Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

ughhh last night was the worst!! She went to sleep at 6:30 pm and woke up again at 2:00 am coz she had pooped. I changed her and put her down but this time she would not go down until I nursed her 30 mins later (she usually would just go back to sleep). I was so wired by then that I couldn't sleep :( Then she woke up again at 5:30 am with another poop and again wanted to be nursed!!!

Let's just say I have been awake since 2 am. My head is a mess and I just feel like I'm caught at a dead end. No matter what I do sleep keeps getting worse...I just want to cry :'( How can sleep be so messy at 7 months when she used to be so good? Honestly I feel like there's a step forward and then two backward...

ughhh last night was the worst!! She went to sleep at 6:30 pm and woke up again at 2:00 am coz she had pooped. I changed her and put her down but this time she would not go down until I nursed her 30 mins later (she usually would just go back to sleep). I was so wired by then that I couldn't sleep :( Then she woke up again at 5:30 am with another poop and again wanted to be nursed!!!

Let's just say I have been awake since 2 am. My head is a mess and I just feel like I'm caught at a dead end. No matter what I do sleep keeps getting worse...I just want to cry :'( How can sleep be so messy at 7 months when she used to be so good? Honestly I feel like there's a step forward and then two backward...

Off topic, but I remember you from 3rd trimester. How time flies! Your girl is gorgeous! Hope you'll crack the sleep soon! It's annoying when they poo during the night

Hi hun, unfortunately baby sleep is just a bit like that. I think before you have children most people have the idea that newborns don't sleep very well but their sleep gradually gets better and better until they finally sleep through the night and then that's it. But the reality as we all know is very different.

I went through a big sleep regression at six months with DS, he had been almost sleeping through from about four months (just waking for one quick night feed at about 4 or 5 a.m.) but at six months he started randomly waking up multiple times a night for unknown reasons. It was very frustrating at the time but it did pass, I think it took about four weeks of disturbed sleep and then he went back to sleeping well. I would just try to stick to your normal routine with her as far as possible and hopefully things will soon return to normal. When I went through similar with DS (minus the poops!) I did my best not to feed him more than once a night but I know I had to feed him more often sometimes because he just wouldn't settle. Hang on in there, it will pass, honest, I think her digestive system just needs to settle down and then she will probably go back to sleeping well again.

Iren - thank you so much! I remember you too...so nice to see you here again (or maybe not coz this is the terrible sleep thread lol)

Polaris - You are right...but honestly I've been going down the exact same road once a month for a while now. She'll sleep through one week, then start waking up again for one reason or another. It's been going on exactly like this since she was 3 months old (if you read this thread you'll see my old posts). It doesn't help that I have a few friends with babies around her age and none are waking up anymore or at least are a lot more consistent with the wakeups. I just didn't think I'd be here at 7 months post-baby :/

Though being sleep deprived does make me very negative too....

Shadowy, I have only been feeling that way for a few weeks so you must be even more frustrated. But I know what you mean about one step forward, two back. It's so discouraging! I definitely didnt realize how NOT linear babies sleep is. Now I'm kinda just aiming for it to be better at 12 months with the hopes that that's a more realistic goal, lol.

Last night was sooo weird! I tried shorter awake periods between naps yesterday, and then he went for nap 4 at 5pm but decided to make it a longer one and woke at 6:30. So I tried for bed at 8:15...and he would NOT stay asleep! I think he needs more awake time before bed maybe?! He kept waking after a few minutes and he fought sleep UNTIL MIDNIGHT. He wasn't dazed or cranky just happy, chipper and wide awake. It was bizarre. He hasn't done that before!

Always something new...

I am starting to read this thread from the beginning as LO is sleeping in my arms..
But few questions meanwhile...I just don't know where to start
Here is our sleeping routine:
4 naps a day, first and last in my arms, 2 in between in his pram. It's not fun when the weather is bad, but I a more or less ok with that. The problem is when we are at home.
He just won't get it, that he needs to sleep in his bed. I tried several times putting him there drowsy but awake and he ends up screaming, but its bit too early for CIO, so not keen to leave him there just cry. As soon as I pick him up, he nods off in my arms.
I've tried put down pick up method, but just for a day. He just gets more frustrated and inconsolable.
I know I have been rocking him to sleep all his life, so I do t expect to change overnight, just don't know how to make it gradual process.

