Recurrent Miscarriage Thread

Oh wow Radiance! Such a journey to get him here. Well I'm glad you both are ok. That is such an ordeal.

Have any of you ladies tried IVF with PGD?

We had a consultation with a consultant who said that as 2/3 of ourr losses were due to chromosomal issues (bad luck, contributed by my OH's 44-52% sperm DNA fragmentation) (the third one wasn't tested), then the only way to ensure that losses didn't occur again to chromosomal issues would be IVF with PGD.

Now he didn't necessarily say that was the only way to proceed, he said that we could carry on trying naturally and statistically would succeed eventually.

He also said that there may be other contributory issues. My last losss was due to Trisomy 21 and he said that doesn't normally lead to MC. I also have elevated NK cells and a small septum although the Dr doesn't recommend surgery for it. And these could be contributory factors.

Any advice appreciated :)

Sweetkat, I'm in the same spot as you. That's what we've been told. IVF with PGD or keep trying. We've opted to try naturally still...

sweet, I had a huge septum removed Nov 2010, had 2 early mc before and 2 early after removal (plus a super early chemical the month before I conceived my twins) and I needed it removed I think it totally helped me (had twins 4.5 years ago with IUI, injectable stim meds, prednisone, progesterone, lovenox, baby asp, etc etc. I had saline infusion in Sept and it looks like a tiny bit of the septum started to grow back so ideally I would had it removed as I'm ttc again BUT, I'm 41 now so there's that. my numbers are a little better than average for LH, FSH, AMH but my progesterone is always low. I was 36 when I had the twins.
anyway- if I were you, I would have the septum removed. how did they determine it? they couldn't tell if I had one until they went in with laparoscopy and did hysteroscopy, they could only see I had a heart shaped uterus and I even did MRI, Ultrasounds, saline infusions and HSG dye test and they still couldn't tell until the lap/hys. To do my surgery again would cost me 4000 out of pocket so I'm waiting and might not do it as it was like a centimeter, just a tiny bit on 1 side of my uterus.
if you can afford it, I would do IVF with PGD, I would love to do it myself but for a multi-cycle with stim meds it's 25,000 USD out of pocket.
I used to get pregnant easily but now I've tried for the past 3 months and nothing. Used to get pregs within 1-2 months of trying but my age is NOT helping.
i LOVED being pregs too, only got to be fore 7.5 months as they were born early and would love to be pregs again but sadly I'm not sure it will happen. but I just thank god I got to have the twins, I was SO scared I would never be able to have kids. it's an awful feeling.

6 years since my 2nd m/c and I'm really struggling. Waiting for OH to get home from work and really not sure what to do with myself until then. I'm a mess.

Sweetkat, I'm in the same spot as you. That's what we've been told. IVF with PGD or keep trying. We've opted to try naturally still...

What's your previous history? We have one DD where NK cells and the septum didn't seem to matter. The fragmentiaon may or may not have been there as we never tested.

I want to try naturally but am 36 and am scared that will leave it too late for IVF.

sweet, I had a huge septum removed Nov 2010, had 2 early mc before and 2 early after removal (plus a super early chemical the month before I conceived my twins) and I needed it removed I think it totally helped me (had twins 4.5 years ago with IUI, injectable stim meds, prednisone, progesterone, lovenox, baby asp, etc etc. I had saline infusion in Sept and it looks like a tiny bit of the septum started to grow back so ideally I would had it removed as I'm ttc again BUT, I'm 41 now so there's that. my numbers are a little better than average for LH, FSH, AMH but my progesterone is always low. I was 36 when I had the twins.
anyway- if I were you, I would have the septum removed. how did they determine it? they couldn't tell if I had one until they went in with laparoscopy and did hysteroscopy, they could only see I had a heart shaped uterus and I even did MRI, Ultrasounds, saline infusions and HSG dye test and they still couldn't tell until the lap/hys. To do my surgery again would cost me 4000 out of pocket so I'm waiting and might not do it as it was like a centimeter, just a tiny bit on 1 side of my uterus.
if you can afford it, I would do IVF with PGD, I would love to do it myself but for a multi-cycle with stim meds it's 25,000 USD out of pocket.
I used to get pregnant easily but now I've tried for the past 3 months and nothing. Used to get pregs within 1-2 months of trying but my age is NOT helping.
i LOVED being pregs too, only got to be fore 7.5 months as they were born early and would love to be pregs again but sadly I'm not sure it will happen. but I just thank god I got to have the twins, I was SO scared I would never be able to have kids. it's an awful feeling.

