Re-gifting: who's going to confess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep i regift my stuff! Ive got a big bag of it in my loft lol xx

Never with LO's presents, no. Though when he was a newborn I ebayed a lot of the clothes I got as gifts immediately as they weren't to my taste. This year I got a Lush gift card which was really nice as I used to love Lush but I've gone off of it recently so am going to give it to my sister for her birthday, as I know she'll love it.

I've not had to regift any of LO's presents, but a couple of mine have gone straight in the charity including an awful set of socks and an ugly hat that my mum made for OH :haha:

I've done it, and will continue to do it lol. LO got a toy for her birthday (in may) that she showed absolutely zero interest, despite being in her bedroom all that time. It still had all its tags etc on. My younger brother recently met someone who has a young son, so I regifted the toy. He loved it! :) I also regift toiletries etc too. Got a simple set that will be put aside for future regifting :)

I always do this with cheap smellies... im not a snob but I like nice smellies and nice make up :0)

I generally don't re gift and I hate people re gifting to me. If other people don't want stuff what makes them think I would want their junk? BIL and SIL I'm fairly sure have re gifted stuff to me in the past and the stuff went straight to the charity shop.
This year DH and I were give a random selection of alcohol one can of lager, one bottle of beer, and 2 bottles of wine. DH comments "this looks like they emptied their fridge".

However I would feel different with duplicate kids toys. So far he hasn't had any. However i have been known to return toys to the shop that just weren't age appropriate but I've also had the issue one birthday where toys were opened and whipped out of boxes before I could do anything. I think he was about 2 when he was given a pretend remote control (fisher Price baby toy) it made its way to the charity shop on my next run.

I generally don't re gift and I hate people re gifting to me. If other people don't want stuff what makes them think I would want their junk? BIL and SIL I'm fairly sure have re gifted stuff to me in the past and the stuff went straight to the charity shop.
This year DH and I were give a random selection of alcohol one can of lager, one bottle of beer, and 2 bottles of wine. DH comments "this looks like they emptied their fridge".

Just because I don't think so many electronic toys are appropriate for my son doesn't mean they are junk, just not my personal preference. Also, I'd re-gift a "Bubble Guppies" toy he got, because I can't stand the bubble guppies and I don't know why certain relatives started buying them, we don't have cable and never watch the show! You probably wouldn't know if people were re-gifting to you half the time, don't just assume it's junk because it wasn't their preference...

I can see about the emptying the fridge thing!

Thanks for your honesty ladies. My 4 year old received a particularly awful gothic doll, it was hard explaining why she couldn't have it!

Was it a "Monster High" doll by any chance? They are extremely popular.

I haven't got anything which I would regift, but if I didn't like something I'd keep it for a while then sell it if need be.

In fact, I regifted a hand massaging set to OH's nanna at Christmas which I received a few years ago. I knew she'd get use out of it, as I wouldn't.

Just because I don't think so many electronic toys are appropriate for my son doesn't mean they are junk, just not my personal preference. Also, I'd re-gift a "Bubble Guppies" toy he got, because I can't stand the bubble guppies and I don't know why certain relatives started buying them, we don't have cable and never watch the show! You probably wouldn't know if people were re-gifting to you half the time, don't just assume it's junk because it wasn't their preference...

What makes you think other people would want electronic stuff either. I didn't even know Bubble Guppies were from a show but why not ask for a gift receipt rather than passing it on?

Tbh when I said junk I was more thinking of cheap toiletry sets, trinket boxes, cheap earrings that have clearly done the rounds before.
A friend once gave me a pair of gold coloured earrings in a Next box. I don't have pierced ears and attempted to return them. The assistant considered it until it was pointed out that they may be in a Next box but Next only sell silver coloured jewellery!!!
My best guess is they were a re gift so we're charity shopped. I then decide to stop exchanging gifts with that individual.
And I've done the same with other friends who I suspected were re gifting things they didn't want.

I would never ask anyone for a receipt for a gift I didn't want I find that quite rude. I think when someone is re-gifting they're not necessarily "getting rid of junk" but doing just as the label says, regifting to someone they think will appreciate it. Im sure no one wants to give something they don't think someone will like but we can't get it right all the time.

What makes you think other people would want electronic stuff either. I didn't even know Bubble Guppies were from a show but why not ask for a gift receipt rather than passing it on?

