Re-gifting: who's going to confess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungle

Mummy of 2 girls
Reaction score
So, the moment your child opens a present and they either say they don't like it or you know they'll never play with it, that's when I put it on top of my wardrobe to be used at a later date for a child's birthday gift. Does anybody else do this? If so, what's on the hit list this year?

I have done this once. This year there is only one present which is way too young for him (stacking cups for a 2 year old) so i'm thinking of taking it with some old toys up to the childrens ward.

Oh I re-gift a lot! Not children's stuff, not yet anyway, but I re-gift a lot of the presents I receive from my class. Sometimes I save stuff for Secret Santa. This year a family bought me a bottle of Georgio Beverly Hills perfume. I have loads of perfume already, so I re-wrapped it and gave it to my husband's best friend's partner.

Haven't done it with kids stuff yet. If they get something I know they won't play with, we typically just return it and they pick something else out.

I've regifted plenty of my own gifts though, lol. I don't use smelly lotions, bath salts, etc very often, so when people gift a ton of that stuff, I immediately set it aside with to be regifted items in our basement on a shelf just for gift items.

Thanks for your honesty ladies. My 4 year old received a particularly awful gothic doll, it was hard explaining why she couldn't have it!

i've not regifted the kids stuff as not alot of people buy for them and if they do they usually ask first or give money/clothes

i've regifted stuff people have bought me

2 things this year have gone into the 'move on' bag. A play doh set thing which will never get played with and a rubber duck bath thermometer which will go to the next baby that arrives in the family/friends group lol

Yes this year it was a set of animal print knives? lol and a star bucks mug which we have no where to put in the mug cupboard. To be fair the kids usually get really good presents so we havent had to do it and no duplicate presents this year which was fab!

I've done this actually this year. Rio had a couple of duplicate gifts that will be ok for some birthdays that are coming up. And I had a few little make up sets and things that I won't ever use so I've put those to one side too. I've put small post it stickers on them though so I don't re gift to the same family lol!

Guilty! I've done this a couple of times, DS gets given a lot of jigsaw puzzles for some reason, a few go to the top of the wardrobe as I wouldn't have them all down as he would just mix them all up, I forget about them until a party comes up, it's then first place I check to see if there are any sealed ones lol. A few things have gone straight to the top of the wardrobe this Christmas lol.

I've re-gifted duplicate toys he's had, but luckily no one has got him anything he won't like. I do however constantly pass on gifts from my mum! This year I got about 5 big smelly sets that I would never use, and my stupid OH hadn't got his family anything as his pay hadn't gone through (paid weekly and being a man left it all to the last minute :dohh:) so I gave them all to him rather than going to waste!

I've done this actually this year. Rio had a couple of duplicate gifts that will be ok for some birthdays that are coming up. And I had a few little cheap make up sets and things that I won't ever use so I've put those to one side too. I've put small post it stickers on them though so I don't re gift to the same family lol!

Why have I never thought to sticker them up with who bought them? Genius!

I haven't had to do the kids pressies yet, although some gifts from last Christmas that are hardly played with may end up on a selling site.
I do this with any body lotion etc gifts that I get though, everyone knows I can't use scented products and usually every year I get some kind of gift set.

Xx

I haven't actually re-gifted any of DDs things, but I have given a two things away that she had received duplicates of and I couldn't return. But I wouldn't think twice about selling them on or re gifting if its something I know the other kid would like.

I tend to return and exchange stuff I don't like for LO - LO's godmother is the worst for crap stuff but she always wants T to open it whilst she's here.

I tend to re gift a lot of the smelly stuff I get for Xmas as I never use them. I'm exchanging a Dior perfume my mum bought me for some vouchers to use on make up as I've got loads of perfume

My friend got my dd the most hideous jumper for Xmas last year that never got worn, and for some reason she's bought an almost identical one this year! It still has the tags on so I'm going to try an exchange it in store when I get a chance!

The same friend also bought a duplicate toy for DDs bday last year, and one that was too extravagant to pass on as a party gift, so I sold that :blush:

And I always regift things I get given...in the pile this year are some hand warmers and a mini flower vase!

I often want to regift, but I end up keeping it for charity collections or tombolas

I'm the same as most here, I sometimes regift sets and things I'm given that I know I won't use but haven't regifted anything for los *yet*. Dd got a duplicate octopals toy this Christmas from us and family but I'll just keep the other for when this one is done as both seem to love it and bath toys get heavy usage at ours. There's nothing they've had that I would regift tbh, my dad especially seems to know what they'd love and their gifts have so far been pretty spot on. That said I've had to return clothes for bigger sizes but still got the same so I must be pretty lucky :)

I tried that with his birthday, and my MIL got the freaking stuff down out of the closet and gave it to him! I had it packaged up in the top of the closet, what made her think I wanted DS to have it?

This Christmas he got a duplicate and one from a TV show that I hate, those will be saved to regift, donate, or sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"