They did a 3d scan and saw a heart shaped uterus and a small septum. Thing is, my first MC was for reasons unknown at 8.5 weeks. Second was definitely a chromosomal issue as baby never grew right and had a large yolk sack. MC 3 was trisomy 21 so definitely chromosomal but the consultant thought the NK cells or septum could have contributed. He isn't recommending surgery now but I haven't had a hysteroscopy. Grrrrrrrr maybe I should have the surgery to eliminate one more possible obstacle?

You are sooooo lucky to have twins :). Did they think the septum was a reason for the MCs? Because then why did they also happen once it was removed?

I am 36 and a bit scared that if I don't do IVF I will have wasted precious time.

I could afford the IVF with PGD if we never move to a bigger place, but to me the baby would be a priority, forget the house. Maybe I will do it - although I am slightly scared of IVF and even more scared if it fails :(

the septum could've contributed i'm sure but the exact reason is unknown, implantation issues, I never had anything form other than blighted ovums that either came out at 5-6 weeks with my period and the first one (i was 24) I had a D & C. given I have low progesterone and 27 day cycles i have a slightly short luteal phase, I had NK cells (blood) of 11 I think? and they give prednisone at 12 and above, I got prednisone too though. so i never had a heartbeat or anything even form in the sacs that I knew of before I actually had the twins. The twins were technically triplets but 1 was a blighted ovum that 1 nurse saw and showed me then it was gone soon after
i wouldn't be scared of IVF at all but I've given myself over 100 injections in my stomach (I was terrified of needles but quickly got over it) and I've done the stim meds. just haven't had egg retrieval or that stuff but I've had so much stuff done to my uterus that it doesn't phase me anymore lol.

the septum could've contributed i'm sure but the exact reason is unknown, implantation issues, I never had anything form other than blighted ovums that either came out at 5-6 weeks with my period and the first one (i was 24) I had a D & C. given I have low progesterone and 27 day cycles i have a slightly short luteal phase, I had NK cells (blood) of 11 I think? and they give prednisone at 12 and above, I got prednisone too though. so i never had a heartbeat or anything even form in the sacs that I knew of before I actually had the twins. The twins were technically triplets but 1 was a blighted ovum that 1 nurse saw and showed me then it was gone soon after
i wouldn't be scared of IVF at all but I've given myself over 100 injections in my stomach (I was terrified of needles but quickly got over it) and I've done the stim meds. just haven't had egg retrieval or that stuff but I've had so much stuff done to my uterus that it doesn't phase me anymore lol.

It all so complicated and nobody knows the reason for MCs it seems. For me after a d&c for my last loss (which was on the day i would have been 11 weeks and so they didn't recommend natural) I don't know whether to keep trying, have IVF, have the septum removed, wait for OH's fragmentation to improve or sth else.

From last September until end of June I was constantly pregnant or trying resulting in 3 MCs. Since June I have had a D&c, every test going and saw about 5 different doctors but in a way has been the hardest time because I am not pregnant or trying and in a limbo.

I will make an appointment for when my OH gets back (he is away for 2 weeks) to discuss IVF with PGD, which means December is also wasted (OH gets back the day I ovulate lol).

What's your previous history? We have one DD where NK cells and the septum didn't seem to matter. The fragmentiaon may or may not have been there as we never tested.

I want to try naturally but am 36 and am scared that will leave it too late for IVF.

