Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

I hope everyone had a good night.

I'm afraid to type this as it may come back to bite me, but sleep for the past three days has been amazing here. STTN 12 hours without a peep, like those babies I didn't think existed. I really hope it continues... But it probably won't :haha: Just enjoying it until the next regression/tooth/milestone.

I'm afraid to type this as it may come back to bite me, but sleep for the past three days has been amazing here. STTN 12 hours without a peep, like those babies I didn't think existed. I really hope it continues... But it probably won't :haha: Just enjoying it until the next regression/tooth/milestone.

That's good news hope it continues.

Naps have been so difficult today 30mins at 8:50 this morning, then he was fighting everything so in the end I have let him fall asleep watching tv bad I know but he was so tired he went sleep 35 mins ago no dummy though

Go, Charlotte! I can't even tell you how jealous I am, haha. Elsie has been up hourly for the second half of the night and just now fell asleep after fussing for an hour :wacko: I usually keep very detailed to-the-minute sleep logs with Trixie Tracker but I haven't even been able to keep up with her wakings the past few nights; it's seemed like she's been awake and fussing nonstop. I feel CIO looming in our immediate future.

Go, Charlotte! I can't even tell you how jealous I am, haha. Elsie has been up hourly for the second half of the night and just now fell asleep after fussing for an hour :wacko: I usually keep very detailed to-the-minute sleep logs with Trixie Tracker but I haven't even been able to keep up with her wakings the past few nights; it's seemed like she's been awake and fussing nonstop. I feel CIO looming in our immediate future.

Oh no, that sucks! Honestly, maybe CIO will work in your situation. You know your daughter best, so I would just use your gut.

What I want to know is, when do these things even out? Like, how long? Two years, three years? I love that Charlotte is sleeping well, but I hate that I can never trust it, you know?

Oh no, that sucks! Honestly, maybe CIO will work in your situation. You know your daughter best, so I would just use your gut.

What I want to know is, when do these things even out? Like, how long? Two years, three years? I love that Charlotte is sleeping well, but I hate that I can never trust it, you know?

Well, to be fair it's probably going to be more like Whine It Out, or Controlled Whining depending on how I decide to go about it. She doesn't usually cry during these wakings, she's mostly just yelling and fussing. Sometimes that yelling and fussing results in mom coming in to feed her (if it's past 4am) or to give her back the stuffed animals she flung on the floor or to pat her back while begging her to go to sleep.

I've been telling myself that I'm being flexible and responsive, but the truth is that sporadic reinforcement is the strongest kind and I've been offering it up by the truckload :blush: Which probably isn't the best idea with a child who needs structure and consistency.

And I've been wondering that too! I have memories of my little sister popping out of bed all night long at 2-3 years old asking for a drink of water or a story. I'm seriously dreading that time period :wacko:

Well, to be fair it's probably going to be more like Whine It Out, or Controlled Whining depending on how I decide to go about it. She doesn't usually cry during these wakings, she's mostly just yelling and fussing. Sometimes that yelling and fussing results in mom coming in to feed her (if it's past 4am) or to give her back the stuffed animals she flung on the floor or to pat her back while begging her to go to sleep.

I've been telling myself that I'm being flexible and responsive, but the truth is that sporadic reinforcement is the strongest kind and I've been offering it up by the truckload :blush: Which probably isn't the best idea with a child who needs structure and consistency.

And I've been wondering that too! I have memories of my little sister popping out of bed all night long at 2-3 years old asking for a drink of water or a story. I'm seriously dreading that time period :wacko:

I hear you. I'm not consistent either. I know a sleep consultant and she was making fun of me the other day. She basically said I can't take my own advice, which is true! She recommended responding to night wakings as minimally as possible - no taking out of the crib unless hysterical, patting her bum or even just verbal reassurance from the door. I have to work on that.

UGH I REALLY hope that isn't our life at 3 years old... IT NEVER ENDS!

My 3 yr old nephew still gets up at least once a night to ask his mum if a fox/monster/dinosaur can get in the house, or to go to the toilet. It definitely never ends!!! And the worst about that is they are independently mobile and can appear in your room!!!

