Ready for weaning?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by lollylou1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. lollylou1

lollylou1 Mummy to Belle and preg

so i really wanted to hold off until 6 months but Annabelle has started waking in the night the past 2 nights, she waking about 2-3am and i am going in not talking to her and just giving her her dummy back, she dozes off for about 10 mins then wakes up again, i did this 2 times and have given her a bottle which she has completely drained every oz off.

is this a sign she needs more, she drinks 6oz bottles 5 times in the day and has slept through the night for weeks now.

i have tried upping the bottle to 7 oz but soon as she passes 6 oz she throws it all up

any advice would be grateful

Lou
    xxx

2. XKatX

XKatX Well-Known Member

According to the Baby Led Weaning thoughts, babies have a growth spurt around 5 monthish. This can be mistaken for being ready for weaning. Including being interested in food and sucking their fists. Lurching for food is only interest, as they lurch for anything that they see and is new.
    It depends which route you are going down - Baby Led or Prueed - as to how you want to see it though. I am doing BLW and have given Oliver food at 5 months. But he just wants to play with it. He isn't ready to eat it yet, just rub it in his hair and on the floor!
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do - it's great fun!!!

3. lollylou1

lollylou1 Mummy to Belle and preg

im doing pureed not BLW but i still dont want to give it to her if she isnt needing it yet thats all.

thanks for the reply Kat, hope your ok

Lou
    xxx

4. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

hmmm, it certainly is hard to tell when they are ready honey, could you possibly try another bottle during the day? or would that be too much? i would see how she goes, even maybe offer her some juice or boiled water and wait, a week or two and then see, not much help am i :dohh: x

5. Ema

Ema Mummy :) xxx

I agree some babies go through periods of just waking up. And even with food in there diet this can continue :dohh: i would go with what YOU thinks best. Only you really know your baby and can make that descision :) XxxX

6. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

It could be a growth spurt, if so it will even out in a few days.

7. carries

carries Mother of two under two!

Could also be teeth! OScar has had loads of nights of continual waking int he night recently and im sure he is teething. I would ride it out for a week and then look at it again then :)

8. alio

alio Well-Known Member

i would try a little bit of food for a few days and see how she goes on..... xxxxxx

9. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Pregnant with 2nd

Lauryn started waking up about this time around about that age. My HV suggested sneaking in another half bottle before the bedtime one, if you can try this? Worked for me, but I also started weaning around this time so you could try some baby rice around tea time instead.

10. bambikate

bambikate Mummy of 2 gorgeous girls

Hi hun - Izzy was very similar and is a hungry girl and I've started on some small spoonfuls of pureed veg etc at night for her to try - she LOVES it and now sleeps through again. My Doc and HV were happy with her starting early as shes the size of a 6 month old! lol x x

11. MoonMuffin

MoonMuffin Mom of 2!

If your going to start some solids go with something mild like baby rice (it's the easiest on their digestive system) , and try once a day for a few days and see if it makes a difference. If not it may be teething or just a growth spirt.