I had two healthy boys 16 months apart. A few bumps along the way but both healthy and fine. Then last Nov when my youngest was 10 months, I had a chemical. Feb a mc, May another and another in August. My RE doesn't "believe" in NK cells (frustrating) and thought testing my DH sperm would be a waste of money since we have two normal boys. I have had a normal hysteroscopy and a normal HSG. All hormones seem normal. Blood clotting tests normal. He thinks our losses are due to genetic issues. But I am to take luteal phase progesterone and baby aspirin. He has offered for us to do IVF with PGD as that would be our best chance. But he said statistically we'll probably succeed on our own eventually so it's up to us! IVF is so financially out of reach for us so that made the decision. My heart just aches because I'd love nothing more than some sort of chance that this won't happen again. I'm 27 so we still should have lots of time. But if you can afford it, maybe do consider the IVF with PGD. It's so difficult. At times I don't even know what I'm doing anymore and I don't recognize how we got to this point. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I had two healthy boys 16 months apart. A few bumps along the way but both healthy and fine. Then last Nov when my youngest was 10 months, I had a chemical. Feb a mc, May another and another in August. My RE doesn't "believe" in NK cells (frustrating) and thought testing my DH sperm would be a waste of money since we have two normal boys. I have had a normal hysteroscopy and a normal HSG. All hormones seem normal. Blood clotting tests normal. He thinks our losses are due to genetic issues. But I am to take luteal phase progesterone and baby aspirin. He has offered for us to do IVF with PGD as that would be our best chance. But he said statistically we'll probably succeed on our own eventually so it's up to us! IVF is so financially out of reach for us so that made the decision. My heart just aches because I'd love nothing more than some sort of chance that this won't happen again. I'm 27 so we still should have lots of time. But if you can afford it, maybe do consider the IVF with PGD. It's so difficult. At times I don't even know what I'm doing anymore and I don't recognize how we got to this point. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I am sorry you are going through this too. We have a healthy DD and yet 2 years after she was born I had 3 MCs in a row (last November, then March and then June). My OH had his DNA fragmentation tested (mainly because he is on medication that can cause this) and it was 44% in two tests and 52% most recently. My dr said that DNA fragmentation doesn't mean we can't have a healthy child but increases the risk of MC by about 15% (so from about 25% at my age to 40%).
My tests also came back normal apart from slightly elevated NK cells and small septum.

Are you trying now? I am tempted but can't face another MC so seriously considering IVF with Pgd.

My dr also said that at my age statistically we will succeed eventually but could mean several more MCs and as I went to 10.5 weeks last time, I can't face it. If they were 5,6,7 weeks and I could MC naturally would be more bearable.

The idea of facing more losses is horrible. My first two this year were earlier and natural but the last I had a d&c. It's so incredibly draining.
We are trying now. Since I've been having losses I get pregnant right away but I've had two bfn months now so I'm not sure what's going on there. Some days I want to just scream and throw in the towel. Please keep me updated! You're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope IVF is your answer ❤️

The idea of facing more losses is horrible. My first two this year were earlier and natural but the last I had a d&c. It's so incredibly draining.
We are trying now. Since I've been having losses I get pregnant right away but I've had two bfn months now so I'm not sure what's going on there. Some days I want to just scream and throw in the towel. Please keep me updated! You're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope IVF is your answer ❤️

I am really hopeful we will have our babies soon. 2016 was a leap year and it was just such a disaster for many people. 2017 will bring good things :)

I am tempted to try naturally, but as my last loss was also a D&C I am a bit scared of another one because of possible complications.

I have also put on around a stone since last November due to all the emotional and physical toll on me and my body. If I have more MCs I could end up a fat blob. Mind you, IVF and pregnancy do that too ��

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/resear...-health/research/sperm-dna-fragmentation.aspx

Very interesting reading for those with unexplained losses - may be your OH sperm's fault!

Considering whether to do IVF. Apparently chance of success is 33% on average per cycle, but as even with IMSI they don't actually know whether the sperm selected is fragmented, then is it worth the effort?? I was recommended ICSI with IMSI with CGH. My OH has 52% fragmentation at the moment.

