due to disagreeing with the Mormon church and wanting to run it their own way. They have been a completely separate 'church'/society ever since. They just kept a very similar name.
Glad its not all of them but sad that it happens.

I don't know why such bizarre rumors go around about Mormons.... If it sounds psycho, it's either not true or it's someone mixing up FLDS

Dont worry the same goes for my religion (Jehovahs witness) Ive heard some crackers i tell ya. The internet is bad for that :flower:

I have never heard anything bad about Jehovahs witnesses but sadly bad things are done in the name of religion and people suffer they arnt made up. :cry:

Some bad things are done in the name of religion, but a lot of it is either made up or wrongly said to be the practice of a whole faith when it is just one wacko sect that does it. Its like thinking that the practices of David Koresh at Waco were Christian practices, IYKWIM? As a Muslim the number of crazy things a tiny minority of Muslims do that are then called Islamic practices; well the mind boggles so I really sympathise with those of other faiths who have the same kind of nonsense slung at them.

I think you mean they made up things to do them not the things that happened ? I know not all people who follow religion are like some of the minority cults that do some nasty things.

I mean a lot of what are said to be crazy, abusive practices of various religions are made up rumours and don't actually happen at all; those things that do happen are usually done by wackjob sects and not the mainstream faith. xx

I think victims of religious abuse would not agree, theres plenty in Ireland who where abused by catholic priests and other religions through out the world people suffered abuse to.

Yes, but when it's not even true, that's when it's really frustrating. Such as with the recent example we just discussed about the water thing... You saud, "well I'm glad it's not all of them"
But actually it's not ANY of 'them' when referring to Mormons. It is a completely separate group.... Not even a 'weirdo sect' of the Mormon church.

So... What she was trying to point out is how frustrating it is when people take what they 'hear about such and such', and perpetuate the misunderstanding. And I agree. And it's even harder on kids when they are confronted by it and don't know what to say.

As for victims of abuse, how is it fair that because victims exist, that it is somehow ok to apply what happened to the entire faith? If someone is raped or abused by a man and therefore believes all men rape and abuse, we work to help them understand that was one evil man, not a representation of all men in the world.

Not nice actually since I know some that where abused in the church and certainly wouldnt say they made it up. But you believe what you want to I believe them. ps I did research on to that water thing and there are people showing you how to do it on youtube, you dont get to see it apparently as I wouldnt watch the vid but you are told how to do it.

Every church or religion have a psycho in them (there's always someone who give their religion a bad name). Just hope they don't start a cult!

Dragonfly.... I'm not saying someone made it up. I'm saying you accused the wrong church and completely different group of people.

I also didn't suggest that any victims of abuse made anything up. I said that when something happens to someone it isn't fair even rational to apply what happened to them to an entire group of people because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->