Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Polaris-Hope your LO feels better soon.

Stephie-I'd like to think it's teething but I'm not sure.

Last night was a bit better. Slept from 7:30 to 1am, nursed, up every 45 minutes to an hour after that. Some were soothed with shush and pat, but OH walked her once and I nursed her again at 4:30. She was pretty fussy after that, standing up in the cosleeper, etc. so she came to bed with us. Still fussy which is unusual. typically once she's in bed with us she sleeps well. We got up at 6:15. Ped appt today so she missed her first nap. And she got shots so she was really mad. She woke up after 30 minutes of a nap but I walked her and she went back down again. I'm hoping this is all bc of her learning to pull up and cruise a bit. Hoping to go back to 2 night feeds and good sleep in between.

Radkat, did you ask the ped about sleep? I'm always curious to know how doctors respond to these inquiries. Mines amazing and knows a lot about sleep, but others seem utterly useless in that area.

She didn't seem concerned or think it was unusual. Suggested cosleeping. Also said it was more common for breastfed babies as they get all of their comfort from mama. She also thought her learning to pull up/stand early (LO is not quite 7 mo) could be contributing to it. No real practical advice though.

I swear to god if we go thru the 8 month regression as bad as 4 i think were just coming out of it i will run and cry were just getting sleep LOL

Radkat I like the sounds of your ped! I've heard of so many that instantly advocate for sleep training despite what's normal for bf babies. Not that a ped is qualified to give sleep advice ANYWAYS, but still nice to know there are some like yours out there :)

Polaris - Finlay was another baby whose nights were spoilt by that 4mth regression. He actually sttn until 5/6am from 8wks and then when we hit that 4mth regression it kicked our butts hard. WW37 was also tough, but mostly because we had a month of good nights and tbh I felt he was old enough to understand sleepy time. Also he was pulling himself up, meaning I had to work at settling him AND that's when those early starts crept back in. The last WW has been okay. A bit of messing around with naps and probably a week or two of unsettled nights but nothing like before. It's interesting how each baby is different with the regressions.

I need all your good night wish's possible! LO had a very messed up day today.

She wouldn't nap that great on her morning nap which is nothing new it's the normal her mid day one was 45 mins which again is pretty " Normal" for her anyway.

what screwed us up was our night time routine argh we had a massive forest fire in my area its been so warm here lately with no rain the whole city filled up with smoke it was gross our house stunk.. My friend live's outside the city so we decided to head there for a few hours until it slowed down in the city they were having a hard time putting the fire out.. i got her in her pj's at my friends house and she had her milk in the car and fell asleep in the car OH managed to get her in bed sleeping but now she's rolling in her crib... hoping for a good nights sleep tonight .

I'm feeling discouraged tonight. I hate the crying every night. Is it too much to expect the crying to be done by now? Even if it's under ten minutes.

I'm really torn, because this has helped his sleep, his routine, and his mood during the day so much. But I'm just sick of the miserable bedtimes. I can't imagine going back, but I want to stop this.

Melly, hope tonight goes well :hugs: you already know, sometimes it just doesn't matter that much what happens during the day...

29 min of crying today. DH seems really burnt out and upset. We're quitting. :(

Hugs to Melly and Seaweed.

LO's pediatrician is really great. Very warm and caring. I was really impressed that she suggested cosleeping. Didn't even give the "be careful" speech re: cosleeping. Just talked about how it helps them settle.

LO took a nice long am nap 1 1/2 hours. Then 40 minutes for pm nap. I'm sure the morning nap was longer bc of the shots. Fussier today, but not too bad. She's been down almost an hour. I'm hoping tonight goes better than the last few.

I really hope tonight goes better, Radkat :hugs:

That is awesome about your pediatrician. Add ours to the list of ones who said LO should be sleeping 10-12 hours straight at 6 months.

I'm feeling discouraged tonight. I hate the crying every night. Is it too much to expect the crying to be done by now? Even if it's under ten minutes.

I'm really torn, because this has helped his sleep, his routine, and his mood during the day so much. But I'm just sick of the miserable bedtimes. I can't imagine going back, but I want to stop this.

My LO has been self-settling for a while and she still often cries for a couple of minutes while going down for naps and occasionally whimpers a little at bedtime too. Doing a longer wind-down helps during the day but sometimes I think the crying is necessary to help her discharge some energy before she can go to sleep. She's always cried before naps and bedtime, though, even when I was nursing or rocking her down, so maybe that's just her :shrug:

Yeah, I think it bothers me because LO never used to cry before when he was nursing to sleep. Maybe for less than a minute after I put him down awake. :shrug: But now he seems to need DH to go in multiple times. I feel like I know the energy-discharging cry and it's not really that. More like he's tiring himself out through crying.

Seaweed :hugs:
I know exactly what you mean about the crying just getting too much. I think it's OK to give up for a bit and just do whatever works for a while. I don't think it means that the work you have done will be cancelled out even though there probably will be a bit of back-sliding. When we decided that we had done CC for long enough with Clara her sleep had really improved even though it wasn't perfect and the benefits did mostly remain after we stopped being rigid about what we were doing. For example, she mostly self-settles easily now whereas before she always needed a lot of nursing down. And she does sleep for longer stretches since doing CC, whereas beforehand she rarely slept for more than 20 minutes for naps or hourly wakings at nighttime. We didn't go back to that after we stopped, although I know Clara's sleep can be pretty awful at times!! For some reason Clara settles better for naps than at bedtime. Bedtime she still often needs a lot of intervention so I am just going with what she needs and doing my best to put her into the cot awake. But if I need to pick her up and nurse her again or cuddle her a bit more or whatever then I am doing that. I don't want her to cry herself to sleep every night so this is what works for us right now. DS always cried before every nap for about five minutes (but not at bedtime funnily) but that was definitely a winding-down cry like bananaz describes and he would cry before naps regardless of what I was doing. I do think there's a difference between the winding down/letting off steam cry and this bedtime crying. I don't know whether the "right" thing is just to keep going and be consistent but I made the same decision as you and decided that enough was enough.

We had a great night last night after the nightmare of last night, even though she's still not well and was cranky all day. She slept right through until 1.30, had a feed, and straight back to sleep until 6.15. I thought she would be up for the day at that stage but I fed her and she seemed to want to go back down and she sleep asleep now at almost 7 a.m. I feel great this morning because I went to bed at 8.30 (!) in preparation for another night of no sleep and actually managed to sleep all night!

29 min of crying today. DH seems really burnt out and upset. We're quitting. :(

Big hugs. I know it works for some people but its not for us, I can understand why you want to quit. Plus think of all the nice snuggles you'll get now xxx

Just checking in... Another bad night although I'm sure we are seeing slight improvements. I think we got at least one 2 hour stretch in there. Yesterday and today I put him down much sooner for his naps and he isn't fighting like he used to. It means an earlier bed time and an even earlier wakeup (5am this morning) but I feel like we are moving forward slowly. Just so darn tired! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->