Bed time: bath, bottle/nursing (I combifeed) and he is asleep in my arms then I transfer him to his cot (next to our bed). Past few weeks he go e from waking 1-2 for a feed to waking 3-5 times screaming and won't stop until I feed him or sometimes just putting back his dummy works. He sleeps from around 8.30pm to 5.30-6am. Not keen for hi sleeping in our bed, so just take him after he wakes up
Around 9 hours sleep during the night and 3 during the day, so I do th think he is having enough...

Sorry that its bit too long, but I don't know where to start, should I deal with daytime naps first or sort his night time. How on earth I make him go to bed awake and fell asleep and not screaming
I really want to do so etching about it now as i am going back to work when he will be 8 month and I can't see things improving without me doing so etching about it and I wo t be able to function if it will carry on like this
Thanks

Hi! Welcome to our little group. I'd love to try and give you some recommendations - when does he wake for the day and how long are his naps? He's a bit young for sleep training, but I think you can first tweak your schedule and then work on some positive sleep associations to get him a bit more interested in the crib. I never thought my daughter would sleep in her crib. She loved her Rock n Play Sleeper and being in our room for quite some time. Now she's 10 months and sleeps happily in her crib all night!

Thanks Noelle610!
6am he is up for the day, but that varies from 5.15 to 6.30 (on a rare good day:) if he naps in a pram that can be 1,5 (40min, then wakes up, look around and fells asleep again) and in my arms from 30 min to 2 hours.
Usually first nap 8-9am
Second 10.30-12 or 11 to 1 (with some awake time in between)
3rd around 3pm for about 30 min
Last 5pm to 6 or past few days till 6.30pm
Would really love to hear your suggestions. It's great that you've manged to make your girl sleep in her crib and I did not realise how hard it could be

Let me start by saying that 4 and 5 months is just a hard time for sleep in general. I know a sleep consultant who has helped me immensely and she calls months 4 and 5 "one big wonder week" (basically a huge growth spurt that can really affect sleep). So a lot of what you're going through is normal.

During the day I'd aim to have LO down after 90 minutes of awake time. You may want to try an earlier morning nap. That will minimize the possibility of him getting overtired and he will fight sleep less.

In terms of the crib, try creating a positive experience for LO during the day. Put him in there with some of his favorite toys and have some fun with him. Once he starts to enjoy the crib, you can trying putting him down there for naps first. You may sit with him at first and then gradually move your chair toward the door so that he gets used to sleeping independently.

Can he roll? If so, you may want to try putting him down on his tummy to sleep at night (fine if he is mobile). My daughter slept much better that way. In addition to your bedtime routine, I'd play loud white noise (either a white noise machine or app on your phone), make sure the room is dark (blackout blinds work great) and perhaps introduce a lovey to him.

He will sleep independently eventually, I promise! Also, 2 or 3 night feeds at this age is totally within the range of normal.

Shadowy Lady, I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it can be to go back and forth. It's been a bit like that for us recently, but don't despair. I think these regressions get a bit easier as they get older, because they generally go back to sleeping well after the disruption if you don't stray too far from your routine. I wonder if Sofia is going through the 6 month growth spurt a bit on the late side and that's the reason she wanted to nurse last night.

Gaia, that's really interesting. Usually the early bedtime really helps the night sleep. Odd question, but can you count up the total amount of time he was awake during the day versus sleeping? I'm wondering if he needs more, I just don't know where that should go!

Well, it was pretty much 90 min awake befor every 40min nap and one 80min one. Soooo 6 hours awake and 3.5 asleep. Then another 1.5-2 hours before attempted bedtime. I did try to extend the short naps as I often do by keeping it quiet/dark and rocking or nursing him but he was WIDE awake and woke up happy from each of the short naps!

Also I have not noticed any big difference in night sleep compared to naps! Sometimes he naps amazing and the night is still crap and sometimes he barely naps and then has a good night! Lol

I think he usually gets about 14 hours a day/night not including wakings. I know it should be 15 but I figure there's a bit of variation per individual so try not to stress myself out about it. I don't know what more I can do to get him more sleep, I've literally tried every possible variation! Haha

I am starting to read this thread from the beginning as LO is sleeping in my arms..
4 naps a day, first and last in my arms, 2 in between in his pram. It's not fun when the weather is bad, but I a more or less ok with that. The problem is when we are at home.
He just won't get it, that he needs to sleep in his bed. I tried several times putting him there drowsy but awake and he ends up screaming, but its bit too early for CIO, so not keen to leave him there just cry. As soon as I pick him up, he nods off in my arms.
I've tried put down pick up method, but just for a day. He just gets more frustrated and inconsolable.
I know I have been rocking him to sleep all his life, so I do t expect to change overnight, just don't know how to make it gradual process.