:shrug: Obviously somebody is buying them! I am actually a minority amongst my friends that I don't get him the latest "educational" electronics. Also, most of his "friends" are varying ages and it might be more appropriate for a child a bit older than him.

It was given by someone who I didn't see, passed around to a couple of relatives before it got to me. They area really easily offended people, and I'd rather just re-gift or donate. His cousin really likes the show, that is probably why they started buying it for all the cousins.

I would never ask anyone for a receipt for a gift I didn't want I find that quite rude. I think when someone is re-gifting they're not necessarily "getting rid of junk" but doing just as the label says, regifting to someone they think will appreciate it. Im sure no one wants to give something they don't think someone will like but we can't get it right all the time.

Agree with this. I would never ask for a receipt to return something, I think that's pretty rude to blatantly let them know you are getting rid of their gift. If they include the gift receipt, of course they already are giving the okay to exchange/return if you don't like it or they wouldn't have bothered giving the receipt. Many stores return/offer store credit without a receipt, so I'd do that before asking the person for the receipt if they didn't give one.

Also, I wouldn't regift something I thought was "junk". I'd toss it/donate it if that's what I actually thought of it. If its just not my own personal taste, that's when I set aside to regift. It may well be a very nice gift to someone who has that taste in gifts. This is typically bath and body works gift sets, yankee candles, etc for me. I'm personally just not fussed with them. I know plenty people who LOVE them though, so its not just be offloading junk on others. Its regifting it to someone who would better appreciate it. Also, duplicate gifts. Again, nothing wrong with them, we just may not need more than one set, and someone else would appreciate it.

I think some people may be getting the wrong end of the stick here. I've said I regift but only to people I think will like the gifts that I don't. If it in general rubbish that nobody wants to receive I'll donate it to charity or sadly it will sit in my wardrobe forever lol.
I've ofteb regifted Yankee candles if I've been brought a fragrance I don't like, but I know someone else will. Is that passing on junk? Are they really going to know it came out of my candle cupboard and not from the shop? Probably not. X

I agree, I've regifted lots of things but only things I am pretty sure people will like! For Micah's gifts especially its common that he gets things that are too young for him or that he's not into. For example, he's never seen Peppa pig.. But at least half of his friends are obsessed with her, so if he receives a Peppa gift then yes I'll pass it on to someone who'll appreciate it. He also got some 2 piece puzzles for Christmas when he regularly does 45 piece puzzles, I don't see how it's bad form for me to give those to a younger toddler.

I've never done it in all honesty, I don't think I would ever feel right doing it lol x

Thanks for your honesty ladies. My 4 year old received a particularly awful gothic doll, it was hard explaining why she couldn't have it!

Was it a "Monster High" doll by any chance? They are extremely popular.

I haven't got anything which I would regift, but if I didn't like something I'd keep it for a while then sell it if need be.

In fact, I regifted a hand massaging set to OH's nanna at Christmas which I received a few years ago. I knew she'd get use out of it, as I wouldn't.

It wasn't actually a monster high but I can see that it's probably a supermarkets version of that kind of thing. Not one to wrap my kids up in cotton wool but I just didn't think it was an appropriate choice for a 4 year old. X

Really interested in reading all of your takes on re-gifting. For me, it's more about the fact that my house is tiny and so space is at a premium so I'm constantly having to sort through toys and re-home ones they no longer use. Seems to make sense to not let them just tear open things that I know will never see the light of day again after they've lost the initial interest. Saves me some pennies having some gifts to take to children's parties, which never seem to stop coming since DD1 has started school. Like others have said, I'd never re-gift junk.

I've regifted things before. I don't see a problem as long as the person you're giving it to is going to like it. For example I've been eating vegan for a little bit but people still will buy me non-vegan chocolates and the like so those tend to get saved and given to people who will eat them. My daughters seem to get a lot of color books, they don't really like to color, they've been given duplicate books and dvds before and those all get put aside to regift to friends.

I usually exchange gifts the kids won't like or that are duplicates. Oddly enough its DH's mother who buys the worst stuff. This year she bought ds a set of bath squirters that she also bought him for his 2nd birthday, and he already had them THEN so we had to return them. I'm allergic to perfume so I usually just give away any perfume I receive (which oddly enough I get every year from DH's mother too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"