Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

so we're having weird nights again. She wakes up but not wanting to eat...just babbling away and "fake coughing" lol! Last night she did this at 3:30 am. I wanted to let her be but my DH went and gave her a bottle. I think we need to agree on this feed vs no feed during the day and not at 3:30 am!!

She continues to take naps on her tummy but sleeps on her back at nights. She did roll onto her tummy after the 3:30 wakeup though and slept till 8 am.

I'm telling DH we need to not feed her in the middle of the night and let her resettle herself as she doesn't even cry! What do you guys think?

I will.. the weekend is always so screwy its the only time we actually spend time with OH.. but i think we might take it easy this weekend just so she can settle into something solid!

so we're having weird nights again. She wakes up but not wanting to eat...just babbling away and "fake coughing" lol! Last night she did this at 3:30 am. I wanted to let her be but my DH went and gave her a bottle. I think we need to agree on this feed vs no feed during the day and not at 3:30 am!!

She continues to take naps on her tummy but sleeps on her back at nights. She did roll onto her tummy after the 3:30 wakeup though and slept till 8 am.

I'm telling DH we need to not feed her in the middle of the night and let her resettle herself as she doesn't even cry! What do you guys think?

I think letting her settle herself back to sleep as long as she doesnt need to eat for sure is the best way to go. If DH keeps feeding in the middle of the night it will become a habit for sure.

I'd let her re settle... this is my big problem right now and i need to work on it.. she is awake every 20 mins at night not full of crying either its pretty much rolling around my bed and looking at me and babbling to her self!..

I totally agree with you. There's no need to feed a baby that isn't hungry at night - it will just become a habit. If she's not upset, she's likely fine. Charlotte does that babbling/fake coughing thing sometimes and usually around 3am. That's when babies enter a lighter sleep cycle and will often wake, but then soothe themselves back to sleep if they know how. I would just leave her be.

Sunnie - Ugh, 36 hours without sleep and holding a sleeping baby for 10 hours on a plane? You poor thing! I'm glad Seren seems to be adjusting to being home pretty quickly though, and I hope she has a good night. Hang in there :hugs:

mellyboo- I agree with all of Noelle's advice so there's not much I can add, but I'm glad to hear you're seeing results with CC. It sounds like you are definitely on the right track and with a little tweaking of her nap schedule things will likely be much improved :)

We've had a rough couple days. The night before last LO did pretty well but I only got 3 hours of sleep because a medication I took kept me awake. Then she woke up with a 103F fever yesterday morning and it hovered around 101-102 for the rest of the day. Her daytime sleep was a mess (one of her naps was 8 minutes long!) and she was a little clingy but she didn't have any other symptoms so I decided to just give her ibuprofen and keep an eye on her.

Then this morning she woke up at 1:30am with a temp of 104 :( I thought about taking her to the ER but I got the fever down quickly and after that she was actually in a pretty good mood so I decided against it. Unfortunately she wouldn't go back to sleep until almost 4am and she woke again at 4:30am. She resettled quickly that time though, but then she got up for the day at 5:45am :nope:

Anyway, I'm definitely taking her to the pediatrician today since she still has a fever. Hopefully the doctor will help and LO will be able to catch up on some sleep today.

Poor Elise and poor mama! Hope she feels better soon. I'm sure the illness is the reason for the poor sleep.

Aww bananaz hope Elsie feels better :( they should check her urine if she has a fever but no other symptoms. But hopefully it's something much more simple like teething?

Mellyboo good luck with the CC!

Shadowy I would chat with your hubby in the day and agree not to feed if she's not upset. I would actually go mad with my hubby if he fed jack when I didn't want to! In fact I don't think he'd dare! :haha:

Jack has been having good nights touch wood. Still getting the odd early waking, but maye about 30 mins later than last wk. I'm putting him down by 7.15 and trying to be consistent with his naps. I've also put a blanket over his sleeping bag the last 2 nights so I'm wondering if he was a little cold...

I'm having random episodes of mini insomnia, haha! Like last night I was in bed by 10.30 but still awake at 11.30 (although think that was because I kept looking at the chat threads, lol!!). The other night I woke up at 2am and was awake for half an hour for no reason at all! So weird. Think it's because my sleep was disrupted when jack was waking early as I don't 'do' unpredictability well! So even though he seems a bit better, I'm still in the habit :)

Shadowy Lady - If she doesn't cry then definitely let her be! She will let you know if she's hungry or needs you. Giving her food she doesn't want/need is likely to create more problems than it will solve.

Boo - I'm definitely going to ask about the urine, a UTI was one of the first things I thought of after reading about MiniKiwi's problems with poor Mia.

I'm glad to hear Jack is sleeping better, and I'm sure as he becomes more consistent you'll be able to relax and sleep better too!

Bleh. It's 6:30am and Sophie has been yelling and blowing raspberries since 4:45am.

I was doing weightlifting at a fitness centre last night so couldn't switch off until almost 1am.

My OH has just stormed out of the bedroom after asking me why I don't make an effort to get her to be quiet! Yeah, really helpful, thanks dude. He's been asleep since 8 bloody 30pm!!!

