Reasons you SHOULD breastfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
unless you have HIV or a transmittable disease that can be passed through the breast milk then not breast feeding 'because it doesn't feel right' or, 'my mum never breast fed me' or 'ugh..breast feeding is so primitive' really doesn't cut it when it comes to giving a baby the best start in life.

I don't know why people are even needing to debate this subject! And its pointless me saying 'im pro-breast feeding' because its meaningless....its like me saying 'im pro-not stabbing myself in the eye'

when your baby is born you make the decisions for it and that would be whats best for baby. If you can of course.

There are some people i know who drink and smoke and eat crap should they BF? Its not always best.

It is wrong to think that people who dont want to should do it just because its statisticly most beneficial.

Its recomended you eat your 5 a day how would you like it if you were expected to and made to?

or if you were in a bar and they said youv had your recomended allocated allowence of alchol for this week so bye bye

There are some people i know who drink and smoke and eat crap should they BF? Its not always best.

It is wrong to think that people who dont want to should do it just because its statisticly most beneficial.

Its recomended you eat your 5 a day how would you like it if you were expected to and made to?

or if you were in a bar and they said youv had your recomended allocated allowence of alchol for this week so bye bye

mums shouldnt really be drinking and smoking should they? and your diet dosnt matter. Apparently its still better to give breastmilk even if you smoke,.

mums shouldnt really be drinking and smoking should they? and your diet dosnt matter. Apparently its still better to give breastmilk even if you smoke,.

No they shouldnt but they do so sometimes it is best for someone not to BF.

Ive read that as well, tbh i dont really believe it. i cant see how someone can plan smoking around a newborn demand feeding so their not exposed to it but im very anti smoking so im biased.

special_kala: I stand by my statement that every mother who is able should really try to breastfeed...even if you are uncomfortable with the idea of using your breasts for nourishment. Even if it means motivating yourself (the collective you) to stop smoking, drinking, or doing drugs.

Breastfeeding is the best nutritious personal choice a mother can make for her newborn. For those who are unable to breastfeed due to medical reasons, my heart goes out to you. For those who struggle with breastfeeding due to negative opinion, cultural pressure, past sexual abuse...my heart goes out to you too because I struggled with this, as well. Counseling would be wise to get past these issues. I am not trying to force anyone to do anything...I am thinking of what is best for the babies. I am advocating for the babies because they do not have a voice in the matter.

i dont understand why anyone feels they have the right to say that someone should do something with their baby that they just dont want to??

I am very pro breast feeding and think that yes it would be nice if everyone at least considered it but who am i to say that someone should do it.

Its up to the mum to take the advice, should is not like have to. but the right choice would be to.

I have to agree with Blutea...I think every mother who CAN, SHOULD try breast feeding. There really isn't any decent excuse not to.

yes TRY not be forced into carrying on with it if its not working or made to feel bad if they cant theres plenty of reasons and excuses why women dont/cant breast feed that are valid and until you yourself have TRIED then its very easy to say that all women should do it no excuses!

I have to agree with Blutea...I think every mother who CAN, SHOULD try breast feeding. There really isn't any decent excuse not to.

yes TRY not be forced into carrying on with it if its not working or made to feel bad if they cant theres plenty of reasons and excuses why women dont/cant breast feed that are valid and until you yourself have TRIED then its very easy to say that all women should do it no excuses!

I think a lot more women feel forced into stopping or are made to feel bad for wanting to continue trying when they're going through a hard time. If you (the collective you) try and want to continue trying don't allow anyone to pressure you into stopping.

Im choosing not to breastfeed and its up to me. Dont care about what anyone else says or thinks its my choice. Dont need to give a reason, dont need to justify myself to anyone. I dont tell other mums to ff....why should anyone tell anyone else what to do or make them feel bad for their choice. It reminds me of those that are deeply religious and just feel the need to preach to others. Extremely annoying.

Im choosing not to breastfeed and its up to me. Dont care about what anyone else says or thinks its my choice. Dont need to give a reason, dont need to justify myself to anyone. I dont tell other mums to ff....why should anyone tell anyone else what to do or make them feel bad for their choice. It reminds me of those that are deeply religious and just feel the need to preach to others. Extremely annoying.

Okay, let's try to stay on track and get back to the purpose of this thread...to encourage, support and offer accurate information to mom's who are interested in breastfeeding. This thread is not a debate. If you choose not to breastfeed and all you want to do is add your snippy reply please don't bother because it brings everyone else down. It's obvious you already have your mind made up so why did you even post this response?

Please, let's keep this thread polite.

https://www.phdinparenting.com/2010/07/01/i-wont-ask-you-why-you-didnt-breastfeed/

I won’t ask you why you didn’t breastfeed
by phdinparenting on July 1, 2010 · 128 comments

This post isn’t addressed to any person in particular, but is addressed to any friend who ends up not breastfeeding. I was inspired to write it when I read these words by my friend Arwyn from Raising My Boychick:

So make the space. When someone says she didn’t breastfeed because it was creepy, listen to her. When someone doesn’t want to tell you why she didn’t breastfeed, or gives you a reason you know to be false, realize you don’t know the whole story, and grant her her privacy. When someone says she didn’t love every damn minute of nursing, don’t assume she’s anti-breastfeeding.

Mostly, shut up and listen.