Well my three year old sleeps extremely well and has done since about fourteen months. We very rarely hear from him during the night unless he's not well. The very odd time he will wake up for a pee or a drink of water but goes straight off back to sleep again afterwards. He was a terrible sleeper as a newborn and wasn't great as an older baby (although Clara is definitely worse) but he really is a consistently good sleeper now. He still takes a two hour nap after lunch too.

Polaris, that's good to hear!

Boo, that scares me! I think it was Dr. Sears who put a small bed in his room for one of his kids? The story goes that he told them it was fine if they wanted to sleep with mom and dad for whatever reason, but they couldn't wake them up. I hope I'm not making that up!

My nephews (4.5 and 2.5yrs) do not sleep through, and the younger one gets up at 5am :wacko: This is part of the reason why I am so keen to stamp out bad habits now!

So we've had a rough few days - two teeth through, two more broken the gum, I'm pretty sure I have a chest infection and to top things off Finlay has norovirus. Great. On Saturday night he was sick from 1am - 2.45am. In a way it was a blessing I was at my mum's so he was in the room with me, but on the other hand I ran out of babygros and vests etc. so had to wake my mum up to get the spares out of her room. We're now on to the yucky nappy stages and he is SOOO clingy. I really am getting close to being at my wits end, especially as I'm ill anyway (and can't go to the drs because he is so infectious its not fair for anyone to babysit him and I can't take him to the drs either). My patience is running thin and the weather is bad too so we've been under house arrest. Apart from the night he was sick, nothing much has changed sleep wise - still up a few times and his naps are still pants. His pm nap lasted 20mins today. Definitely thinking about going to bed shortly. :(

Oh and to answer pp. I'm 29 (for two and half more weeks :cry:)

Polaris, that's good to hear!

Boo, that scares me! I think it was Dr. Sears who put a small bed in his room for one of his kids? The story goes that he told them it was fine if they wanted to sleep with mom and dad for whatever reason, but they couldn't wake them up. I hope I'm not making that up!

Scares me too! The idea of opening my eyes and a toddler staring right at me totally freaks me out lol!!! Prob will be totally different when it's my toddler though :)
Ooh Polaris I hope Jack is like your son then! And Clara is such a pretty name :)

Notnic ahh poor you that sounds like the perfect storm of horribleness :( I really hope things look up for you soon x

My friend's little girl who is 2 years 8 months has just learnt how to open doors. She says she can hear her thundering around her room for a while, then the door handle slowly goes down and there she is in their room saying 'get up mummy' ! Not looking forward to those days either!

Anabella was up at 9am this morning, but managed just one 30 min nap all day.....urgh this is so frustrating! If I put her down when she is not sleepy, she will either just play or scream.

Do you think it's possible she just doesn't need as much sleep? (I do appreciate she sleeps later in the morning so this may be a contributing factor, but surely 30 mins ALL DAY is not right?!)

Noelle - yay for good nights! I've got my fingers crossed for you that it continues.

Bananaz - I agree with Noelle I think CIO likely will work for you. I hear it works wonders with older babies. It'll probably be hard the first night but will get easier. Every single case I've heard of CIO it has worked in under 3 nights.

Boo - eeeek! I def am not ready to be woken up yet again by a toddler! I hope they don't all do that!!!

NotNic - so sorry to hear about your rough nights. My LO doesn't have any teeth yet and I'm already freaking out about how they will affect her.

Last night was another good one for us. Third night in a row that she slept from 6:30 pm to 6:00 am without a peek. I went to sleep at 10:00 pm and actually woke up at the same time as her (6:00 am). I mean 6:00 am is early but sooooo much better than the pooping week we had last week, lol!

I take it and hope this time sttn sticks around.

Not to bad here last night lo napped rubbish yesterday so was shattered after 6 so I put him bed at 6:15 he woke for a feed at 10:50 then went sleep I heard him moan abit around 2 an 4 but I didn't go into him an he was up for the day 5:45

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->