Bleh. It's 6:30am and Sophie has been yelling and blowing raspberries since 4:45am.

I was doing weightlifting at a fitness centre last night so couldn't switch off until almost 1am.

My OH has just stormed out of the bedroom after asking me why I don't make an effort to get her to be quiet! Yeah, really helpful, thanks dude. He's been asleep since 8 bloody 30pm!!!

Men, I tell you!

I think I might have to join in if that's ok? Yet another dreadful night. LO isn't eating well in the day and has started waking up for night feeds again. She hasn't had a night feed since 6.5 mths. I cant go back to them after all this time, this is so unfair!!! She cried non stop for 1.5 hours from 4.30am. Refused to be settled. Tried everything until we decided ok shes hungry, will have to make a bottle. She drained the whole thing then went back to sleep for 30 mins. I feel so hopeless about sleep right now, along with feeling totally hopeless about weaning, I could cry :-(

Aww izzlesnizzle you've come to the right place. You'll get some good advice from some of the girls here! How much milk does she take in the day? I've often struggled with getting my LO to take his milk and recently he was taking tiny amounts frequently. So I dropped one bottle completely. He's only on 3 per day now and takes much more each time. It's so much better x

I need a strong coffee today as he decided to cry out (dream I think) at midnight, then I woke to him babbling at 5.05. He did self settle but then wanted to be up for the day at 6.10 :(
The night before he sttn 7.15 until 6.50. He is soooo unpredictable right now and my sleep is really suffering (not lo's fault, it's me that can't relax!)

He's just started really babbling 'rarara' 'gagagaga' 'dadada' two days ago. Like alllll the time. And he's so frustrated sitting now, but can't work out how to move. Am wondering if all this stuff is why his sleep has gone a bit skewy

Thanks Boo. Shes on 3 bottles a day now. She dropped the 11am bottle a couple of months back, so I give a little yogurt instead and a drink of water.

But lately shes gone off milk and only taking 3 or 4 ozs each bottle. I have tried putting milk in her food but the last week she wont have anything with lumps, that includes pasta, meat, anything that has any texture or lumps, she just retches and expels it all out then turns her head and starts licking the side of the highchair.

Meal times are really stressful and ive tried to not show how stressed im getting by singing, not looking at her, chatting away about anything other than food, eating with her etc. But shes just not interested. So much so shes waking for a bottle in the night now. Im totally gutted, she stopped night feeds 2.5 mths ago when she got going with solids.

I need a strong coffee today as he decided to cry out (dream I think) at midnight, then I woke to him babbling at 5.05. He did self settle but then wanted to be up for the day at 6.10 :(
The night before he sttn 7.15 until 6.50. He is soooo unpredictable right now and my sleep is really suffering (not lo's fault, it's me that can't relax!)

He's just started really babbling 'rarara' 'gagagaga' 'dadada' two days ago. Like alllll the time. And he's so frustrated sitting now, but can't work out how to move. Am wondering if all this stuff is why his sleep has gone a bit skewy

And I know what you mean about the strong coffee! They are so unpredictable. One night they might sleep through then the next the night is all over the place. Ive maybe been doing what you're doing- waking up before she wakes up coz I cant relax. Yesterday she was up at 5.10am but I woke up at 5am thinking oh she hasn't woken up yet that's strange, 10 mins later waaaaaa!!!

I guess if your LO has just learnt to babble then that could be the reason like you say, but its all just one big guessing game isn't it!

I know what you mean about mealtimes being stressful. :hugs: sounds like you're doing all the right things though, at least you recognise that you shoul try not to act stressed. You deserve a medal! My LO is *touch wood* good with solids but has given me soooo much stress over milk. There have been so many times I've wanted to just not give him any as its all a fight! But he always gets over it eventually. I'm sure your LO will one day just decide she likes lumps again. And you'll never know why she didn't! I just blame teeth for everything too. Helps if I think there's a reason..... lol!

Will try catch up with all the posts later... Just wanted to say ashlynn slept 6:30-5!! Amazing for her! :)

I think I might have to join in if that's ok? Yet another dreadful night. LO isn't eating well in the day and has started waking up for night feeds again. She hasn't had a night feed since 6.5 mths. I cant go back to them after all this time, this is so unfair!!! She cried non stop for 1.5 hours from 4.30am. Refused to be settled. Tried everything until we decided ok shes hungry, will have to make a bottle. She drained the whole thing then went back to sleep for 30 mins. I feel so hopeless about sleep right now, along with feeling totally hopeless about weaning, I could cry :-(

:hugs: mama, you're in the right place. We've been there.

In terms of milk, do you offer before solids? I try to give bottles an hour or so before meals. The milk has more calories than most solids and you don't want baby filling up on fruits and veg and then not wanting milk.

How established on solids is your LO? You may want to add some foods high in fat and protein, like yogurt, avocado, eggs, cottage cheese, etc.

I totally understand the stress over mealtimes. Like Boo, my LO has never liked milk and it can be a struggle.

Right there with both of you ladies on hating the unpredictability!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->