Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Hi!

I was telling a friend about a video I saw on here which showed why children should remain in RF carseats for as long as possible - the story was very sad about a kid who was in a bad way after an accident in his FF carseat... I cant seem to find it, can anyone point me to it

EDIT: Found it.

Hi everyone!

I'm really pleased cos I've persuaded my DH that Tom should stay RF as its so much safer and he's agreed we can look to get a ERF seat. He's currently in the Concord Ultimax combination seat RF but at 17 months is getting short on leg room and is also not always happy about the reclined position now.
I did turn him FF for 2 days (!) but started panicing about what would happen in an accident and I also felt the seat wasn't fitting tightly enough due to the very long seat belts in the back - even with the rachet on the seat, there was still lots of slack in the belt. So last night I turned it back RF - he's about 11kg so still under the 13kg weight limit to RF.

I emailed carseat.se yesterday for advice as our car has underfloor storage compartments which limit the choices - does anyone know how long it normally takes them to email back with recommendations. I really want to get going with getting another seat!

I've always had quite a quick reply from carseat.se, certainly within a couple of days.

I think you can get blocks to put in the underfloor compartments to make them "solid", or there is the Brio Zento seat which doesn't have a support leg :)

Thanks Eala and Purpledahlia. On their website there is a couple that don't have support legs so I'm hoping one of those is ok - it just needs to be smallish too so we can still put the other side of the back seat down when we go away camping.

Alternatively Tom might just have to go in the front - at least there support legs aren't a problem. Or get the compartments filled in....I'm not good at all these decisions!

Just to add - if you ended up going for a Brio Zento, check www.securatot.co.uk, as they have it for cheaper than carseat.se :)

My seat arrived from Sweden!! I must be really sad to be so excited over a darn car seat, but I am! I wanted to get it out and put it in the car already, but I figured then if DH, God forbid, got into an accident between now and Dinky being born, the carseat would be suspect for no reason. So it's in the bottom of DH's wardrobe.

Ooh that's fab, Kess! You're not sad at all, I posted a pic to FB when my carseat arrived :rofl:

I've looked on the securatot website and it seems that you have to go and get the seat fitted to buy it from them - have I got that right???

Just they're in Wiltshire and I'm in Essex so if I have to go there to get it, taking diesel costs into account, its prob about the same price to order from Sweden.

Says something about the price of petrol/diesel at the mo!

Yeh theres not a lot of retailers so guess you just have to work out whats best for you, ordering from sweden might not be more expensive after fuel costs, its ridic the prices just now :nope:

Hmm I think they deliver? They certainly talk about delivery - the Izikid has free delivery at the moment. I've not bought from them myself, right enough, as they don't do the seat I wanted. I know they have a bit at the bottom about the Vehicle List not being exhaustive, so they recommend fitting etc... But I don't think it's compulsory. I did just notice that the Brio is out of stock though :blush:

I think I'll give them a ring once I know more about which seats are going to fit my car.

Thanks for all the help with this. I feeling so much happier than when I turned him FF and he seems happier back RF. Today he sat in his car seat reading a book to himself for a 15 min journey - the 2 days he was FF he constantly dropped his toys on the floor and just didn't seem as comfy with his legs dangling over the edge.

I've never had Roo FF so I don't know whether she'd prefer it or not... But she certainly isn't unhappy being RF. We drove from Glasgow to Lincolnshire a few weeks ago, and she was fine for practically the whole journey, all barring the last half hour when I had to repeatedly sing "Old Macdonald" to keep her from screaming :rofl:

hello again:hi:

i have a dilema!
i need a second carseat, for my dads car, i can not afford another erf seat.

first question, more out of curiosity than anything, the seats listed as rear facing until 9kgs...why is that? why if the seat is suitable for use until 18kgs does it have to turn forward at 9?
something like this is what i am meaning...
https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...displayA_51_10751_-1_14569_125595_10001_14568

what i think i am going to have to do is buy a seat that rear faces until 13kgs which is going to last a while but not forever :(
was thinking of this one...
https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...displayA_51_10751_-1_14569_121940_10001_14568

is 13kgs the max sold in the average uk shop? i cant seem to find anthing higher..

why do erf seats ahve to be so blooming expecive it infuriates me :grr:

TIA! :flower:

I don't believe you'll find anything which RFs beyond 13kg under £200 in the UK :(

As you said, intensely frustrating.

I think when they say the weight guidelines it means it hasn't been tested above that weight, even if the seat might be suitable when the LO is heavier. I wouldn't risk it, you just don't know what would happen in an accident - even though RF is safer in general, that particular seat might perform worse RF than FF over the weight.

just thought i'd pop on and post a link:

theres a isofix erf seat on ebay, they dont crop up much secondhand dont know if anyones interested collection from lancashire

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Besafe-Izi-C...49?pt=UK_Baby_CarSeats_EH&hash=item53e7ab7291

eta:
https://www.paulstride.co.uk/rearwa...-car-seat-soft-pink-2148266-359944-751238.php

thats down to 199.99 on paul stride...bargain!

also i wouldn't use a seat past the weight limit rear facing, i just wondered why it was! x

Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me out. LO is fast outgrowing her first car seat, her arms are squashed in and her head is about an inch from the top of the seat, shes a big baby at 75th centile weight and 98th height. Now we dont actually own a car but we go out places a lot with people who do, for example shopping with grandparents and to our parents houses for tea etc. All the seats ive seen that are ERF are 200-300 pounds, which I cant afford. I could maybe go to £100 but not much more. I really want to keep her RF but dont know what seat we could afford that would fit most cars xx

Volvo Multitech i *think* is the cheapest at the moment, it was around £150 when i got it, Also very eacy to change in and out of cars unlike a lot of them which are big and bulky, just cant be sure that it will fit in every car you go into though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->