I agree with Arwyn’s words, but wanted to take it a step back and explain to my readers and friends why I won’t ask: “Why aren’t you breastfeeding?”.

Dear friend,

I won’t ask you why you didn’t breastfeed. It isn’t because I don’t care about you (I do). It isn’t because I don’t want to hear your story (I’m here to listen). It isn’t because I’m judging you smugly in silence (I’m not). But I won’t ask you.

I won’t ask you because it is none of my business. The decision to breastfeed or not is a very personal one. People sometimes have very personal reasons for choosing not to breastfeed. That can include medical reasons, past sexual abuse, or simply feeling repulsed by the idea of breastfeeding. Sometimes people really wanted to breastfeed and tried really hard, but it just didn’t work out and talking about it opens the wounds again each time. So I won’t ask, because I don’t want people to feel forced into telling me something extremely personal and I also don’t want them to lie about their reasons in order to avoid telling me something so personal. I respect your privacy.

I also won’t ask you because I don’t like people inadvertently spreading myths about breastfeeding. While a lot of people do stop breastfeeding for perfectly good reasons (personal ones or medical ones), there are also lots of people who stop breastfeeding because they believed something that just wasn’t true. Maybe they thought their breasts would get saggy (not true), maybe they thought they didn’t have enough milk because their baby always seemed hungry (sometimes true, but usually not), maybe they thought a bottle would help their baby sleep better (nope), maybe they believed that because their diet isn’t perfect that their baby wouldn’t get enough nutrients from breastmilk (not true). When they repeat those myths over and over again, other people internalize them, believe them, pass them along and contribute to myths passing as truths.

So I won’t ask.

But if you do want to tell me your story, which a lot of people do, I am here to listen. I will, as Arwyn suggests, first and foremost shut up and listen. When I respond, I will never question whether you tried hard enough or whether your reasons were good enough. That isn’t my place. I will support you and I will mourn with you the loss of your nursing relationship (if that is how you perceive it).

But, and this is where it becomes difficult for me, I will try to gently correct any incorrect information that you share. I won’t jump right in and say “that is complete nonsense”. Instead, I will ask questions and try to understand why you believe what you do. As I do that, I’ll try to find the most gentle, caring way to share with you the information I have that is different.

This is really hard because people get defensive. They may get defensive because they are using a commonly held breastfeeding myth as a cover for a deeper reason for not breastfeeding that they do not want to share and they really don’t want their cover to be blown. Or they may get defensive because they really believed that myth and if it isn’t true, then it puts their decision into question. I don’t want to blow anyone’s cover and I don’t want anyone to feel bad about a decision that they made, especially if they made it because of bad information given to them by someone else. But…but…but…I don’t want other women to give up on breastfeeding because they believe something to be true that really isn’t true and I don’t want you to be robbed of the opportunity to nurse your future children (if you want to) because you believe something that really isn’t true.

So I’ll listen, I’ll support you, I’ll support your decision (whether made with good information or bad), but I will, ever so gently, correct any information that is not true. And I’m so sorry for that. I hope you can forgive me.

Take care,

Annie

I should note as well, because I couldn’t find a way to work it into the letter, that if I know a friend is planning to breastfeed, I often try to arm them with good information (e.g. good books, good websites, how to find a lactation consultant) ahead of time and let them know that I am there if they have any questions at all. I extend the offer to help, but I don’t push it. It is up to them to take me up on the offer if they so choose.

Image credit: Lettres de Lou by Arslan on flickr

good for you but this thread isnt for you. You choose to look at it where its information for people who want to make an informed decision, you made yours now but move on and let others learn and make their decision. No one is preaching we are sharing information and bluetea has helped a lot of people in here.

So, on a positive note...

What do you look forward to most about breastfeeding?

And for the mothers who are/were breastfeeding, what do/did you cherish most about the nursing relationship?

I really love how breastfeeding is an instant tantrum stopper. When my son has a meltdown, then asks for "mommy milk" it's so precious because his whole body just relaxes and we have a chance to reconnect and I can talk to him gently about the right way to behave. I think our breastfeeding relationship has made him a sweet, sensitive, affectionate little boy.

The anti breastfeeding brigade should steer clear of threads like these, their responses are clearly emotionally charged and so not good for their pregnancies. The original poster is making important points on the benefits of breastfeeding for those who are interested in breastfeeding and she should be thanked for that.

BLUETEA- I was wondering about La Leche. Is is for mothers who already BF? I wanted to see if the organization would give me information before the baby comes :).

I think this post has been remarkably un-preachy actually. I totally agree with mumoffive in that I cannot STAND people trying to make me change my mind to their way of thinking or trying to make me justify myself. That's half the battle I had with breastfeeding in the first place (and I know a lot of FF mums get the same thing).

However, as others have said, this is a support group, not some preachy brigade trying to convert people. If you don't want to BF and don't want to read this kind of thing, don't read the post, it's that simple :shrug:

BLUETEA- I was wondering about La Leche. Is is for mothers who already BF? I wanted to see if the organization would give me information before the baby comes :).

All pregnant and nursing moms are welcome at the meetings. This link will help you find your local LLL meetings- https://www.llli.org/WebIndex.html
I'm sure your local group would be happy to give you information before the baby comes.

:roll::roll::roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back