Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

if anyone has a volvo there are two of their own brand seats (not the rebranded multi tech) on ebay ex displays

£95 buy it now delivered!

heres one
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-baby-seat-/270771415042?pt=UK_Baby_CarSeats_EH&hash=item3f0b3be802

they are belt fit, it does state on another site they are only for volvos, but not sure about that :shrug:

x

Iv just orderd my britax first plus :happydance: I know its not an ERF seat but i cant afford one yet and since that seat was on offer though i would get it.

My daughter still fits in her infant seat (Primo Viaggio) so I am not at this problem yet, but nearly! My main issue is that we don't have a car (we live in London and don't need one for day to day use). On this basis I am firstly unsure whether to do ERF or not (cost vs amount we use car seat), and if I do, what brand to go for.

We occassionally hire a car (3 times in the last year) and so can be given any model, but we never opt for the smallest price bracket, I think last time we had a Renault scenic. She goes in my dad's car sometimes and she's been in my in-laws car maybe twice and my mum's car once. FIL has a Ford (I think it's a Focus). Dad has a mercedes C class (and stepmum a mercedes A class so they could use one or other I guess if it didn't fit in one). Mum has an Audi (I think it's an A7 but not sure, it's not one of the smaller ones anyway). So I would need a seat that can go in any of these cars. It is possible to get an ERF seat that will fit in a variety of cars like these? I didn't have the problem with the infant seat as I have the base that you put the seat into which goes on any seat with a cross chest seatbelt.

if anyone has a volvo there are two of their own brand seats (not the rebranded multi tech) on ebay ex displays

£95 buy it now delivered!

heres one
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-baby-seat-/270771415042?pt=UK_Baby_CarSeats_EH&hash=item3f0b3be802

they are belt fit, it does state on another site they are only for volvos, but not sure about that :shrug:

x

That's the seat I have (just a different colour upholstery). I would recommend it definitely and that's a great price. Mine only fits Volvos though (and is only approved for use in Volvos) so I'd look into it if you have another type of car. The description isn't very clear.

yeah it looks good, i wish i had waited i bought a secondhand mobi for my dads car which is a volvo, when i could have bought that! never mindddd.

discoclare i think the best bet is to go for the smallest seats available, i think its the hi way and another britax one...cant remember the name then even in small cars they will fit. i have the hi way and its really easy to install when you have got the hang of it, you could even buy spare tethers so you can leave the tethers in peoples cars which cuts the install time.

x

Discoclare, the seats I'd recommend are the Britax Hi-Way, the Britax/Volvo Multi-Tech and the Graco DuoLogic. Can someone who has the Hi Way confirm whether or not it has a support leg? Something I've thought of (from you mentioning the Scenic) is that both the Multi Tech and the DuoLogic have support legs, which you are not meant to use in cars with underfloor storage compartments. They aren't strong enough to take the force of a leg in the event of a crash, so carseats with legs shouldn't be used in them. I don't know if that's something you could just specify to a hire company?

Support leg issues aside, budget will be a consideration. The two Britax seats are available for £200, whereas the DuoLogic can only be imported from abroad, and comes in at £270 delivered. The DuoLogic rear-faces to 18kg, the other two rear face to 25kg. With that said, the DuoLogic has better recline positions (the MT doesn't recline at all, and I'm not sure about the Hi Way). Anyways, the reason I am still even mentioning the DuoLogic is that it can be installed with EITHER a seatbelt or Isofix. The other two are seatbelt only. To me, if you're going to be moving it between a variety of cars, that flexibility could be really helpful. If the car has Isofix, then great, it's easy to install. If it doesn't have Isofix, well, it'll install with the seatbelt. Which is also super easy and doesn't require tether straps.

Hope that gives you some options to look at anyway :flower:

I had to put my 4.5 year old niece in the duologic today, she fitted really well and didn't complain once so definitely know it's good for older children now.

Thanks for that. In which case... I think it'll come down to price and personal preference, then. I would be careful if you end up with something like a Xsara Picasso or Vauxhall Zafira/Meriva, as I think they sometimes have under-floor storage. I'm sure if you specify to a car hire company that the car can't have storage compartments, they should be able to work with that :)

I have researched the underfloor compartment thing and emailed Haken. His reply was:

We do install Rf seats with support leg in cars with underfloor compartments. We use support leg and also lean against front seat. Another good option is to place a larger piece of solid material on top of compartments and rest support leg on this

I am sure I also saw something which suggested lifting the flap to the compartment and putting the support straight through to the chassis of the car. Although it would depend o the length of the support arm. I don't know where I saw this though, so don't quote me.

oooh what do you think about it! lets see a pic when itas all installed x

Its not in the car yet as we dont have one but i love it, she looks tiny in it.
Shes only a diddy 16lb at 7 and a half months so should last her rear facing untill shes 3.

https://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad148/lozzy22minx/IMG_0641.jpg

Excuse the nappy's drying lol

Here's Niamh in her first class plus

https://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad148/lozzy22minx/IMG_0272.jpg
https://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad148/lozzy22minx/IMG_0271.jpg

My LO outgrew his regular infant seat at 4.5 months (LOL!) as he is a massive baby so he is now almost 15 months and in his Graco MyRide65 since then. We love it, it's so comfy for him, and have no plans to switch him soon.

Oh and my doggie being grumpy too. Just cause. This was a 3 hour drive.

Attachments

• myride.jpg
    myride.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • myride2.jpg
    myride2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2
Its not in the car yet as we dont have one but i love it, she looks tiny in it.
Shes only a diddy 16lb at 7 and a half months so should last her rear facing untill shes 3.

https://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad148/lozzy22minx/IMG_0641.jpg

Excuse the nappy's drying lol

That looks like a giant plush chair, LOL! Fantastic!

Anna has been in her new ERF seat for a couple weeks now.

We have the Maxi-Cosi Mobi - rear-facing to 25kg.

We were very lucky that Anna was in her infant carrier (rf to 13kg) til 18 months - she is only 12kg now, but we got the new seat anyway, as we have another one on the way soon - took us months to get this new seat too, struggle to find one that fits securely etc!!

Here are a couple pics...:flower:

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
well I got a car now its a vauxhall Zafria ( not my choice FIL brought the car ) so need seats for it for the boys i need ones without support legs caus i cant use a support leg in the very back seats as the floor isnt full depth back there. any ideas ladies?

i love the mobi, we used it for first time this week while visiting my dad
it fitted in both a ford focus and a volvo s70 but the front passeger seat had to go right forward in both. it would have been better to install it in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->