Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Got my DuoLogic yesterday and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It was pretty easy to fit and leaves as much space in front seat as I had before (something we were really worried about as DH is tall), reclining makes no difference either. LO loves it too!

Carseat.se were brilliant - answered all my questions and the seat arrived really quickly, can't fault them as a company, awesome.

(Delivery man thinks I'm crazy, squealing at the sight of a car-seat sized box, DH also thought I was crazy, I tried to get him to put it in the car when he got home from work at 11pm...)

Yay, glad it arrived safely and that it fits so well :)

OK I've just seen this on the mothercare website https://www.mothercare.com/Driver-Sp-Car-seat-Granite/dp/B0047T0NYS?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=44451031&sr=1-1&qid=1307000809&pf_rd_r=1XBDYFFHV08GQ4WPGN42&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=44451031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

Am I right in thinking this could stay RF for longer than it says? xx

OK I've just seen this on the mothercare website https://www.mothercare.com/Driver-Sp-Car-seat-Granite/dp/B0047T0NYS?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=44451031&sr=1-1&qid=1307000809&pf_rd_r=1XBDYFFHV08GQ4WPGN42&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=44451031&pf_rd_p=231490867&pf_rd_s=related-tab-3-5

In a word, no. I wouldn't use a seat past the guideline weight for RF even if the FF weight is much higher, because you don't know if it's just not been tested that high RF or if it failed the tests RF at higher weights. The forces that would affect the seat would be very different FF and RF so it does make a difference unfortunately. And especially on such a cheap seat, I just wouldn't trust it - typically a RF seat that lasts till 4 years will cost £200+ so I can't see them making a £40 ERF seat that actually works. If they did, they'd just increase the price!

In a word, no. I wouldn't use a seat past the guideline weight for RF even if the FF weight is much higher, because you don't know if it's just not been tested that high RF or if it failed the tests RF at higher weights. The forces that would affect the seat would be very different FF and RF so it does make a difference unfortunatly. And especially on such a cheap seat, I just wouldn't trust it - typically a RF seat that lasts till 4 years will cost £200+ so I can't see them making a £40 ERF seat that actually works. If they did, they'd just increase the price!

WSS ^^

I wouldnt *personally* Trust such a cheap seat anyways x

Ah I see thank you. In that case I can only afford to keep her RF until she reaches 29lbs, which will be about 14months judging by her weight chart. :/

Arrrgghhhhh i am sick to dead of people having an opinion on ERF that have done no research into it? Starting to piss me off now.

(Delivery man thinks I'm crazy, squealing at the sight of a car-seat sized box, DH also thought I was crazy, I tried to get him to put it in the car when he got home from work at 11pm...)

I know what you mean! We went to the Incarsafety centre in Milton Keynes on Saturday and got a Britax 2 way elite fitted and I am soooooo pleased with it! I keep going out to the car and looking through the windows at it! My DH also thinks I'm totally mad!

Just to add about combination seats....I've just moved Tom out of his Concord Ultimax which RF to 13 kg and then FF to 18 kg. He is 17 months but only 11kg so technically could have carried on in it RF for a while longer. But I found he was getting difficult to get into it due to the more limited leg room and he was constantly trying to sit more upright in it - its quite reclined RFing.

Ah I see thank you. In that case I can only afford to keep her RF until she reaches 29lbs, which will be about 14months judging by her weight chart. :/

IMO safer FF seats cost more than that anyway?? I have a FF maxi cosi in my mums car and it still cost £120... only a tiny amount cheaper than my ERF one in my car! And the weight growth will slow down, my LO was the same but once she hit 20lbs she slowed waaaaaay down, Shes probs only about 25 now and shes 17months and big for her age so dont worry too much!

^That's true. My LO was always big for her age (weight and height) but she's not gained much weight since she hit a year old really. She's now about 26lbs (about 11.7kg I think) at 20.5 months.

lyssa's ERF seat is ordered! weve gone for the 2 way elite (though im not telling my mother it faces both ways! ssssssh) as its only to be used as rear facing for us! so excited! ant wait til it arrives!

Ooh that's brilliant Siyren! Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive :)

I finally got round to taking a picture of Tom in his Britax 2 way elite.

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me advice about getting an ERF seat. If it hadn't been for this forum I never would have heard of them and have Tom in an expensive FF seat that still wouldn't be as safe.

First comment I got on Facebook when I put the photo up was "isn't it dull for him being backwards?"......so now I'm on a campaign to educate my friends too!

Tom looking a bit grumpy cos he was really tired this morning. I had to take the photo from the other side - the sliding door in the back got in the way on his side.

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252990_2006293550153_1028093763_2379292_7627134_n.jpg

I'm probably thinking about this too soon as LO is 8 months and is a little small for his age so still has plenty of room in his stage one car seat, but I was just wondering at what age most people have had to buy next stage ERF seats and at what stage does it become hard to find them? AND, which ones would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

x

I am also a little ahead more so than you littlestar85 , I'd like to ERF but have NO idea where stocks them after the first baby car seat.

x

Tom has just moved from a RF combination seat to the Britax 2 way - lots of reasons but basically he is tall but light so outgrew his infant seat at 9 months but was too light to FF at that point so I got the combination seat to keep him RF. He's now outgrown that height wise and I knew more so wanted to ERF him. The Britax 2 way only goes from 9kg anyway so we couldn't have bought it back in October and it is the only one suitable for our car.

The Incarsafety centre in Milton Keynes is brilliant - you can make an appointment to go and get a ERF seat fitted in your car or they will recommend you a seat over the phone/email if you can't get there. Their website is www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk.

carseat.se is also really good and you can email their expert, a lovely man called Hakan, who is happy to answer lots of questions.

Plus there are lots of lovely people on here who know way more than I do about ERF.

Thank you, I am only 20 mins from MK so I'll be going there!
DH doesn't understand why it's not the law to have babys rear facing for longer if it's not as safe to FF but he's happy to go with my thoughts. I don't know an awful lot about it but what I have read makes sense and if they do it in Sweden (they're a sensible lot) lol then I am doing it.

x

I think it will become law within a few years tbh!

hattiehippo he looks very comfy in there! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->