Trying-It's hard to say what all my naturopath has done/found because it changes so much and it's often been something that isn't directly fertility related. But we have found I'm chronically low in folate (which we now know is due to my MTHFR mutation), my hormones were incredibly screwed up earlier on and still go wonky periodically-stress is a BIG reason for this, I tend to need supplements for blood clotting or other bleeding related issues (again this is likely due to my MTHFR) and I have had a slight thyroid imbalance in the past which we fixed a few years ago-this was actually documented by my OB/GYN. I had a thyroid test done after one of my early miscarriages and my TSH was over 2 at the time. My doctor wasn't concerned though and I didn't know that it was too high until the last year when I was going through my medical records for another test result. However, my ND had found my thyroid needed support and had put me on a thyroid supplement in the meantime. My next TSH was 1.2 and it hasn't changed from that unless I've been pg since. As for how my ND tests me, he uses muscle resistance testing to see what my body thinks is the main priority for 'fixing' and chooses the supplements/treatments the same way. Different practitioners use different testing methods and I've seen an ND who uses accupressure and a computer to find the source of the body imbalance as well as the necessary treatments, an ND who simply put her hands on my belly/low back and felt the 'current' going thru me to figure out what I needed (this was just a chance encounter in a hallway and I happened to ask her about doing a phone consult but she did a five minute energy test and answered my question then/there), and an ND who wanted me to do a mineral hair test before doing a phone consultation with the results. I've talked to a homeopathic doctor, numerous chiropractors, and an accupressurist. I've run the gamut of natural testing at this point but I will say I've seen the best results with the ND I started with and continue to see today. My best advice is to go with your gut instincts and if you trust that your ND is doing the best they can and you are okay with their methods, then stick with it. It's been eight years since I started seeing my ND and it's taken a VERY long time to get some of my issues sorted out because natural medicine isn't a quick fix. It's taken two YEARS of monthly chiropractic appts and naturopathic appts to get my back pain taken care of and my fertility issues have shown up periodically because of the nature of my issues and because we've had to stop treatments due to pregnancy. My 1.5 year break has been a blessing in that regard.

I'm sorry if this reply turned into a novel but I have been in your shoes and I know what it's like to have no answers and nothing seems to be working. Hang in there and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi DairyMomma
I have just seen this i am so sorry. So much has gone on lately. I am pregnant again but am fearing that MC number 4 is looming. But I won't go into that now as I am trying to get through the next 6 days before my next appointment.
You have had so many tests done. I really don't think that the NHS here do half of these tests. I have heard of MTHFR and have always wondered if that is something they look into here. I think I may of had a thyroid test a while back. I am not entirely sure on what I have had exactly and the hospital doesn't seem to have a clue.
Your ND sounds fab! Sometimes I think it is a better way of treatment as Western medicine doesn't always find the route cause.
I am still with my acupuncturist for now. She really straightened out my cycles. But in terms of helping me to carry a baby to term I really don't know if she can help with that, time will tell. I think with anything we just need to go with our gut and see how things go.
I don't mind the novel at all :flower:

I'm just popping in to say Hi, currently going through my 3rd early miscarriage in a row and gp is referring me to rmc, I have no idea what to expect.

Welcome, myheart. I'm sorry you find yourself in this position but glad you found this forum. It's not all that busy here (though it seems to be a bit busier of late) but we're happy to chat and do our best to answer your questions.

As for what to expect, the dr will likely take a full health history of both your and your SO as well as extended family members. They may want to run some preliminary blood tests to check some numbers (mostly hormones and thyroid) before looking into anything further but it's different for each person.

Oh, and I'm Jill, 31 year old mom of 3. I've had 11 losses before, between, and since my kids were born and my current diagnosis is MTHFR/clotting issues and low progesterone levels in early pregnancy.

Hi everyone. I hope it's okay for me to join you. I just had my third loss, but it was not in a row. I had two previous losses, then a live birth, and this third loss. My doctor has referred me for a recurrent miscarriage blood panel.

I hate that my feelings about this most recent loss were basically, "par for the course." It's like, this is old hat, and exhausting. My husband and I are seriously talking about staying a one child family. I am so over this TTC rollercoaster. Infertility and multiple miscarriages are so hard on our marriage.

Welcome madtowngirl! I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm Jill and I've had my own share of RMC issues. The long story short is 12 m/c, 13 angels, and 3 miraculous children in between. After 8 years of searching, I found out I have a genetic mutation that causes bleeding issues and this is likely the biggest reason for my m/c (though I suspect there is something more even if my drs don't.) However, in the year and a half since my diagnosis, I've only had one pregnancy and it was a chemical that ended at 4+3 so I have no idea if my new medication protocol will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->