Rapid Cooling question

Skyy82

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a pretty stupid question, but can anyone tell me why you have to rapid cool bottles before you put them in the fridge? can they not just go in straight away? :shrug:

i think it is because they will raise the tempertaure of your fridge and also if you rapid cool it gives the bacteria less time to grow, at least i think these are the reasons

i think it is because they will raise the tempertaure of your fridge and also if you rapid cool it gives the bacteria less time to grow, at least i think these are the reasons

Exactly this xx

Think it's more to do with the fridge than the milk, I've heard putting warm things in the fridge can damage it or the other products in there!

Umm, I find the whole thing confusing. I put the right temperature hot water in then formula to stop bacteria at that point, then I have to rapid cool to stop bacteria again, I thought I got rid of it with the boiling water?

What is rapid cooling? Like, run it under the tap?

Can i just check.. I do my bottles half and half, so add boiling water to cool boiled water. So for a 4 oz bottle would i put 2oz fresh boiled water, add 4oz powder, shake. Then put in fridge until needed and add another 2oz boiling water to warm??

Can i just check.. I do my bottles half and half, so add boiling water to cool boiled water. So for a 4 oz bottle would i put 2oz fresh boiled water, add 4oz powder, shake. Then put in fridge until needed and add another 2oz boiling water to warm??

Yes thats fine. As long as you measure you 2oz of freshly boiled water in another container first, as when you add your 4 scoops to your 2oz of water, the liquid level will raise to above 2oz. So if you just topped up the bottle to the 4oz level when addeding the fresdhly boiled water, you would be adding less than the 2oz of water required to prepare the feed correctly. xxx

Food is at the "danger temperature" between about 5-65 degrees. If you put hot bottles in your fridge, you risk your fridge getting above 5 degrees and therefore other food in there could go off.
Although you have killed off the possible food poisoning bugs in the powder using hot water, it is impossible to eliminate all bacteria entirely - there are bacteria in the air even and obviously they can get in while you make up the bottle. There are bacteria on your fingers too. Bacteria breed rapidly on food in the danger zone - food needs to be piping hot or refrigerated. This is one reason why you have to stop using a feed an hour after you started - bacteria has had time to grow in it.

As kat2504 said bacteria will grow in the milk if left for a long time to cool so by rapid cooling they're cooled within 15 mins or so then put in the back of the fridge to slow down any bacteria growth x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->