Bed time: bath, bottle/nursing (I combifeed) and he is asleep in my arms then I transfer him to his cot (next to our bed). Past few weeks he go e from waking 1-2 for a feed to waking 3-5 times screaming and won't stop until I feed him or sometimes just putting back his dummy works. He sleeps from around 8.30pm to 5.30-6am. Not keen for hi sleeping in our bed, so just take him after he wakes up
Around 9 hours sleep during the night and 3 during the day, so I do th think he is having enough...

Sorry that its bit too long, but I don't know where to start, should I deal with daytime naps first or sort his night time. How on earth I make him go to bed awake and fell asleep and not screaming
I really want to do so etching about it now as i am going back to work when he will be 8 month and I can't see things improving without me doing so etching about it and I wo t be able to function if it will carry on like this
Thanks

Hi! Welcome to our little group. I'd love to try and give you some recommendations - when does he wake for the day and how long are his naps? He's a bit young for sleep training, but I think you can first tweak your schedule and then work on some positive sleep associations to get him a bit more interested in the crib. I never thought my daughter would sleep in her crib. She loved her Rock n Play Sleeper and being in our room for quite some time. Now she's 10 months and sleeps happily in her crib all night!

Thanks Noelle610!
6am he is up for the day, but that varies from 5.15 to 6.30 (on a rare good day:) if he naps in a pram that can be 1,5 (40min, then wakes up, look around and fells asleep again) and in my arms from 30 min to 2 hours.
Usually first nap 8-9am
Would really love to hear your suggestions. It's great that you've manged to make your girl sleep in her crib and I did not realise how hard it could be

Let me start by saying that 4 and 5 months is just a hard time for sleep in general. I know a sleep consultant who has helped me immensely and she calls months 4 and 5 "one big wonder week" (basically a huge growth spurt that can really affect sleep). So a lot of what you're going through is normal.

During the day I'd aim to have LO down after 90 minutes of awake time. You may want to try an earlier morning nap. That will minimize the possibility of him getting overtired and he will fight sleep less.

In terms of the crib, try creating a positive experience for LO during the day. Put him in there with some of his favorite toys and have some fun with him. Once he starts to enjoy the crib, you can trying putting him down there for naps first. You may sit with him at first and then gradually move your chair toward the door so that he gets used to sleeping independently.

Can he roll? If so, you may want to try putting him down on his tummy to sleep at night (fine if he is mobile). My daughter slept much better that way. In addition to your bedtime routine, I'd play loud white noise (either a white noise machine or app on your phone), make sure the room is dark (blackout blinds work great) and perhaps introduce a lovey to him.

He will sleep independently eventually, I promise! Also, 2 or 3 night feeds at this age is totally within the range of normal.

Thanks Noelle! I do feel that we are going through one big wonder week. Some days are good, but then it all goes downhill
Just after posting here I noticed he was rubbing his eyes, so put in his cot and held my arm next to his cheek and he fell asleep, then I put my top next to him, so smells mummy and he slept for 40min all by himself in his bed! That never ever happened before!
I'll try to stick with 90 min rule, is 30-40 min nap ok? Or if he sleeps for 2 hours which can be if we outside, the next nap after 90 min anyway?
He has music mobile in his cot for mornings, but any music overstimulates him. We'll play more in his cot tomorrow and see how that goes. Also make the room darker, but OH is against white noise, so that's out.
Thanks again for the suggestions, i' ll be back here in a few days once try it out :thumbup:

Pretty huge progress here on day 2 of no walking and no feeding to sleep. Yesterday Mia properly self settled for a nap, we were out and I put her down in a pack n play at my dad's house and checked on her 10 minutes later and she was asleep, amazing!

Last night she was asleep within 3 minutes of being in her cot at 7pm. Then woke at 10pm, 1am and 3am but no motn party and no feeding or changing, just patting back to sleep.

