recommended age

"Do you know back in the middle of this century the doctors used to suggest having a cigarrete to help cure a cough or cold? Thank god for medical science, huh? We can't always stick with the supposed tried and tested!"

Their could be loads of reason you have food intorlance as well as the how every many people their are in the world with them.

all i'm saying is these people change their mind like their underwear, i take their advise in I do, but i don't stick to them, my health vistor told me to give my eldest double cream, chocolate and anything that had sugar in it cos she is "underweight" doesn't matter that she was not eatting veg at the time all they were bothered was that she was under weight apparently, and no matter how much the health vistor told me to do this, their was no way i was going to give my daughter that much junk food cos she told me so.

I was working with a Great Ormond Street hospital dietician, who led me through weaning my daughter. Have to say we managed to hold out until nearly 6 months and it was then so much easier than all her friends who were weaned early. No mess, no fussy eating, no regurgitation, practically fed herself straight away.

Anyway....the dieticians say absolutely no way before 17 weeks.....it increases the risk of food intolerances so much, its just not worth it.

HTH's x

That's what I've been told too - at the weighing clinic they suggested that if Sam's weight gain was ok at 17 weeks (it was), I should try to wait until as close to 6 months as possible. Although they're obviously still growing between 3 and 6 months, the actual rate of growth slows down, so they don't actually need much of an increase in milk during that time. I guess all babies are different though, and if they're always hungry I don't see any harm in starting them earlier than 6 months x

my health vistor told me to give my eldest double cream, chocolate and anything that had sugar in it cos she is "underweight" doesn't matter that she was not eatting veg at the time all they were bothered was that she was under weight apparently, and no matter how much the health vistor told me to do this, their was no way i was going to give my daughter that much junk food cos she told me so.

That's awful! They seem to think that all kids should match their growth charts perfectly, and if they don't we've got to fatten them up any way we can?! You'd think they'd prefer that they were a bit under the average weight but healthy than being bulked up on junk food!

:-k:-k:-k This is one were all gonna have our own opinions on I guess......I personally would prefer to wean as close to 6 months as possible.....but if my baby was showing signs of needing to be weaned then I'd do it a bit earlier say 4/5 months old...I would leave it for a few weeks once the signs are there and make sure thats she's definatly ready.....

I weaned Ella at 18 weeks.......I probably could have and should have waited a bit longer, although the HV agreed to give her baby rice.....this time I will hold out as long as I can

xxxxxx

my health vistor told me to give my eldest double cream, chocolate and anything that had sugar in it cos she is "underweight" doesn't matter that she was not eatting veg at the time all they were bothered was that she was under weight apparently, and no matter how much the health vistor told me to do this, their was no way i was going to give my daughter that much junk food cos she told me so.

I think the one thing we are all absolutely agreed on is that there are some CRAZY health visitors out there!!!

I think the one thing we are all absolutely agreed on is that there are some CRAZY health visitors out there!!!

I agree on this one! ...the thing is we all have our own opinions....as do health visitors, so we all get told different things which just gets confusing....I guess we just have to go with our instinct and common sense and bear the guidelines in mind.........

I agree on this one! ...the thing is we all have our own opinions....as do health visitors, so we all get told different things which just gets confusing....I guess we just have to go with our instinct and common sense and bear the guidelines in mind.........

defo agree.

Erica's ped said to try rice at 4 months, but said it was a guideline. We gave her a couple spoonfuls and she didn't take to it, so we're gonna wait a while. 6 months isn't set in stone, in the US its standard to give cereals around 4 and start purees around 6.

"Do you know back in the middle of this century the doctors used to suggest having a cigarrete to help cure a cough or cold? Thank god for medical science, huh? We can't always stick with the supposed tried and tested!"

Their could be loads of reason you have food intorlance as well as the how every many people their are in the world with them.

all i'm saying is these people change their mind like their underwear, i take their advise in I do, but i don't stick to them, my health vistor told me to give my eldest double cream, chocolate and anything that had sugar in it cos she is "underweight" doesn't matter that she was not eatting veg at the time all they were bothered was that she was under weight apparently, and no matter how much the health vistor told me to do this, their was no way i was going to give my daughter that much junk food cos she told me so.

I agree.. there are loads of reasons you could get food intolerances. My son eats cereal in the morning and a puree around dinner time, and still eats 32-36 ounces of formula every day. Taking a 6oz bottle every 2-3 hours. I was fed early and so was just about everyone I've ever known.. we are all fine and healthy.
I think people now a days freak out about stuff and just worry to much. Like my mom told me once: she works at a nursing home and sees 90 year old people walking around smiling, and then the younger ones who are 70 taking 10-20 pills a day and 'cannot' get out of bed. Different generations, new things 'not' to do.. thats like they say now not to eat certain parts of pig.. pig meat causes cancer. So is noone going to eat bacon?
Anyways, not trying to get anything started because I do believe every kid is different. I started eating at 3 weeks, but there was no way I was feeding Colton at 3 weeks.. I didn't think he was ready. And there will be lots of kids who aren't ready at the age I started Colton, my next one might not be.. I'm just saying every kid is different and some are ready earlier.

My best friend has severe food allergies and severe asthma so she's been doing her own research on how to prevent her own children from having the same issues when she's ready to TTC.

The info. she found said that breastfeeding exclusively for the first 6 months and continuing to use breastmilk for the next 6 months reduces the likelihood of allergies and asthma.

I don't know percentages or where she did her research but figured it's something worth passing on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->