Reflux?

ruth222

Mum of 1 to be Mum of 2
Reaction score
Ok in need of some advice here, I explained some time ago now, not long after baby was born about throwing up milk. I mentioned it to HV and was told he was putting on weight so it was ok, and would probably 'grow' out of it. He is now 14 weeks old and is still throwin up, its not after every feed though, some times is projectile sometimes its a little bit. Its every time we wind him, tried everything winding him more often, sitting him up when we feed him, using dr brown bottles.

We thought it would eventually stop as his digestive system matures. But it hasn't, like this morning its been projectile again, and it can't be nice for him, its just fresh milk. He wears a bib 24/7 as even ages after he's fed he will throw up usually thick cottage cheese type stuff! Then this morning when he woke up he pretty much opened his eyes and threw up projectile fresh milk which he had drunk 4 hours previously. As its not improving do you think this is reflux? and is there anything the doctor can actually do? for those of you who's LO's have suffered with this did anything work for you that the dr gave you etc?

We weighed him 2 weeks ago and he hadn't put on as much as he should have but only by a very small amount, so he can't be affecting him that much but for my sanity and LO's I think it would be nicer all round if he didn't throw up constantly, poor lil one. The amount of times we've visited family and they've been covered in it lol.

Please help! :)

Ffion's started being like this the last few weeks, i've asked the HV but she said i have nothing to be concerned about as she's putting on weight. It can't be nice for her though!

Have you been to the doctors? I haven't been but i've been thinking about it, i just don't want him to turn around and tell me exactly what the HV said!

I would definitely go to the doctors! As far as I understand, the general rule is that babies with significant reflux don't put on weight very well but every case is probably different.

Thanks I think I'll make an appointment with the doctors in that case. It is very strange, its also not consistent though. Like this morning it was everywhere and loads of it, at his lunch time feed, nothing came up, its very strange.

Its very very normal for babies spit up to increase. I was told between 4 and 5 months they peak and then it will start to go down as they start solids and there digestive system matures more and more. Athena has pretty bad reflux and this is what her gastroenterologist told me to expect. It makes since to me as they will start drinking more so have more to spit up. Not a bad idea to get him checked out anyways though. It never hurts.

Thanks Kelly, that's helpful as Ruby's spitting up has recently increased in line with her formula intake...

I would definatley see a doctor if i were you, it doesnt sound right to be being sick like that, some babies are quite sicky but to keep having prejectile like that isnt normal hun :hugs:

emelia does this and she has infant gaviscon which helps alot otherwise she would be constantly soaking wet clothes

Hiya,

Liliah has this too. As well as the sick, she screams a lot with pain when put on her back, and seems to have colic too. Some days she is really sick - like yesterday. Then today not so. I give her infant gaviscon too. If I dont put it in her feed we would all be covered in sick all of the time.

The HV said its ok as long as they gain weight, but surely screaming and being sick isnt nice? It isnt for me I know that much. I would go and get checked hun. If you're still not happy, go back and see someone else. Keep on until they give you something to try. Keep us posted x

Oliver has reflux and is on Infant Gaviscon, it was helping till last week so we have now been referred to the hospital. He is gaining weight but they are still helping him, I would go to the doctor and keep going till someone listens to you. Oliver was being sick but was also waking up screaming in pain and really not himself most of the time. Get it checked out hun, hope all goes well, take care :hugs: XX

Thanks for all the replies, he never looks like hes in pain, never screams or anything like that, but I think I will go the docs anyway see if they can help, fingers crossed!

Definitely take him to the doctors x

I would take him to the doctors. My daughter was extremely premature and suffers from reflux, it is horrible to watch. She is on the highest dose of Domperidone and Ranitidine and Gaviscon. She occasionally projectile vomits however her most common symptoms are extreme arching of her back, holding her breath when choking turning dusky and fussing when she starts to feed. It is hard to get her to take a full bottle sometimes. She does deal with the pain quite well, fussing rather than screaming but I hate holding it.
When you wind your LO, does he cough? If so that could be reflux, my LO does it all the time.

I'd agree with the others about getting docs to check it out but the fact he's putting on weight without being on any meds is a good sign :thumbup:

Findlay has very severe reflux and is on the max doses of domperidone, ranitidine and in the end they had to put him on Omeprazole to try and control it and even with all of that he was still vomiting almost constantly and doing a really horrible high pitched screech all day and night in pain and so the only way they can get milk into him and staying in him is to tube feed him so he has 22ml an hour dripped into his tummy 0.25ml at a time and he's a totally different baby and only screams when he's having a particularly bad reflux day like he is today.

My Son had very severe refulx. He was on Prevacid solutabs 15 mg from 6 weeks old until 3 years. I had doctor after doctor tell me "every baby throws up, go home and deal with it." My son was throwing up 30-50 times a day and screaming for up to 16 hours a day. Then he refused to eat and was admitted to ICU for 3 days. My son was born at 10lbs and always put on weight but he was in tons of pain.

Even after he was on the Prevacid he still spit up until he was about 7 months. The solids helped a lot with the spit up but he was still in a lot of pain if he didnt take his medication.

Also one thing to remember... CLEAN YOUR CHILDS MOUTH AFTER EVERY SPIT UP. I always cleaned his mouth but his reflux was too much. All the enamel has been worn off of the back of his front teeth. I have to be very diligent about brushing or he will loose his teeth to early.

Most children out grow infant reflux by the time they are 2.

My son was also on Ranitidine at one point when he was under 6 months old. It was just on the news that they recalled this medication in the US. Scared the crap out of me but make sure you ask your docs about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->