I really enjoyed those troublesome tots articles, Noelle. They have been a big help to us, realising that all the walking to sleep is doing more harm than good. I'm just hoping that we continue to have success with this [-o<

Just wanted bo tell someone, the past 6 weeks training have worked, my baby girl slept through the last two nights!!! Wahooooo, just hope she can manage a thrid so I can sleep rather than be so buzzed she did it.

Only problem we are now having is naps, I used to feed then, put her down awake and she would cry down a bit. I have dropped back to two feeds morning and night due to going back to work and so need to not feed her, DH gets her down but I think she expects it from me?? Any ideas??

Also need to not feed her in the night now even if she does wake, but shhhh'ing and patting does seem to work, which is how I got her to sleep through. My DS never just did it like this we had to offer him water instead of boobie.

Hope you all have restful nights xxx

Thanks

Thanks Noelle610!
Usually first nap 8-9am

Thanks Noelle! I do feel that we are going through one big wonder week. Some days are good, but then it all goes downhill
Just after posting here I noticed he was rubbing his eyes, so put in his cot and held my arm next to his cheek and he fell asleep, then I put my top next to him, so smells mummy and he slept for 40min all by himself in his bed! That never ever happened before!
I'll try to stick with 90 min rule, is 30-40 min nap ok? Or if he sleeps for 2 hours which can be if we outside, the next nap after 90 min anyway?
He has music mobile in his cot for mornings, but any music overstimulates him. We'll play more in his cot tomorrow and see how that goes. Also make the room darker, but OH is against white noise, so that's out.
Thanks again for the suggestions, i' ll be back here in a few days once try it out :thumbup:

Oh how perfect! Definitely put something that smells of you in the crib. You can even sprinkle it with a few drops of breast milk. I used to sleep with my DD's lovey for a few nights (she has two, so I could interchange them).

I would stick with the 90 minute rule even if the nap is long. 30-40 minute naps are fine too and actually very common at this age! Around 6 months and/or when LO drops to 2 naps, they will likely lengthen on their own.

Why is your OH against white noise, just out of curiosity? That's not one I've heard before, though my DH has some odd ideas too :haha:

Oh, and my LO also found the mobile stimulating :)

Pretty huge progress here on day 2 of no walking and no feeding to sleep. Yesterday Mia properly self settled for a nap, we were out and I put her down in a pack n play at my dad's house and checked on her 10 minutes later and she was asleep, amazing!

Last night she was asleep within 3 minutes of being in her cot at 7pm. Then woke at 10pm, 1am and 3am but no motn party and no feeding or changing, just patting back to sleep.

I really enjoyed those troublesome tots articles, Noelle. They have been a big help to us, realising that all the walking to sleep is doing more harm than good. I'm just hoping that we continue to have success with this [-o<

WOW! Sounds like you are both doing great.

So happy you enjoyed the Troublesome Tots articles! I really think it's a great blog. It's very informative, but not super bias in terms of CIO or non-CIO methods.

Just wanted bo tell someone, the past 6 weeks training have worked, my baby girl slept through the last two nights!!! Wahooooo, just hope she can manage a thrid so I can sleep rather than be so buzzed she did it.

Only problem we are now having is naps, I used to feed then, put her down awake and she would cry down a bit. I have dropped back to two feeds morning and night due to going back to work and so need to not feed her, DH gets her down but I think she expects it from me?? Any ideas??

Also need to not feed her in the night now even if she does wake, but shhhh'ing and patting does seem to work, which is how I got her to sleep through. My DS never just did it like this we had to offer him water instead of boobie.

Hope you all have restful nights xxx

Wahooooo!!! I'm thrilled for you.

Do you have a nap time routine? Maybe you could replace the feed with something you and DH can both do consistently, like a story.

I got my daughter down to one night feed at 6 months and did something similar with the shh/pat. It worked well! I was surprised how well.

thanks noelle, have been thinking that, I'm hoping a few days in and she'll forgte we did it lol, not sure if that's wishful thinking, but will def try a story to replace the feed. We're really hot on routines and they do work it's just replacing that one when she can probably smell my milk. Feel so hopeless everytime, you go two steps forward and one back and it throws me when a routine changes, I need them as much as she does xx

Oh, I hear you L-C! We're big on routines here, too. I bet she adjusts more quickly than you think - babies are pretty adaptable.

I really hope so, hate not being the boss ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->